Finally a call from my DN

Justa_swim_coach

Evening all.
After a real **** day yesterday as some of you may have read. I had my long awaited phone call from my diabetic nurse. With pen and paper in hand and a list of questions I wanted to ask her I set about hopefully getting the answers I was after. I say hopefully with an air of sarcasm by the way .
So I was on the phone for around about 7 minutes and when I put the phone down and looked at the bit of paper for my future plan I saw ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! She was as useful as a chocolate fireguard, an ashtray on a motorbike, a knife at a gun fight, are you getting the idea. The extent of the call was check out Joe Wicks diet and Michael Moseley diet. Not oh you should be having X number of carbs each meal like I was after. She did say I could have 1/2 a each day. Maximum of 5 a day. 10 almonds a day or less.
Guess what?
I'm going to do this on my own till I have my next hba1c test in 9 weeks.
You know the best thing? In the past 2 weeks you guys have been more help than the NHS Diabetic system so thank you

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not oh you should be having X number of carbs each meal like I was after

I don't think they would ever be that precise! All you are likely to get is a standard response which usually consists of the eatwell plate (avoid). Your best bet (are you type 2 & any medication??) is to get your information from here, the people in a similar boat who are talking from experience. Btw, a knife at a gun fight could be a bit useful (chuck it & hope for a lucky throw) so that's a bit more useful than she sounded. YOU can have whatever you want but it's nice to know how what you choose affects you so read on......

Reactions: Justa_swim_coach

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
A lot of dsn's still don't accept low carb to be the way to go

As for how many.. Well I think that is a very individual thing..

So I think the fact that you know and understand that carbs are an issue you are a good part of the way there

Look at you daily diet and ask are all these carbs needed... Is 2 slices of bread really required etc..

Cut out a lot of the easy snacks and fizzy drinks..

This will start you in the right direction... And if it doesn't take you to a hba1c that you are happy with then keep looking at the better choices you can make

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To know what you need to know, get a blood glucose tester - check the costs as these are changing now everything is changing - but you will then be able to see how you react - no one can tell you how many carbs to have, as it all depends on how you cope and react over time.

Reactions: oldgreymare

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like mine! Except mine was noticeably overweight and not a good advert for her own advice

All I would say there is that you never know WHY a person may be overweight, like diabetes it is NOT necessarily down to overeating or laziness, she could have a health condition too.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
All I would say there is that you never know WHY a person may be overweight, like diabetes it is NOT necessarily down to overeating or laziness, she could have a health condition too.
lipoedema is a classic example.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I must admit I'm one of the lucky ones. I have a lovely slim DN who recommends keeping the carbs down. She listens and makes constructive suggestions.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well doesn't seem useless to me

The DSN isn't to know the amount of carbs you can tolerate as the individual you are so they can hardly tell you how many carbs to eat, only you can find how many you can tolerate through testing

Justa_swim_coach

To know what you need to know, get a blood glucose tester - check the costs as these are changing now everything is changing - but you will then be able to see how you react - no one can tell you how many carbs to have, as it all depends on how you cope and react over time.
I have one already and test 7 times a day