"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 and @annabell1 re your coffee conversation:
I do the same in someone’s house. It’s embarrassing to ask what sort of coffee they have though isn’t it? I usually ask for tea. I can drink cheap tea quite easily but not instant coffee.
Opposite way round for me - no surprise there. So, do we conclude that one's hot beverage of choice matters inordinately to all 3 of us or we are all so well mannered we wouldn't dream of appearing overly fussy? I'm sure people are only too aware that me saying I am not hungry or thirsty if ever I visit is due to concern over carb content and taste preferences. Some brands or types of tea and almond milk really stretch my ability to gratefully accept hospitality. Not snobbishness, IMHO, in some cases these are "premium" brands bought with love and it is quite painful to feel so unhappy after all that consideration. Stay at home is perfect for me in that respect.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Virtual hugs to @maglil55 & @Annb yous seem to have had a very prolonged very rotten time of it - do take care.

Virtual hugs to @shelley262 as well - I agree with you and think stress & anxiety has a lot to do with my diabetes too - you need to take more care of yourself and look after you more as my hubby tells me but it is easier said than done when you have people depending on you and you/I can't change the way we are and do put others before ourselves a lot (same with you @maglil55) - next life we will worry about ourselves first and foremost and may be not so stressed/overwhelmed with things. Well probably not as we can't change how we are.

@DJC3 Congratulations and good luck in the new job!

@zauberflote Good to hear from you - keep safe

@ianpspurs You are so lucky to have such a magic food fairy

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do the same in someone’s house. It’s embarrassing to ask what sort of coffee they have though isn’t it? I usually ask for tea. I can drink cheap tea quite easily but not instant coffee.
Opposite way round for me - no surprise there. So, do we conclude that one's hot beverage of choice matters inordinately to all 3 of us or we are all so well mannered we wouldn't dream of appearing overly fussy? I'm sure people are only too aware that me saying I am not hungry or thirsty if ever I visit is due to concern over carb content and taste preferences. Some brands or types of tea and almond milk really stretch my ability to gratefully accept hospitality. Not snobbishness, IMHO, in some cases these are "premium" brands bought with love and it is quite painful to feel so unhappy after all that consideration. Stay at home is perfect for me in that respect.
I am the same I am very fussy about what I eat and drink and how it is cooked etc. Poor hubby gave up a long time ago with me as everything has to be just right food/drink wise, whereas he is not fussy at all and would eat or drink anything at all made for him

Reactions: DJC3

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Good afternoon everyone. :)

Kevin says I'm picky about what I eat and (especially) drink. I don't think I am picky once you get over the no meat and nothing beige issues... and the restricting to 800 calories and keeping fairly low carb... oh, and not liking sweeteners... AND I have intolerance to mushrooms, milk and chestnuts. I don't like drinks with caffeine in, instant coffee or any tea that doesn't have 'Yorkshire' on the label.

I'm thinking about increasing my calories a bit - I had an all singing all dancing hypo yesterday evening, thank goodness Kevin got home just as it really got going because I was beyond making sensible decisions about treatment for it.

I was completely gobsmacked at the attack on the Capitol!! Especially after the BBC played excerpts of the various speeches by DT and DT Jnr. I do wonder what he will get up to after he's out of the White House.

Reactions: zauberflote

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good afternoon everyone. :)

Kevin says I'm picky about what I eat and (especially) drink. I don't think I am picky once you get over the no meat and nothing beige issues... and the restricting to 800 calories and keeping fairly low carb... oh, and not liking sweeteners... AND I have intolerance to mushrooms, milk and chestnuts. I don't like drinks with caffeine in, instant coffee or any tea that doesn't have 'Yorkshire' on the label.

I'm thinking about increasing my calories a bit - I had an all singing all dancing hypo yesterday evening, thank goodness Kevin got home just as it really got going because I was beyond making sensible decisions about treatment for it.

