Will I ever eat normally again?

Araldite!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diagnosed with T2 3 months ago and taking metformin twice daily.
I’ve been told that taking the meds would allow me to eat a sensible normal diet . However I’m finding that far from the truth. My normal diet would have been cereal for breakfast. Sandwich for lunch. Fruit. And pasta or meat and 3 veg for dinner. Now I can’t eat what I would class as a normal dinner without becoming symptomatic. The thirst I have is unbearable.
I have found a very restricted diet keeps my symptoms at bay but “Is this it?” Eating like this the rest of my life? I feel so overwhelmed and can’t seem to find an answer anywhere.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum.
I went keto as soon as diagnosed in 2017. I find the diet sustainable and I eat things I enjoy. Breakfast is bacon and eggs.

What sort of food are you missing?

Araldite!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m missing the ease of being able to just have my cereal or a bit of toast in the morning . I don’t eat a lot of meat usually so it’s really difficult finding a balance of no pasta/potatoes/rice.
I hate having to think so much about every morsel that passes my lips.
You can tell this is really affecting me. Sorry for griping. Like I said. I feel so overwhelmed.
Thank you for replying.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gripe away!

There are substitutes. For potatoes I substitute either cauliflower or celeriac. They are fab as a topping for cottage or shepherd's pie.

Pasta, there are products containing konjac zero carbs. Or zoodles, spiralized courgettes.

Look up fat head dough for pizza.

Indian food, headbangerskitchen.com.

Snacks, Google anything you fancy just put keto first. Dietdoctor.com gives you plenty of ideas.

It's different, I grant you, but when you see the results on your meter, it is so worthwhile. It soon becomes the new normal.

Reactions: DJC3 and Araldite!

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve been told that taking the meds would allow me to eat a sensible normal diet . However I’m finding that far from the truth. My normal diet would have been cereal for breakfast. Sandwich for lunch. Fruit. And pasta or meat and 3 veg for dinner. Now I can’t eat what I would class as a normal dinner without becoming symptomatic. The thirst I have is unbearable.
I have found a very restricted diet keeps my symptoms at bay but “Is this it?” Eating like this the rest of my life? I feel so overwhelmed and can’t seem to find an answer anywhere.
Hi there. Well, no, certainly in my case I don’t think I will ever be able to eat carbs in any quantity again. My body system for processing them is very broken.

However... that does not mean that I can’t eat wonderful, tasty, satisfying food. Like xfieldok, I follow a keto diet and eat far better than I did previously and really enjoy my meals. It is a mental switch in the first place, just coming to accept that things like bread and milk (my particular kryptonites) are just not possible any more, not if I want to keep my BG and hopefully avoid complications like retinopathy and neuropathy. The thought of perhaps losing my sight is a powerful motivator for me. And once you kick the carb addiction you will hopefully find that you have a much better relationship with food and no longer desire the things you used to love.

It took me a couple of months to accept that bread in any form (normal, keto, home-made, bought - I desperately tried ‘em all) wasn’t worth it, but it was helped by the dawning realisation that I actually felt so much better without it - all my indigestion, reflux and bloating had gone. And then you learn what you can substitute for favourites, in my case diluted cream steamed by my espresso machine makes excellent lattes and hot chocolates which do not stir my BG at all, whereas milk would make it skyrocket.

Using a glucose meter before and after meals will help you determine how different foods affect you and you can adjust accordingly. With that info there is no need to have a restrictive diet - a different, low-carb diet for sure, but still full of deliciousness and in my case, with scope for home-made keto treats now and then!

Reactions: ert and Araldite!

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately one of the things we are sold by the doctors is that the pills will allow a normal diet. It’s true, to a point, they can keep increasing the medications, adding extras that eventually lead to insulin

so, we have to change and that might mean giving up a lot of what we are used to. But there are alternatives and maybe, depending on your situation, some weight loss might make your body more efficient at tolerating carbs. I have lost a lot of weight and am able to have treats like bread or pizza or chips occasionally. But it is only occasionally I’m afraid

but am finding other options, lots of meats, cheeses, Greek yoghurt and strawberries.

yes it’s overwhelming but this site can show you options.

Reactions: Araldite!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi there, when you think about it what is 'normal' anyway? Does it mean what everyone else eats, or what most people eat or what the 'average diet' is? It's very hard I know to have to think about EVERY single thing that you eat especially at the start of a diagnosis and it's easy to NOT to have to think about it when you are (mindlessly) able to eat cereals & toast etc, without thought. I am convinced that before long any new way of eating you choose will become very normal for YOU, it just takes time.

Araldite!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone. I think I just need to get my head around it.
I’ve lost about 20lbs since diagnosis which is good. So hopefully another 20 and see if that makes a difference.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been told that taking the meds would allow me to eat a sensible normal diet .

