Clotted cream.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been holidaying in Devon for the last week and lived off the stuff! I even had 3 tubs of icecream made with clotted cream with an extra dollop as a topping. A lady made a comment about it being bad for health. I told her the cone hers was in was far worse.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here you go.
Although I find the picture rather odd. It shows lemon curd (which can also be made low carb)
Why would anyone NOT use clotted cream?
CU-1-1024x686.jpg

http://www.lowcarbsisters.com/almond-flour-scones-low-carb-gluten-free/

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel the same as you regarding sweetners. Plus I am sure if I start to normalise eating low sugar versions of all the sweet stuff that got me into this mess I will open the floodgates and tempt my taste buds into eating junk again. Slippery slope for me!
emoji53.png
I originally felt the same way when I began low carbing, but having discovered that I could safely use alternative natural sweeteners (erythritol and stevia) I believe that being able to use these has instead helped keep me from wanting any real sugar again. The few rare times when I have actually ever really craved/coveted/needed to eat this have been when my body has believed (sometimes wrongly) that my glucose levels have gone down too low, so potential hypo. But oddly(??) none of these occasions have ever triggered any continued cravings... and I don't even like its taste any more :wideyed::wideyed:

Robbity

Reactions: Brunneria

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I originally felt the same way when I began low carbing, but having discovered that I could safely use alternative natural sweeteners (erythritol and stevia) I believe that being able to use these has instead helped keep me from wanting any real sugar again. The few rare times when I have actually ever really craved/coveted/needed to eat this have been when my body has believed (sometimes wrongly) that my glucose levels have gone down too low, so potential hypo. But oddly(??) none of these occasions have ever triggered any continued cravings... and I don't even like its taste any more :wideyed::wideyed:

Robbity

I don't do any baking but do use sweeteners in my tea, and prefer tablets rather than granules. I can only find Truvia tablets that contain erythritol as a main ingredient. Do you use tablets?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I leave out almost all the sweeteners, they make things far too sweet tasting and I find them sickly and really unappetising.

Reactions: Ultramum

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ooo, low carb scones and lemon meringue look lovely, unfortunately all my efforts with low carb puds with the exception of jelly and chia pudding have ended in too many disasters to count, one day who knows maybe I will try again.......

As for clotted cream mmmmmmmmmmmmmm X

Reactions: Guzzler

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't do any baking but do use sweeteners in my tea, and prefer tablets rather than granules. I can only find Truvia tablets that contain erythritol as a main ingredient. Do you use tablets?
I do quite a lot of baking so most of my stuff is powdered or granulated erythritol/stevia combinations. Except for my drinks (mainly coffee and cocoa, but a few herb teas that need a bit of something adding) and I use liquid stevia for sweetening those; it's expensive but last me for around 6 months or so. I recently found little stevia tablets but just couldn't get on with them - to me they tasted vile, but the liquid I've liked and used for most of my diabetic life....

Robbity

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do quite a lot of baking so most of my stuff is powdered or granulated erythritol/stevia combinations. Except for my drinks (mainly coffee and cocoa, but a few herb teas that need a bit of something adding) and I use liquid stevia for sweetening those; it's expensive but last me for around 6 months or so. I recently found little stevia tablets but just couldn't get on with them - to me they tasted vile, but the liquid I've liked and used for most of my diabetic life....

Robbity

Thanks very much. I've ordered a bottle. I know who to blame if it is awful. ;) I have used Sweetex
(saccharine) since the 1980's and I'm still alive and kicking. Just thought going natural may be a better option!

Sorry for derailing this delicious clotted cream thread.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lets get back on track then - my treat this weekend will be strawberries with a little pot of clotted cream... but I won't eat them all at once, and thinking of @Tipetoo's little cat, won't share except a taste of the cream for my 2 LCHF besotted little dogs.:p And this pair certainly know a good thing when they see it - or more usually smell it - coming!

Robbity

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks very much. I've ordered a bottle. I know who to blame if it is awful. ;) I have used Sweetex
(saccharine) since the 1980's and I'm still alive and kicking. Just thought going natural may be a better option!

Sorry for derailing this delicious clotted cream thread.
Just be a bit cautious to start with as stevia is such very sweet stuff - so depending on how you like your drinks instead of the recommended five drops just try one or two to start with - that's generally all I need in a smallish mug - but in my big mug of cocoa I do use around 4-5 drops as I definitely prefer a bit more sweetness in that.

Robbity

sweetbloodsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cilantro, liver, rudeness, cruelty, impatience, prejudice, hatred. kale
I treated myself today to a tub of clotted cream, just the normal one from a chain supermarket. I had two heaped desert spoonfuls with three strawberrys. At less than three grams of carbs per one hundred grams it seems fine to me to have it as a treat occasionally. I would normally have my berries with Greek yoghurt or double cream.
Is there any reason not to have clotted cream every now and again?
No reason at all, I guess unless you have to watch your cholesterol. Adore clotted cream!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
While I see some of you opting to use the new generation sweeteners please, please read the labels as some of the proprietary brands mix the more expensive Stevis with sucralose and maltodextrose etc and in those cases you may as well use table sugar and have done with it.

I miss cocoa, Horlicks and hot sweet milk at bedtime. Oh, shoot!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

DonnaMary

I treated myself today to a tub of clotted cream, just the normal one from a chain supermarket. I had two heaped desert spoonfuls with three strawberrys. At less than three grams of carbs per one hundred grams it seems fine to me to have it as a treat occasionally. I would normally have my berries with Greek yoghurt or double cream.
Is there any reason not to have clotted cream every now and again?
I live in Cornwall, my doctor said I can have clotted cream but not to have double cream as it has sugar in.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I live in Cornwall, my doctor said I can have clotted cream but not to have double cream as it has sugar in.
Hi @DonnaMary ,

You're responding to a thread that's 3 years old, but good news: Double cream, unsweetened, is perfectly fine, with just 1,6 grams of carbs in per 100 ml. (You could toss in some erythritol if you like it sweeter.)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Only problem with that is that your doctor is an idiot.
Clotted cream has slightly more carbs than double cream.
2.5g per 100g as opposed to 1.6g per 100 ml for double cream.
As the carbs come from lactose then clotted cream has slightly more sugar but in insignificant amounts.
Just enjoy both!

You sure they weren't referring to the abomination that is "Elmlea"

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Donna - I wonder if your Doctor was thinking of squirty cream? Most of those have sugar added, although the Anchor Extra Thick variant doesn't have sugar added, unless I am mistaken.

Enjoy your clotted cream. It's delightful.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @DonnaMary
There is a quick and easy way to check the carbohydrate content of any food - just check it online.
I usually go to a supermarket website.
This is the link to Tescos double cream (scroll down the page to the nutritional info)
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/262479533

There is no sugar added to double cream, and there are only 1.6g carbs/100ml which makes it very low sugar/low carb
(You will notice from the list that carbs include sugars, and as you will quickly learn, carbs raise blood glucose, so remember to look for the overall carb content, not the overall sugar content, because if you focus on sugar, you won’t get the full story...)

for comparison, here is a link to clotted cream
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/254267957

hope that helps.