I was completely gobsmacked at the attack on the Capitol!! Especially after the BBC played excerpts of the various speeches by DT and DT Jnr. I do wonder what he will get up to after he's out of the White House.
Hug for the Hypo which I hope is all sorted never to be repeated . I would have rated that funny for your commendable tolerance of basically all food and drink.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Chickened out and didn't have the liver after all. Thought it would be safer to have steamed salmon instead. I steamed it from frozen in foil with some bits of lemon and quite a lot of salt and had it with a few peas. Not as tasty as the liver would have been, but it filled a gap and no nervous twitches from the stomach area.

Haven't been able to find preserved lemons in the shops here and the ones I preserved went mouldy. So I've had to order them from Amazon. At the same time, I noticed that they were offering some dried slices of lemon, and some orange and some lime, so I ordered those as well. I do like citrus flavours. Not really sure what to do with the dried fruits, but I'll think of something.

Neil didn't go shopping today - his birthday - but spent the whole morning getting mould off of his various pairs of heavy boots and soaking them in polish. Leather seems to have an awful habit of growing mould in this house. He'll go to the shops tomorrow because he has realised that he needs a new back box for some electrical work he still wants to do so I'll get him to get some lemons (used the last with the salmon) and some limes, if he can find them.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Good point. It’s a definite upside to ‘Stay at Home’ no more awkward refusals of food and drink. I find it much easier to refuse food, even lovingly made cakes ‘because of my diabetes’ than I do a dodgy cup of coffee, because of my fussiness.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good point. It’s a definite upside to ‘Stay at Home’ no more awkward refusals of food and drink. I find it much easier to refuse food, even lovingly made cakes ‘because of my diabetes’ than I do a dodgy cup of coffee, because of my fussiness.
I would say most people understand and accept medical reasons nowadays as issues such as severe food intolerance are more widely accepted than "back in the day. " We really must stop this agreeing and tree hugging. It doesn't suit our hinterland.:angelic:

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am fortunate with tea. I drink tea black with just a few grains of sugar on the tip of a teaspoon. Hubby is exactly the same. We used to drink tea with milk and sugar but we went to Poland for our honeymoon (in 1975) and they serve their tea, in a glass, black with a tiny amount of sugar. After 3 weeks of this we discovered tea with milk tasted awful! We've drunk it the Polish way ever since.
Why were we in a communist country for our honeymoon? It's a long story and quite an experience too.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am fortunate with tea. I drink tea black with just a few grains of sugar on the tip of a teaspoon. Hubby is exactly the same. We used to drink tea with milk and sugar but we went to Poland for our honeymoon (in 1975) and they serve their tea, in a glass, black with a tiny amount of sugar. After 3 weeks of this we discovered tea with milk tasted awful! We've drunk it the Polish way ever since.
Why were we in a communist country for our honeymoon? It's a long story and quite an experience too.
Sounds like a fascinating story behind the honeymoon. Black tea or coffee would be a step too far for me with the exception of good quality Japanese Sencha which I can manage. Thinking of this prompted an internal debate about our tea and coffee making equipment and goods? We have at least 5 different means of making coffee ranging from bean to cup to instant. Each of our 3 sons prefers their coffee in different ways , Julie's mum likes hers different again and a friend who "has issues" only drinks instant. We also have 6 different teapots and probably 8 types of tea to suit everyone from me through DILs and grandchildren - oldest has drunk Chamomile tea from the time he could ask for things. I can't decide if that is extravagant, overkill or being caring.

lindisfel

Expert
Good job you didn't go to Tibet! :)

Reactions: maglil55

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

Been AWOL for a few days. Not fully caught up and haven’t even looked at the WHYET thread yet.

@zauberflote great to see you back. What is happening on Capitol Hill is truly shocking. I’m avoiding news as much as possible at the moment but hardly dare look at the Facebook feeds of my US friends, most of whom are in and around DC.

