Time for Mod Elections?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Last year (April/March), this post stated
"As our longer standing members will know, it is DCUK policy to hold elections annually, around April, to elect and re-elect Moderators, as required, and to allow those retiring to have a bit of a well-earned rest. This year, “normal” is on hold.

The decision taken this week, in DCUK Head Office, is that Moderator elections this year will be deferred for a few months, subject to ongoing review. For now, that review is set for 3 months."

My understanding is that some elected Mods have now been in place for nearly 3 years and others nearly 2 years. That seems a large undertaking and not giving chance for some new blood into the group.

What are the plans for new Mod elections?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"As our longer standing members will know, it is DCUK policy to hold elections annually, around April, to elect and re-elect Moderators, as required, and to allow those retiring to have a bit of a well-earned rest. This year, “normal” is on hold.

The decision taken this week, in DCUK Head Office, is that Moderator elections this year will be deferred for a few months, subject to ongoing review. For now, that review is set for 3 months."

My understanding is that some elected Mods have now been in place for nearly 3 years and others nearly 2 years. That seems a large undertaking and not giving chance for some new blood into the group.

Hello. Could I suggest you send an email to [email protected] with your question? The mods aren’t in a position to answer. Thanks.

Reactions: hankjam and zand

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I woud suggest the current set of Mods fairly Rock.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello. Could I suggest you send an email to [email protected] with your question? The mods aren’t in a position to answer. Thanks.
Thank you for your answer.
I understand the Mods are not in a position to answer my question.
I also understand those that are in a position to answer my question read the forum.

Neither my original post nor this response are intended to question or criticise moderators of the forum.
The objective of my post, in addition to getting an answer was to highlight to all readers of the forum the fact that there has not been a moderator election for 21 months.
Sending an email would fail to raise this point to the forum members.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have still received no response on this matter.
The US were able to hold presidential elections during a pandemic so why is there no news of mod elections for nearly a year?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I have still received no response on this matter.
The US were able to hold presidential elections during a pandemic so why is there no news of mod elections for nearly a year?

Hi @In Response
Just to clarify - do you mean that you have written to [email protected] and nobody has replied?

Thanks.
Urb'

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As mentioned above sending an email would fail to address this to forum members.
I see no reason why a response cannot be made publicly.

As mentioned when suggesting you send an email, the mods aren’t in a position to answer.

Those monitoring the [email protected] inbox are not routinely browsing the forum, hence for many forum related activities (research requests, HCP verifications, suggestions about the forum, etc.), that is the process.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well my vote would be to keep the current mod team, providing they are all still willing to carry on the role.

Last edited:
Reactions: urbanracer

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Influencers on Social Media
Kardashians and lookalike, actalike groupies
Reality TV shows
Well my vote would be to keep the current mod team, providing they are all still willing to carry on the role.

Hear hear. Fabulous moderation and cool cats to boot.

Reactions: zand and hankjam

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
All of the mods are great and interpret the rules as they are. I would like to know that the forum rules are gone through in turn and majority voted on by the mods, otherwise it suggests the rules are perfect and never require a visit.

Reactions: zand and hankjam

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would just like to take this opportunity to thank the mods for the amazing work they do.

I'll put my Han d up and say that in my early days I posted a response that didn't take into account all the information in the op. The response from the mod was sensitive to me and the op and I learned from it hugely. I am so grateful for those who are willing to do the role- as a group we are so fortunate to have this site- I could not be where I am without it.

Thank you to both mods and those others that are so generous with your time and advice- you make such a difference to the world.

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
If you’ve ever done the mod job, you’d just thank the current ones and let them ride. They seem to work very quickly and quietly here. That’s a good thing.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with others: our current mods are doing a great job, and if they're happy to carry on longer I don't see that there's any issue.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do not understand why the usual cadence of elections has extended so far when the USA is able to have a presidential election during the pandemic.
As there is no public response to my question, I have written to the email address provided and will report back on this thread,

I am not raising this as a criticism of our current moderators but, as I mentioned earlier, three years in the role as a volunteer is a huge undertaking and there is no chance for any new blood into the team.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @In Response - It's safe to say that moderation elections will happen at some point, as last year we had to deal with the fall out with COVID and lockdown, as this was such an unusual event it was posted on the forum at the time to ensure all members were aware and for transparency, there is no 'hidden agenda' to this. The moderation team are humans and have all had to deal with the fall out of this virus in our own lives too, some more than others but the team has been brilliant at volunteering their time and keeping members aligned with forum rules, I myself have struggled but have been incredibly fortunate to rely on my fellow mods to keep watch here and as long as forum rules are adhered to we can remain a lighthouse of support to those who need it.

Unsure why you are extending such an interest in this, are you are keen to get elected to the role ?

Reactions: Brunneria

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Thanks for your message.

It's been quite a year last year.

The mods do a great job, as I'm sure you'll agree - particularly given the year we've had collectively!

We'll be running moderator elections this year. We'll post more in due-course.

Thanks!