But what if the sensible "normal" diet is nether sensible nor (looking back at human history) normal?
Cereal, bread, pasta are all fairly recent additions to the human diet.
That they are now considered normal is a shame.
Revert to what humans ate for millennia before farming became commonplace and you'll likely regain your health like many of us have.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m missing the ease of being able to just have my cereal or a bit of toast in the morning . I don’t eat a lot of meat usually so it’s really difficult finding a balance of no pasta/potatoes/rice.
You can tell this is really affecting me. Sorry for griping. Like I said. I feel so overwhelmed.
Thank you for replying.

I understand how you feel. Livlife bread (Waitrose and Ocado) is low carb and 3.8 per slice. They are tiny but filling and make the most amazing toast/sandwiches. Have your usual meaty meal but sub potatoes with cauliflower mash. My whole family eats it now. Roasted celeriac etc etc.

Kalkie

Can you plan and prepare food in advance? Maybe have a meal plan and know you can look forward to what you’re going to be eating. Get the pleasure from that rather than missing the mindless “picking up the cereal box” in the morning.

A bit of meditation might help as well. It will reduce the frustration you feel and will also enable you to pause and take a breath which might help your general well-being.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I spent a fair bit of the first year feeling as you do, on and off and still do occasionally. But increasingly through that time I appreciate the fantastic foods the “normal” diet bans and have become accustomed to a new normal. I haven’t wanted to go back to the old way for quite some time and am actually repulsed by much of it now.

Convenience is the last remaining bug bear. I used to love eating out but find options more limited and I loved variety. I do better at home now, despite having to do it myself it’s still more tasty. Lucky considering Covid limitations and my hesitation about going anywhere in public not necessary.

It’ll get easier. I promise. Take the time to learn new meals/ snacks/treats. It’ll pay off in spades.

Last edited:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Araldite
I went through very similar feelings at first too, but as you find 'normal' food is in fact effectively harming you, it becomes easier to say 'no' to. Your appetite and tastes will change. I hardly substitute items because have enough other things to eat, but its good to know substitutes are there if needed.
Perhaps its more a case of finding what's easy to grab.
Hard boiled eggs are always filling, can be cooked days ahead and kept in the fridge.
Easy breakfast is a tablespoon or 2 of seeds mixed into greek yoghurt or coconut milk the night before and magically thickens overnight to a porridge consistency. Even better with a couple of chopped up strawberries in.
Easy for any time is ready sliced cheese wrapped around a slice of ham or other cooked meat. Can have rocket or something else in too, coleslaw works too. Again can be prepared ahead and just grabbed from the fridge.
It does all get easier with practice.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Google keto granola. The milk will raise the carb content, I cant stand soya or almond milk. I made keto granola bars, they were yummy.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The 'normal' diet we have had is one marketed to us by the food companies and supermarkets. You need to re-think what is normal and good and that means less carbs and more protein, fats, veg and non-tropical fruit.

Reactions: Flora123

Lilylala

Right so here we go....... Just waiting for the first person to jump on what I am about to say this is my experience and I am not saying that this is the way for everyone. I'm t2 been on all kinds of meds , put lots of weight on , fed up at the foods that I use to love not suitable for T2 so what did I do ? Started doing one meal a day .... Simple ? Yes simply my one meal I ate was my favourite foods , takeaways , roast dinner , chocolate cake for pudding ...... Madness you may think ? High blood glucose you think ? Gain weight you think ? More meds you think ? ....... Well actually no ! 3 stone weight loss , last hba1c 46 and now actually completely off insulin and no other meds and blood glucose within normal range ....... So I have reversed my T2 , I'm not on medications and I'm still looking weight , and still eating the foods I love .

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Right so here we go....... Just waiting for the first person to jump on what I am about to say this is my experience and I am not saying that this is the way for everyone. I'm t2 been on all kinds of meds , put lots of weight on , fed up at the foods that I use to love not suitable for T2 so what did I do ? Started doing one meal a day .... Simple ? Yes simply my one meal I ate was my favourite foods , takeaways , roast dinner , chocolate cake for pudding ...... Madness you may think ? High blood glucose you think ? Gain weight you think ? More meds you think ? ....... Well actually no ! 3 stone weight loss , last hba1c 46 and now actually completely off insulin and no other meds and blood glucose within normal range ....... So I have reversed my T2 , I'm not on medications and I'm still looking weight , and still eating the foods I love .
Also known as intermittent fasting. A recognised strategy, although more frequently in these parts mixed with some level of carb lowering but not always, although only eating one meal a day quite possibly lowered all your macros including carbs. Obviously everyone’s starting point and previous eating style also varies . Well done and I hope it lasts. I’d keep an eye on it just in case but this restricted time eating and the weight loss have definitely made a positive change for you.

Fawbs89

Thank you for replying.
Alas carbs are the enemy unfortunately when you're diabetic!

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
You will find a new normal. There's a lot of exciting foods waiting to be discovered.

Last edited: