Please help! Sugar levels sleeping. My levels are 8 when I sleep but I wake up at 14.

Tessy89

Hi all. I was wondering if you could help. I am on humalog Mix 50 50 and I take 25 units before I sleep. I usually wake up and check around 2 or 3 hours after because my sleep isn't good and my sugar is a perfect 7 or 8 but then after a couple of hours sleep I wake up with my sugar at 14 and higher, I haven't ate anything, no sugary drinks. I don't understand what's happening?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It may help if you coudl tell us what type you are, tyep1? type 2, type 3c, other?

I know my sugars levels start to raise at 3am due to the dawn phenomenon, so I can go to bed at a perfectly good level and wake up sky high (I can see on my libre that its fine til about 3am), it could be something like that, but knowing what type diabetic you are would help people to given relevant answers

Tessy89

It may help if you coudl tell us what type you are, tyep1? type 2, type 3c, other?

I know my sugars levels start to raise at 3am due to the dawn phenomenon, so I can go to bed at a perfectly good level and wake up sky high (I can see on my libre that its fine til about 3am), it could be something like that, but knowing what type diabetic you are would help people to given relevant answers
Oh gosh my bad! They are currently testing for mature onset diabetes but there's been no Cleer type said for me yet even though I was diagnosed over 10 years go. What is dawn phenomenon?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Oh gosh my bad! They are currently testing for mature onset diabetes but there's been no Cleer type said for me yet even though I was diagnosed over 10 years go. What is dawn phenomenon?

Dawn phenomenon happens when your liver sends out extra sugar so that you can be active when you wake in the morning.

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrites, liars, donald trump (no capitals for emphasis)
Hi Tessy89. I am also so-called mature onset and over the last 2 years I have got my A1cs down to below the diabetic level. My last test was 6.2 ml. I still get the dawn phenomenon. It can be affected by any meal/snack before going to bed. I try and keep my snack to no more than 6 carbs even then my waking level (with Freestyle Libre) often goes from about 5.5 or less during the night to over 8.0 about an hour after waking. A few months ago this was less but I couldn't exercise (guess why), my weight went up by 8 lbs and this gave my liver more material to do the morning glucose dump. I am gradually losing the weight again so the glucose level is usually about 7.5. I believe fat around the waist is the key (for me). Find out what works for you. No supper, lose weight, more exercise...