What should I do?

Dazphoenix28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So tonight, blood glucose levels were stable and just went to inject my basal insulin. Did a quick test of 2 units to make sure the insulin comes out of the needle tip. When to inject and not sure what happened but maybe half way it just went quick like the chamber wasn't alligned firmly behind the insulin vial. This obviously has left me confused in how many units of lantus I've just had or infact any. I don't want to take the risk of Injecting twice because 1 more unit over what I'm taking will result in a early morning hypo.

Should I check my bloods throughout the night and if it climbs and doesn't stop then that indicates it didn't inject the insulin?

Like I said I think half of it when it before the chamber lost grip of the vial. I had to test to see and dialed up to 20u and after 15 units insulin started to come out of the needle so the spring must of lost grip somehow.

I really don't want another hypo and being high than low is better I guess but anyone else experience this? Got any advice in what I can do to see if I had injected some or not?

I guess it's going to be hard to tell with basal but if I wake up with high glucose then I know I failed the injection.

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As you think you got less than the required amount, no problem. You will just wake up tomorrow higher than usual and a correction bolus will fix it. Getting more than the required dose can be a bigger problem.

Reactions: Dazphoenix28

Dazphoenix28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As you think you got less than the required amount, no problem. You will just wake up tomorrow higher than usual and a correction bolus will fix it. Getting more than the required dose can be a bigger problem.
Thank you Mark. You're probably sick of seeing me here ahaha. You've been very helpful. Going to take your advice and correct any high at breakfast if I did miss out.

Reactions: MarkMunday

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Thank you Mark. You're probably sick of seeing me here ahaha. You've been very helpful. Going to take your advice and correct any high at breakfast if I did miss out.

You'll probably be playing mild catch up all day, but as @MarkMunday said, it's better than injecting too much....

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So tonight, blood glucose levels were stable and just went to inject my basal insulin. Did a quick test of 2 units to make sure the insulin comes out of the needle tip. When to inject and not sure what happened but maybe half way it just went quick like the chamber wasn't alligned firmly behind the insulin vial. This obviously has left me confused in how many units of lantus I've just had or infact any. I don't want to take the risk of Injecting twice because 1 more unit over what I'm taking will result in a early morning hypo.

Should I check my bloods throughout the night and if it climbs and doesn't stop then that indicates it didn't inject the insulin?

Like I said I think half of it when it before the chamber lost grip of the vial. I had to test to see and dialed up to 20u and after 15 units insulin started to come out of the needle so the spring must of lost grip somehow.

I really don't want another hypo and being high than low is better I guess but anyone else experience this? Got any advice in what I can do to see if I had injected some or not?

I guess it's going to be hard to tell with basal but if I wake up with high glucose then I know I failed the injection.

Hi,

You will find out later.. You may need correction doses through the following day, which may not keep you "in the zone.?" (If you had not taken the right dose, if at all..? I've totally forgotten basal before now. Then woken to remeber I had? Or hadn't..

Do you have a spare AllStar pro pen?

Dazphoenix28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

You will find out later.. You may need correction doses through the following day, which may not keep you "in the zone.?" (If you had not taken the right dose, if at all..? I've totally forgotten basal before now. Then woken to remeber I had? Or hadn't..

Do you have a spare AllStar pro pen?
I've just ordered one. I was using a humapen since my other lantus pens broke and didn't have one due to moving. Got a all-star pro request in but heard that even though the humapen savvio isn't made for a 3ml lantus cartridge it still does the job. Just need to fiddle with it abit more to get it working and read online that instead of 100% accuracy with the all start pro, the humapen savvio is about 102% which isn't a massive game changer. So changing that to the all-star pro for better accuracy.

Also here is the readings for last night and this morning. Bloods went to 11 but didn't have a correction dosage this time for rapid insulin and let the lantus do it's thing. Think the pen actually did end up injecting the right amount.

As stated above, is it normal for the lantus to fall steady over hours and then flat line for the rest of the night until you wake up? If so then I know I've done the correct dosage and happy with the results =).
Screenshot_20201102-131822_LibreLink.jpg
Screenshot_20201102-131147_LibreLink.jpg

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just ordered one. I was using a humapen since my other lantus pens broke and didn't have one due to moving. Got a all-star pro request in but heard that even though the humapen savvio isn't made for a 3ml lantus cartridge it still does the job. Just need to fiddle with it abit more to get it working and read online that instead of 100% accuracy with the all start pro, the humapen savvio is about 102% which isn't a massive game changer. So changing that to the all-star pro for better accuracy.

Also here is the readings for last night and this morning. Bloods went to 11 but didn't have a correction dosage this time for rapid insulin and let the lantus do it's thing. Think the pen actually did end up injecting the right amount.

As stated above, is it normal for the lantus to fall steady over hours and then flat line for the rest of the night until you wake up? If so then I know I've done the correct dosage and happy with the results =).View attachment 45081View attachment 45082

Hi,

I use lantus. The "AllStar pro" is for the lantus cartridges. From memory, the pen was change from "ClikStar.?" Which went out of product in a few years back?
The right pen for the job, should see you right.. (Rightish..?)

Lol, I always find the Glargine/Lantus pen designs over the years, a little more "feminine" than the Novopens..

Reactions: Dazphoenix28

Dazphoenix28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I use lantus. The "AllStar pro" is for the lantus cartridges. From memory, the pen was change from "ClikStar.?" Which went out of product in a few years back?
The right pen for the job, should see you right.. (Rightish..?)

Lol, I always find the Glargine/Lantus pen designs over the years, a little more "feminine" than the Novopens..
Ordered one and should get it Wednesday. Was using a humapen savvio and had to fiddle getting it in. Apparently has a 102% accuracy so a tad more insulin than the all-star but not alot to make a difference but still The wrong pen. Ordered the right one anyway and use to have the all star pro but lost it awhile back.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Ordered one and should get it Wednesday. Was using a humapen savvio and had to fiddle getting it in. Apparently has a 102% accuracy so a tad more insulin than the all-star but not alot to make a difference but still The wrong pen. Ordered the right one anyway and use to have the all star pro but lost it awhile back.

I keep a few single use syringes in stock for use if either my basal or bolus pens fail, you can use them to draw up insulin from the 3ml cartridges.

bmtest

Forget errors of this nature we do that many injections it happens sometimes.

Just be aware you may be running high in the period that Lantus belongs to.

Depending on how confident you are either account for it with fast acting during day or pump a small amount of Lantus in when you wake for good luck.

In simmary you are only able to make assumptions but testing will give you and idea.