Covid and Work, Covid Advice and General Chat

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I get notified as in the little flag top right has a number beside it to tell me how many watched posts have become active but it might be because I'm old fashioned and use a desktop pc.
I have never been online with a phone or tablet so they might be different.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The thread is watched. I have emails off but alerts on. I’ve had no notifications since this thread was moved. As is always true in this posting area.

It can be the case that if you don’t ‘follow up’ on an alert by visiting the watched thread, then you don’t get subsequent alerts. During the working day that often happens to me - I pop in, see alerts, but only check on one or two and then wonder why I’ve missed stuff. A good back-up is to check the ‘watched threads’ link on your screen from time to time. Screenshot attached (this is from the desktop version of the site on an IPad).

CB60E9FF-9153-4853-8D4E-693C663B3A35.jpeg

Reactions: Brunneria

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get notified as in the little flag top right has a number beside it to tell me how many watched posts have become active but it might be because I'm old fashioned and use a desktop pc.
I have never been online with a phone or tablet so they might be different.
I get them. But this thread doesn’t appear. Nothing in this section of the forum does.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It can be the case that if you don’t ‘follow up’ on an alert by visiting the watched thread, then you don’t get subsequent alerts. During the working day that often happens to me - I pop in, see alerts, but only check on one or two and then wonder why I’ve missed stuff. A good back-up is to check the ‘watched threads’ link on your screen from time to time. Screenshot attached (this is from the desktop version of the site on an IPad).

View attachment 46558
Nope. Every single time I come to the forum (daily and sometimes more) first thing I do is click each and every flagged post. Then I go to recent posts. This thread and anything in this section of the forum is not usually present in either. Hence my calling it the graveyard of threads. (Also using iPad and desktop version)

Edit. ironically I find myself admitting this particular post was flagged. None in the last week were. So it’s inconsistent at best.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nope. Every single time I come to the forum (daily and sometimes more) first thing I do is click each and every flagged post. Then I go to recent posts. This thread and anything in this section of the forum is not usually present in either. Hence my calling it the graveyard of threads. (Also using iPad and desktop version)

Edit. ironically I find myself admitting this particular post was flagged. None in the last week were. So it’s inconsistent at best.

OK. This’ll be my final word on the topic as it’s becoming a derailment. I have this thread on watch and DO get alerts (see screenshot), so there’s an error somewhere. In which case using the ‘[email protected]’ email to report an error would be the way to go. That’s also the place for suggestions about the forum.

And as I mentioned above, there is the ‘watched threads’ button so that you can double check you haven’t missed anything.

A4280913-4758-4A3C-982C-A852A662F7A0.jpeg

Max68

Reactions: Robinredbreast
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I am back to work on Tuesday the 5th January, The children I travel with will be staggered until 2nd February, maybe one off one day, then two off and surprisingly some days when they are all in. I do not understand how this will really help with Covid 19, the contact is still there, so I am flummoxed by the whole school system at the moment ( I know some teachers maybe off with an illness, but that's not at this moment in time. I would shut the schools, but I know it can be difficult for the parents and the children miss their friends and learning at home can be hit and miss. But sometimes drastic measures need to be taken to ( hopefully) steer things away onto a better path.

Reactions: conniecar
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Really intrigued as to how the government are expecting mass testing to be done and to be effective,. Daily, weekly, monthly? After all you could test negative on a Monday morning, pop to a shop on the way home and become positive...

Very true. When I was informed I had been in contact with someone on the Thursday night and had to self isolate, I had been on the school run every day and went to Morrison's, masked, on the Tuesday morning.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't understand the logic. Children come to school from different houses. They may have siblings in different schools. Their parents/carers go out of the house for work, shopping, medical needs etc.

How can a test be valid for more than a few minutes? Even returning to home on the bus can involve contact. Going to school invokes contact, too early to show up on a test later in the same day.

It's Alice in Wonderland thinking in my opinion. Who will be able to teach all day with windows open in winter?

The government must be aware of the flaws in logic, so these decisions of theirs are deliberate.

A lot is said about the US death rate from covid-19, but proportionally to population ours is daily far worse.

Reactions: JTL

Max68

I don't understand the logic. Children come to school from different houses. They may have siblings in different schools. Their parents/carers go out of the house for work, shopping, medical needs etc.

How can a test be valid for more than a few minutes? Even returning to home on the bus can involve contact. Going to school invokes contact, too early to show up on a test later in the same day.

It's Alice in Wonderland thinking in my opinion. Who will be able to teach all day with windows open in winter?

