Don't know what the Diabetes nurse will say now?!

Jonnyjmc

Hi all. First day of joining the site, mostly at the insistence of my dad to share my last 6 months. I'll caveat at the start that what I write below is of course a subjective experience but I know also that a lot of us, me included, struggle daily with our diet, health, trying to get back to where we once we're, or perhaps get to a place we have never reached.
So late September last year I was diagnosed type 2 after a hba1c of 116. Pretty high I learned and my dad (deliberately he said) set about scarring the life out of me to fix it. I'm 41, married with a (now) 8yr old, and being told I might not make another ten years was frightening. So he set me on the keto road, testing my blood each day, but also not going straight on to a medicine solution; try fix it the natural way first.
I'll say from the outset keto is hard but the keto app was essential to monitor what I was eating. Then there's the food itself; pre diagnosis I didn't eat that great but it wasn't exactly kebabs every night, but only post diagnosis did I realise how much carbs are in our foods. It was an eye opener. Anyway, the next 3 months were hard, really hard, but the weight came off and my bloods started to improve. Then it was Christmas.....well we'll skip that bit but suffice to say "a week off" saw the weight shoot back (not all of it) and a new year of struggling to get back into keto. I have done so but fall of the horse bit more regularly than I did pre Christmas.
In between all of this I've engaged with the diabetes team but the last few conversations I've felt rather disgruntled at the nurse's response to "I'm trying keto not medicine" and "I test my blood myself", and whether intentionally or just poor bedside manner in their part, I felt **** about being diabetic. The sign off of our last call was "well we'll just have to see what your next hba1c is".

Which brings me to the title of this (long) post. Just got my result and as of this week my hba1c has gone from 116 to 39. I'm not as light as I wanted still but I'm encouraged. And wonder with intrigue what the nurse will say given I've refused medicine and tried a diet which the medical profession seems to hate.

It's hard work and my first thought was "oooh I can celebrate with a pizza" but I know I can't and I have to change that thinking entirely. But I hope, really hope, I've started a new journey that I can continue on and control so I am here in the next 40+ years rather than just the next 10.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ceppo

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
[QUOTE="Jonnyjmc, post: 2388379, member: 541511"Just got my result and as of this week my hba1c has gone from 116 to 39.[/QUOTE]

....and that is ALL you need to silence your Nurse!!! Well done you. x

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done, @Jonnyjmc . Oh and a big well done to your dad.
Hard part done. Now just make sure you keep up the good work, and good luck to you with the nurse review. Let us know what goes on there, please.

Reactions: Jonnyjmc

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
and as of this week my hba1c has gone from 116 to 39. I'm not as light as I wanted still but I'm encouraged. And wonder with intrigue what the nurse will say given I've refused medicine and tried a diet which the medical profession seems to hate.

Amazing news well done you and if the nurse is anything but amazed please give them the sack!

Taking care of our own health is far more important anyway and that's exactly what you are doing.. well with your dad's help too of course.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've started a new journey that I can continue on and control so I am here in the next 40+ years
And we all have to hope that at some time in those 40 years, all DSNs will know and recommend keto. Dont despair of them now, but do hold k to hope that they will change. Be glad to be a forerunner, and well done

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very well done on your achievements! Oh to be a fly on the wall when your nurse sees your results ;)

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Very well done on your achievements! Oh to be a fly on the wall when your nurse sees your results ;)
Well hopefully the nurse will see the evidence and re evaluate their opinion. Or there might be a different nurse who is onboard. As I’ve said in other posts when I spoke to a nurse recently they were someone who was totally onboard and talked about her weight loss and marathons based on lower carbs so there are some out there

in fact all of my doctors asked how I did it and I didn’t get any pushback, on the contrary they were interested. So fingers crossed for @Jonnyjmc

also weight loss doesn’t always come so quick and in many ways that’s not bad either, slow and steady I found more maintainable. I have a graph and it’s a steady rate until recently where it has flattened at my target

Also well done and congratulations!

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done and you really lucked it with your dad.

It is always great to hear these stories. I really feel it is important particularly for those like yourself who are so young on diagnosis. I also think it is good to acknowledge that for some keto is difficult. I am one who does struggle- admittedly not as much now as at the beginning but I still do from time to time. I envy those people who have gone carnivore and enjoy it.

Congratulations!