Type 1 Misdiagnosis?

shazzym

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was diagnosed in 1997 with type 1 diabetes as I had the classic symptoms associated with it. My HBA1C has always been high, around 10 and all the professionals do not understand why my Sugars do not decrease. I weigh 10 stone height 6 foot 5. I am on levemir for meals and fiasp 24 and 20. My GP has questioned if I have diabetes as nothing is improving. I have the sensor now which helps me to monitor better. Sugars are stable between 5 and 9 until I eat during the day and dinner at 6pm always increases my sugars high, I change the insulin site regularly. So frustrated as nothing is working. I eat healthy and don’t eat cakes, biscuits. Any ideas? Thanks for your help!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi shazzym, you state amounts of the insulin so are you on fixed doses of the Fiasp for your meals, do you carb count?
I presume when you say levemir for meals that was just a typo as levemir is the long acting one

Reactions: Jollymon

shazzym

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sorry yes wrong way around! I have done the DAFNE course and carb count. Levemir 20 and 24. Fiasp 2 to 1 morning, 2.5 to 1 at lunchtime, 3 to 1 at dinner.

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
Sorry yes wrong way around! I have done the DAFNE course and carb count. Levemir 20 and 24. Fiasp 2 to 1 morning, 2.5 to 1 at lunchtime, 3 to 1 at dinner.

Maybe your i:c ratio isn’t right. Or, your missing something in your carb counting. Or you basal dosing isn’t enough. Soo, sooo, soooo many variables...

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Welcome to the forums.

My HBA1C has always been high, around 10 and all the professionals do not understand why my Sugars do not decrease.

What are your actual sugar levels like? If they are just high after meals then that suggests you need to change your bolus ratio? As a T1, you can apply a correction dose of bolus if your levels go high. an hba1c of 10 corresponds to an average bg of 13.3, but there are a number of medical conditions that mean an hba1c can read low or high relative to your blood sugar levels... You could ask for a fructosamine test if you think your hba1c is not reflecting your true bg levels.

I'm assuming your height is 5ft 6 not 6 foot 5 as the latter would put you at a dangerously low bmi?