The government must be aware of the flaws in logic, so these decisions of theirs are deliberate.

A lot is said about the US death rate from covid-19, but proportionally to population ours is daily far worse.

In many ways the government does little to prove the conspiracies wrong. They suddenly mention this new more contagious variant and close down businesses but say once again schools are alright as long as the schools are on the ball with testing, once again placing the ridiculous burden on head teachers. We know it won't work as you quite rightly say but once again the safety of staff and any kids who may be susceptible are ignored. Plus no new regulations for this new variant. Is two metres still safe? Not that it ever was. Do masks still help or do we now need to wear two? How long does this variant hang in the air? So many unanswered questions.

There was a chap in the local shop today. First glance I thought he was the chimney sweep out of Mary Poppins with his shouting and hollering. No mask worn and neither did his daughter who buzzed around the shop on her scooter. Four times he left the counter after forgetting something and bounded past people down aisles mask less hollering and guffawing. Maybe he has a condition that exempts him from wearing a mask, who knows, but I really do not see why a visor could not be worn at the very least. Spoke to a mate of mind about this who suffers severe asthma and he always wears a mask as he says a few minutes with difficult breathing is to him better than the possible alternative and it's all about safeguarding others.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I really fear for anyone in schools next term. It’s always a late in the day catch up with this lot: I see that secondary school pupils now have to wear masks in class. If only that had been put in place in February 2020!
Happy New Year everyone.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really fear for anyone in schools next term. It’s always a late in the day catch up with this lot: I see that secondary school pupils now have to wear masks in class. If only that had been put in place in February 2020!
Happy New Year everyone.
Where have you seen masks now required in secondary classes please? The last government advice I saw 30th, still said it was unnecessary

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The testing is with lateral flow that only pick up 50% of positives (based on the Liverpool useage and the government own figures) It’s only for Pupils if they are close contacts after the initial return and replaces isolation of those contacts. Innova themselves and WHO states they should not be used for asymptomatic people due to greater inaccuracies and should not replace isolation measures. The government also ruled them out of mass testing (not schools) due to inaccuracies.

It’s going to make things worse not better.

Now if they used them in addition to all existing measures especially isolations (and introduce masks in classrooms) it would be an improvement. It’s not about keeping kids safe. It’s about reducing absences caused by isolation.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Where have you seen masks now required in secondary classes please? The last government advice I saw 30th, still said it was unnecessary
It’s here, just hope the beeb have got it right!
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/amp/54821914
Admittedly it’s in Scotland so I’m really hoping the Scottish example will be followed here.
I think heads still have discretion to apply mask wearing conditions in schools in England. Don’t they?

Last edited:
Reactions: HSSS
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tbh, I am not looking forward to going back to work on Tuesday.

5th; 3 children
6th All four children
7th; All four children
8th' 2 children
The week after, 3 days I have all 4 children, 2 days I have 3 children .............

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Admittedly it’s in Scotland so I’m really hoping the Scottish example will be followed here.
I think heads still have discretion to apply mask wearing conditions in schools in England. Don’t they?
Scotland seems a little quicker to action than England throughout the pandemic. Though I’ve now seen it being discussed in England following the publication of sage minutes yesterday that said this should happen along with longer delays to school reopening.
Yes heads have discretion but few use it and most stick to the guidance that has said in each update “advised against” or , “unnecessary” etc. It gets a little weaker each update but it’s still in there at the moment.

btw that link was from November and relates to masks in corridors not classrooms

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am back to work on Tuesday the 5th January, The children I travel with will be staggered until 2nd February, maybe one off one day, then two off and surprisingly some days when they are all in. I do not understand how this will really help with Covid 19, the contact is still there, so I am flummoxed by the whole school system at the moment ( I know some teachers maybe off with an illness, but that's not at this moment in time. I would shut the schools, but I know it can be difficult for the parents and the children miss their friends and learning at home can be hit and miss. But sometimes drastic measures need to be taken to ( hopefully) steer things away onto a better path.

I’m back Tuesday too. I’m not testing kids, I’ll have to tell HR (as it’s secondary and they have no regard for social distancing or isolating where I am). I’m type 1 and epileptic as well as coeliac and have thyroid disease, so do feel vulnerable. But.... I don’t want to appear to be ‘wimping out’ when everyone is working really hard. But I’m anxious about it. I can’t be off until I get the vaccine. Just wish the school would shut so we’d all be on an equal footing. Stay safe x

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone like to start a book on Williamson’s next u-turn being to shut all schools?
And another on Boris’ next u-turn being to return to the vaccination timings set out in the approval regs?