The first thing you Googled after your diagnosis ???

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's the one thing we all share, the phone call a few days after the blood test . . . you take it all in (but you don't) . . . you act like it's not that big a thing (but it is) . . . . you say "why me".
Then you hit Doctor Google.

Can you remember what was the first thing diabetes related you checked post diagnosis ?
Mine was "Can a diabetic drink wine" . . . that cheered me up no end.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh, can I join in..?

No puters back in my day.. Was give a "Janet & John have diabetes" style book. The girl always got a pat on the head from the doc, the boy was always getting into jolly old scrapes like running out to play ball without eating his supper?

Then when I was about 10? I broke into a student nurse's room who lodged with us whilst she was out clubbing..
I knew where she kept her books... To paraphrase what I read. " no matter how well controlled (yes, "controlled.") it takes 10 years off your life."

It was then it all made sense, (dispite all the other stuff in the "book" that went over my head.
I discovered the doom & gloom my parent was only privy to? (As the HCPs at the time preferred me occupied whilst the hushed tones were being ignored with the "serious adult stuff.."

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I knew I was going to be a full blown T2 diabetic, having been a borderline candidat for a fair while. It also runs in the family so just a matter of time before I slipped over the line. I did have several fasting glucose tests over a period of months at a pathology lab to confirm that I was now T2.

I "Googled" low carb meals and what bgl's to aim for, that's how I found this forum which has helped me along with the advise from my GP and CDE regarding management.

I have fair way to go before I can declare my self in remission though.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have no idea what I Googled first. Got the diagnosis, some pills, and a week long wait before seeing the practice nurse for my supposed T2 if I remember correctly.
Which to me meant I had a week to learn everything I could about diabetes to be prepared. So I turned the internet upside down and shook it to get everything diabetes out, reading for hours on end. By the end of the week I had 5 days and a tub of test strips worth of glucose tests and food diary.
I didn't quit alcohol though, so I must have done a similar search to yours between all the other searches, @Ronancastled :D

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I an't remember exactly what I googled but I also remember one of the first results talking about taking 10 years off your life. I also looked at the Australian diabetes site which was full of bad news- I already knew that I counted calories and where did that get me- I really was worried about injecting insulin and 10 years off my life.

Then I found this site- what a difference in attitude- it's saved my life and I keep hanging around with the cool kids here. Can you tell I love this site. Whatever google search that got me here I am so glad!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found the Diabetes UK site and watched the videos of people who were 'managing' their diabetes BUt they were all overweight and old (er) than me. I didn't relate to any of them and thought they were all resigned and had given up. No fight or positivity in any of them

Then I found this site and the rest is history

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I think it was the Haynes manual ! But it only told me how to change the brakes on my mini or was it the instruction booklet to my new calculator which cost me a fortune as was the size of a house ,

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I ended up on Amazon website and bought a load of books on Type 2 Diabetes - I was square eyed reading them all whenever I could - they were recipe books to reversing Type 2, a Type 1 friend also advised me to get the Carbs & Cals book which I did and it was only last year during lockdown that I discovered this site ...

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As @MrsA2 ,
From a T2D perspective

After the, "you'll die" sites, I found DUK. Which didn't seem to offer much more hope.

I had already understood T2D had issues with carbs, yet DUK just seemed to run with eatwell.

Quickly searched some more, found DCUK
LCHF testimonies swayed me, real life saver
rest is history , as they say .

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sadly I did not google or read anything about the disease when I was diagnosed back in 2010. Doctor gave a reference point to never opt for foods higher than 5% in fat, to avoid processed food, exercise and that is what I did... had I googled and landed with the book "The Diabetes Code" by Dr. Jason Fung earlier I could have perhaps saved myself from 10 years of uncontrolled BG readings.

So to answer the specific question around diabetic search I would say my first real search was in Oct'2020 with keywords "how to avoid insulin in diabetes" and some variations of it.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Reactive Hypoglycaemia on Wikipedia.
Then because my endo and his dietician told me about low carb and the best information on that was this site. That was eight years ago plus.
And I am ever so glad I did!

Stay safe.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sadly I did not google or read anything about the disease when I was diagnosed back in 2010. Doctor gave a reference point to never opt for foods higher than 5% in fat, to avoid processed food, exercise and that is what I did... had I googled and landed with the book "The Diabetes Code" by Dr. Jason Fung earlier I could have perhaps saved myself from 10 years of uncontrolled BG readings.

So to answer the specific question around diabetic search I would say my first real search was in Oct'2020 with keywords "how to avoid insulin in diabetes" and some variations of it.

went WIN for finding the forum AND the Book.

But deffo a hug too, for the desperate service many of us seem to get on DX.

It really just isn't good enough.:banghead:

mine was on the back of a visit to discuss possible heart scare
bloods, holster etc done.
first 5 mins, was discussing that.
next few was pats on the back for clear bill of heart health

last minute of two,
"Oh btw your t2D..here is a leaflet, look it over
make an appointment for next week to discuss it further.NEXT ",

type thing...:woot:

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Low carb

My mother had T2 but carried on eating chocolate and cake, so in spite of us trying to feed her healthy alternatives and the GP upping her metformin until the side effects were awful she lost most of the feeling in her legs and a lot of her eyesight. Not sure how much of the deafness and other problems were due to high blood sugars but by the end she could barely walk, couldn't see or hear the TV enough, or read.

I'd not managed to eat a healthy diet consistently before diagnosis but that day I changed

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
"Leaving hospital against medical advice". Which right there pretty much says everything about me.

The next, "injection phobia". A newly diagnosed type one who couldn't stick a needle in herself. For a while there I had to meet a nurse before I had a meal because I couldn't inject. Nothing came up on Google except 'get over it or die'. Harsh, but what I needed to hear.

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's the one thing we all share, the phone call a few days after the blood test . . . you take it all in (but you don't) . . . you act like it's not that big a thing (but it is) . . . . you say "why me".
Then you hit Doctor Google.

Can you remember what was the first thing diabetes related you checked post diagnosis ?
Mine was "Can a diabetic drink wine" . . . that cheered me up no end.
Hello, mine was " I have to get kicks some where else beside food"

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For me it was 'How insulin works, what it does and how to use it'. Obviously I knew insulin lowered glucose levels but that was about it. Sent off from the hospital with life saving and equally dangerous 'medicine' without a clue how it really worked or why they were giving me two lots (shown one practice run on how to inject on an orange!), practically told 'use it or die in a week'. I soon learned that it really isn't a question of inject x amount, eat x amount and it'll all be hunky dory.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
For me I googled the drugs used to treat type 2, weighed up the pros and cons - looked up lchf and that was me done. Made the decision to be guided by myself and not the dn or gp, has worked so far - for me :D

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I also found this site and it just confirmed what I was doing was right :)