starting newcastle diet on 2nd jan

SuperRams

Thanks for that beancounter, went for the easy option though, ready made one from asda, on offer at 3 for £2.50, exactly 250g! Sat with the family whilst they had their roast chicken dinner! The slimfast must have made with water, remember no dairy products whatsoever. Thats a fantastic reading Geordie, its clear that exercise is one of the main keys to this diet. My exercise starts tomorrow, how I wish I could try surfing in the North Sea!! Im in landlocked Derbyshire

beancounter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Got the slimfast for £3 - cheers Superrams :)

The asda stirfry sound great - will get some on my way hone from work tomorrow.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
trust me superrams when u dip ur toe in the north sea you wont be so envious lol, i can last about 45 minutes then too cold lol.
I agree I think exercise plays a massive part in this regime, but it needs to be done in conjunction with diet and not on its own. Well at them minute, hopefully after the two months I'll be reasonably well sorted and body is starting to produce insulin in the qunatities i need so i can occasionally have a treat.
Definetly felt the cold this morning watching my son play rugby though, tshirt, hoody and wool coat and was still freezing lol

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've lost 7lbs this week using a mixture of Optislim and Asda's own (Measure Up) shakes.

I've tried Strawberry and Cafe Latte Measure Up - and I wouldn't feed it to a starving dog!!!

Even my least favourite (Honeycombe) Optislim beats the Measure Up shakes!

I've been doing 2 shakes (bfast & lunch) and a home made soup for dinner. Seems to be working well fo me.

Fasting BG is gradually decreasing.

beancounter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Patch - the Asda's own cafe latte is ok if you make it up with twice the amount of hot water.

It is a wee bit like an actual cafe latte - of course, the lack of food could be affecting my brain lol :)

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
had a need food moment tonight but fought it off lol, first day when ive not had a reading above 6!!!, gym in morning, then cycle to work for my first day back since 21st December..... :(

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Weigh day today lol
Just been on scales..........16 stone 2lbs 4 oz, thats a first week loss of.......8 lbs
FBG this morning was 4.7

Alls good lol gives the incentive to keep going and makes you realise the hunger is worth it lol

Most important thing i think though is the fbg which is down from last mondays high of 13.4 to todays 4.7.

Had a day of normal sugars yesterday never rose above 6 even two hours after food.

Only seven weeks to go

C

bluehils

Hi. Well done with the weight loss. Your BG measurements are brilliant!! Mine are not quite as good but going in the right direction. 6.4 this morning - as I said before it may be because I have been type 2 for 10years and my beta cells will require a **** good kicking before they "wake up"- how long since you were diagnosed??
You have also beaten me on the weight loss - I have lost 6lbs this week but very happy with this.
Keep the faith - the second week is meant to be harder according to some - just keep doing the same!!
Good luck and keep up the good work

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Cheers Bluehills, ive been diagnosed about seven years i think lol cant remember if im honest lol.
Its interesting that im going to gym, doing a hard work out then coming in and checking my bg and am not get any spikes?? When i was on metformin and went to gym my bg would go up and i put this down to my body releasing glucose for energy, but im not getting those spikes now so i presume its cos my body is using my fat lol and ive plenty of that lol. Strange, im not medically inclined so could be completely off beam.
Good thing about this week is that im back to work so will have other things to occupy my mind except slimfast lol.
Checked bg directly after gym and it was 4.9

bluehils

Hi. Strange that your Bg used to go up after the gym. When I was on Metformin if I had a high Bg I would do some excersise and it would drop fairly quickly.
I mentioned that I had a prescription for optifast. Just been to chemist to try to get it. They said the £22 for 9 sachets was the trade price. I would be charged £22 plus their mark up plus a £20 handling charge plus vat!!!!What a rip off . Think I will use optislim or similar and tip out 10grams to get down to 170cals. and make up vits and minerals with suppliment.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Bluehills just goto Tesco and get slimfast and make it with water, its been fine for me tbh and it was only £3 a tub with 12 servings.

C

SuperRams

Well done to all, lets keep the momentum. Went to gym today first time in ages, expected my BG to be quite low but I tested when I got home and came in at 8.5, which is the highest its been for a number of days now. Bluehils, I concur with Geordie, give some of your money to Mr T's for the slimfast. Also played 5 a side last night for the first time in a month, play it late on so finished and got home about 2200. Went to bed and had the most peculiar nights sleep with some strange dreams, wonder if its related to my diet! Had a few sweats and shaking as well almost as if I was on the verge of going hypo which i shouldn't do as I am on no medication, I suppose my body is used to having high BG's so trains itself to act like that when it goes a bit low but then again I could be talking cobblers!!

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Superrams thats strange cos I had strange dreams the other night lol i suspect its the meds etc leaving system and our bodies getting used to the drop in bg. Had shakes before i came to work on bike today but by time i got in it was fine, had a salad from morrisons tonight which was lovely, no pasta or colesaw but lettuce, cucumber, beetroot, peppers onions a few onion sprinkles and some herb dressing, for some reason always tastes better than homemade???, Gonna check my bg at 830 to see if the sprinkles have spiked me.
It wud be lovely if it were this easy all the time wouldnt it lol, when Im like a spelk im hoping i can eat the nice things again in moderation of course, even if it means a day of slimfast and dust after ive had it lol, or beasting myself at the gym lol. I envy those people who can eat what they want and not put an ounce on lol.

SuperRams

Geordie, steady on the herb dressing, I presume there is some olive oil or oil of some description in there, remember no fat whatsoever. Now go to the naughty step!! Good idea though mate, you are right, mozza's salad always tastes better, try those stirfries though from ASDA.

Just a small chicken doner would do me fine!

minn

You're doing so well- keep it up! On the exercise point, my sister is type 1 and uses the gym- she finds that a core strength gym session brings the bg down and cardio sessions send it up.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
superrams it would be a large doner with chips and garlic sauce lol
the dressing is lovely and im training hard, its just to add a bit more flavour tbh

just cycled home , took bg after morri's salad and was only 5.7!!, just took bg when i got in at 0040 and it is 4.5 before bed.

Cant believe how the bg is going down tbh, feel like ive cracked it already but know i havent lol

beancounter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You might have cracked it Geordie - fingers crossed.

FBG 7.6 this morning, but that is with no meds so I am really pleased. No gym tonight though as babysitting my nephew, so I hope it doesn't spike upwards. Might have to persuade hubby to watch the baby for half an hour whilst i go for a walk round the block lol.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Hi beancounter havent cracked it yet i dont think lol.
Did my fbg this morning 4.5, theres a definite downward trend at minute which is excellent and not getting the dawn effect by looks of it.
Right off to gym....again lol, I really think the exercise is the secret coupled with the weight loss

whatdoesthisbuttondo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all,
I'm following this thread closely as I would like to do it after I have seen the diet doc at the end of this month.

It seems(broadly speaking) that any brand of shake does the job, its all down to taste and tolerance.
@Geordie, you mention stopping your meds before you started the diet. was that ALL meds or just Metfartin'?. What is the reason for doing this?

Also it would be good to hear from anyone who completed it last year and did they maintain the BG's and weight loss?, was it a struggle?did the lifestyle eating changes stick? was it worth it if your results crept back up?

Cheers!
Gav