@Chook @DJC3 @MrsA2 I can’t relate to either the wine or the dates - teetotal and the only dates I’ve ever enjoyed came in yogurt in tea houses in Iran. Probably the freshness. However I can very definitely relate to the ‘oops done it again’ club. I’ve been having an internal conversation about ordering ‘just 1, or just 2’ cakes in advance of my upcoming birthday. To date the voice of reason has won out, but let’s see.

Hope to catch up with the foodie stuff later.

Reactions: zauberflote

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mrs T 123 and @shelley262 follow up on bread so as not to clog main thread. Taste was about the same as SLC sliced in a sandwich - their rolls taste different - better IMHO. The rolls are not obviously different to normal to me. I didn't find the toast anywhere near as much to my liking . My favourites of the non real stuff are Skinnybread and Mestermacher Protein bread. This flour has also made a cheese sauce and Yorkshire pudding for 2 over the past week - all caused no significant spike if any rise at all - so reasonable value even now IMHO. Our tastes are all different so to set a marker for you, pre LC I happily ate Burgen Soya and Linseed bread, I really enjoy(ed) Schneiderbrot and best of all like(d) very dense, dark rye type bread. Hope that helps. The bread was made in a bread machine which is how we/The Food Fairy make bread these days. We bought one which can make sourdough. No 1 son "borrowed" our starter probably never to be seen again.
We bought the ready mixed flour as 1 kg of that was less wasteful than many separate ingredients. When we moved we threw several wheelie bins of LC baking ingredients away due to failed experiments over 4/5 years.

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
PXL_20210101_123037647_kindlephoto-72189941.jpg
PXL_20210109_122145997_kindlephoto-72278087.jpg

This is what happened when Kevin watched a tv programme about dog grooming and thought that what a skilled professional does looks easy. Poor Archie.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I don't suppose - Archie enjoyed the experience - he doesn't look like it. But at least he can see where he's going now!

He didn't seem to mind at the time. All three dogs like being groomed, thank goodness. He seems to realise that he's being laughed at though and doesn't like that - which makes me think he's possibly more intelligent than he looks. I tried ringing round for a groomer to even it up a bit but they aren't working ATM.

Reactions: Mrs T 123

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think Archie still looks very handsome! Will the same be said of Kevin when you've watched and tried out a how to cut mens hair video? ;)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I think Archie still looks very handsome! Will the same be said of Kevin when you've watched and tried out a how to cut mens hair video? ;)

No problem with that, I've cut his hair (with clippers) for 25+ years - and for the last 10 years he's trimmed mine (with scissors).

Clippers are easy... but I did used to use scissors to cut my daughter's hair (blunt cut long and straight). Nothing complicated though.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Porridge for breakfast again. For the moment, that seems to be working pretty well. Had some nasty chest pains yesterday pm and this morning - similar to those my mother had when her heart gave out. Gave me to think! But I decided not to be a wimp and get on with the day. It pretty well disappeared with the porridge! So I guess it's my stomach again.

Had a roll with bacon for lunch.

Dinner was a bit all over the place because I had a 21/2 hour Zoom meeting at 6.30 - and my dinner wasn't cooked by then, so I just sneaked a bite now and again once it was done, when no-one was looking. It was roast lamb and roasted vegetables. I had asked Neil to get me a lamb shank but he came back with half a leg of lamb (it was a pretty small lamb), so I decided to roast it rather than make stew/soup with it. Lots of cold meat left over for the next few days.

Reactions: ianpspurs

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
He didn't seem to mind at the time. All three dogs like being groomed, thank goodness. He seems to realise that he's being laughed at though and doesn't like that - which makes me think he's possibly more intelligent than he looks. I tried ringing round for a groomer to even it up a bit but they aren't working ATM.
Reminds me of the time one of my friend's dogs only got half a haircut at the groomers as he growled at them halfway through - so funny seeing her dog posing with only half of his coat done totally oblivious to it - so funny!

Last edited: