Does a GAD blood test result of >2000 point to type 1 rather than LADA

Grumpy Porridge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just want to learn about the results :)

What was your GAD level result prior / during diagnoses ?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It points to autoimmune diabetes.
LADA is T1.

Grumpy Porridge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There have been studies which suggest certain lifestyle choices could possibly contribute to LADA. I just want to know more that’s all .

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There have been studies which suggest certain lifestyle choices could possibly contribute to LADA. I just want to know more that’s all .

Hi Grumpy, I know you've asked this before. It's not the sort of question that gets a definitive answer I'm afraid. LADA IS type 1 and is an autoimmune condition. As to what caused a body to suddenly attack its immune system is anyone's guess, some say a virus for example BUT in answer to your question the consensus is no, and once you've got it, that's immaterial anyway. I view it as a flaw in your body's system no matter the type and the best thing you can do following that is to manage it as best you can. x

Reactions: ert

Mustaffa

Hi, I am newly diagnosed LADA, I found the following table very helpful.

4YWTK4O.png

I do not have have GAD antibodies so I probably have other autoantibodies.

I am still trying to get my C-Peptides tested as this will give some idea how much insulin I am still producing. The bloods to be tested have to froze quickly after taking so not as easy to perform as other blood tests.

As KK123 said above Tye 1 is an autoimmune disease, what triggers this is still unknown at the moment.

The difference between Type 1 and LADA is the age at which this autoimmune disease presents and the rate of progress.

The cause is the same, the body is producing antibodies that are killing off you own insulin producing cells.

With the usual Type 1 it is in children and teenagers and the process can be over in weeks. You could be OK producing insulin at the start of the month, no insulin production by the end of the month.

With LADA it occurs later in life and the progress is slower, usually months even years until you are totally dependent on insulin injections.

I am a Biomedical Scientist and I was diagnosed on 31 July a month before my 60th birthday (HbA1C of 124 and blood glucose of 27). I had never heard of LADA so I have been doing a lot of research through various scientific reviews which is easy for me but must be pretty scary for most people to get a handle on what is going on.

Reactions: KK123

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The difference between Type 1 and LADA is the age at which this autoimmune disease presents and the rate of progress.
I think the age thing can mostly be dismissed though now, there are plenty of examples of just these forums where people are not in the specified age brackets stated above (note: I cant point you to threads as proof but I know I've seen them)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I am newly diagnosed LADA, I found the following table very helpful.

4YWTK4O.png

I do not have have GAD antibodies so I probably have other autoantibodies.

I am still trying to get my C-Peptides tested as this will give some idea how much insulin I am still producing. The bloods to be tested have to froze quickly after taking so not as easy to perform as other blood tests.

As KK123 said above Tye 1 is an autoimmune disease, what triggers this is still unknown at the moment.

The cause is the same, the body is producing antibodies that are killing off you own insulin producing cells.

With the usual Type 1 it is in children and teenagers and the process can be over in weeks. You could be OK producing insulin at the start of the month, no insulin production by the end of the month.

With LADA it occurs later in life and the progress is slower, usually months even years until you are totally dependent on insulin injections.

I am a Biomedical Scientist and I was diagnosed on 31 July a month before my 60th birthday (HbA1C of 124 and blood glucose of 27). I had never heard of LADA so I have been doing a lot of research through various scientific reviews which is easy for me but must be pretty scary for most people to get a handle on what is going on.
Hi. In addition to antibodies, viruses can cause LADA i.e. beta cell damage something which many medics aren't aware of

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I think the age thing can mostly be dismissed though now, there are plenty of examples of just these forums where people are not in the specified age brackets stated above (note: I cant point you to threads as proof but I know I've seen them)
I wouldn't say dismissed I general they are correct.. but there is always going to be cases that are different

For example I know of kids that are t2 and that's probably brought on by weight and poor diet in their case..

I do think some are getting to tied up in the am I t1 or lada as it is irrelevant both ultimately are the same you no longer produce insulin.. the only difference is you've had 35 years of eating what you want when you want

Reactions: Mustaffa