starting newcastle diet on 2nd jan

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
first proper gym session of new year, 25 mins xtrainer then an arms session, felt fine tbh, struggling with drinking all the water but trying hard. feel ok not hungry, bg coming down.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Sugars coming down nicely, just did pre lunch and it is 7.9, not feeling hungry or cold, no headache so all is well saving loads of money not going to greggs lol, feel like i have plenty of energy too so all is well at the minute.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
fourth day lol, went to gym last night loads of energy, had a nice plate of roast vegetables last night really tasty, newcastle won 3-0 so alls good. Checked fbg this morning, 7.7!! almost halved in four days!!, not hungry, looking forward to next few weeks if im honest. Might have to buy new clothes lol. Dont be daunted by this diet its nowhere near as bad as it could be best thing for me is sugar levels dropping quickly

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
just been to grans funeral which was not good, then back to her house for a wake. Pies, cakes, drink on hand, what did I have.??? Water.. i feel some of the problem in our culture is that people take the mick when they ask why you want water. I am determined to stick at this diet and see if I can make a difference to my life. Point proved though when I got home, took my bg and it is 6.5....this is after four days and no medication!!! Its starting to dawn on me that if im honest i dont think this diet is a cure but what it shows is that diabetes(type2) is a lifestyle illness.
Ive been diagnosed for seven years yet by restricting what i eat(and believe me I love my food but eat because i like it not because I need it) I can control the outcome in the future.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
chocolate slim fast then nice plate of roasted veg for tea, then gym, good sesh, xtrainer, rowing machine and shoulder workout, then home to check my bg........6.7!!! Cant believe it tbh. Im sure my enthusiasm will wain at some point so come on guys feel free to post

louiseb

keep at it your doing well.
Im into my 3rd day of the diet and its going well my bg is dropping already it was 6.1 this morning fasting with no meds and I have lost 2 pound already.
although dont know how you can stomache the chocolate slimfast it tastes and smells vile.

beancounter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi - day two of the diet.

Yesterday FBG was 16.4 (!) and today it was 9.9.

Still on the meds at the moment :(

SuperRams

Hi there,
Hope you dont mind me jumping in on this but I have also started the Newcatle diet but on New Years Day. To give you a bit of history, I was sent to hospital a year last september after going to a walk in centre as I was suffering from blurred vision, urinating a lot and had a lost of weight in a short space of time. I spent 6 days in hospital, when admitted my sugar levels were 33. I was initially diagnosed as type 1 but they have never been 100% that I am type 1. I was doing really well on limited amounts of long acting insulin and so we made the decision to come off insulin last spetember, my sugars did go up and then they made the decision to onto Metformin which i tried for a few days but I had endless visits to the toilet shall we say! This was in early december so I went back onto my insulin, unfortunately at this point my sugar levels increased and I really struggled, i had levels up to 25 and none under 10, whereas pior to this they had all been under 8.
I made the decision to try the Newcastle diet during this as it was getting me down and I wasnt coping with it and I know i needed to lose weight. I am 6ft 1inch and at start of december I was 16st 3lb, on new years day morning i weighed myself before starting the newcastle and i was 16st 13lb. On that same morning my sugar level was 15.6. I have been very strict with it and had nothing additional to the diet than what is suggested. Obviously a lot of my weight was Christmas weight so that soon dropped off, I have been on ot now for 5 days and I am now 15st 13lb, incredible, my bloodsugar level is down to between 7 and 7.5 so really pleased so far and not finding it too difficult and I also think all flavours are nice!!!

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
excellent news but lets keep at it, doesnt it tell us a lot though that purely by limiting what we eat we can make such a massive difference to our sugars. We are predisposed to the disease but we can control it and lets be right, its not now that problems occur its in the future, i just hope that any damage i may have done to myself can be repaired by maintaining sensible eating and weight management in the future.
I got up this morning and did my fbg and it was 5.5!!!, thats down from 13.4 on monday !!!!
Havent weighed myself yet doing that once a week on monday, but must be losing weight as my wife said i looked like id lost weight, i appreciate that itll be mostly water but it is a great boost.
Big test is on saturday night going to a leaving do in town but gonna take car and drink water so im not tempted to get drunk lol.
Must admit feeling the cold a bit more than normal and was gonna go surfing this morning but couldnt face the freezing north sea lol. Gym later, rowing machine, x trainer then chest/abs session today i think.
Im taking photographs every monday on weigh day so i can look back and see the difference, as when you see yourself every day you dont realise how much of a difference you have made to your body.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
first time ive felt hungry this afternoon, had some carrot soup will have my slimfast before i go to the gym. Felt cold too lol thats cos im not wearing the blanket of fat i was lol(i wish)

beancounter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
FBG 9.2 this morning so a wee bit better, but higher than it was when I went to bed!! Not as impressive as you, Geordie - chuffed to bits for you :D

Felt quite hungry today, but have just had a plate of stir fry veg (cooked with water, not oil) and my shake and feel a lot better now xx

I will be weighing in on Saturday's, and will also be taking photos so hopefully I will see the weight coming off too - I will let you know how I get on.

I have been using Asda measure up shakes that are made with water, but when I got my delivery today - no shakes!! What do other people use? I may need to find an alternative if they do not come back into stock :(

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
hi beancounter I use slimfast and they seem to work fine for me, I know there was mention of high sugar in them but it doesnt seem to have affected my bg. Tescos are selling it half price(or were before xmas).
I think exercise is also crucial, ive been at gym four nights this week and will be cycling to work again next week, just been to gym and did chest sesh on weights then a fitness test on rowing machine that i got from a previous personal trainer, bloody hard work but completed in an average time of 1.14 which puts me in the good fitness bracket lol, mind i nearly collapsed as i got of rowing machine and i suspect ill be sore tomorrow lol.
If you cant get to gym even doing the stairs at home will do , 20 times up the stairs is a good start, at a slight jog, then walk back down and do it again, or a half hour walk around the streets, Its definetly a combination that gets best results for me, exercise and diet combined. Just got back and bg is 6.3, normally it spikes after gym workout so pleased that it hasnt.

SuperRams

Hi all,
Still keeping at it, really pleased so far how non difficult it has been (woouldnt say easy!). I am on nights and the smell of the other lads friday night kebabs was a killer in the office!! Not done any additional exercise but starting at the gym on Monday, Geordie - if you dont mind me asking what kind of weight are you? Surfing in the North Sea in January, are you quite right?! Just done my sugars, coming in at 6.9, really pleased! Not long to go now, only 50 days.............

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
hi super rams, no problem at all m8 i was 16 stone 9 lbs last monday, i say was as i think ill be less on monday coming lol.
Got up this morning and did my fbg it was 4.5!!!!! thats after five days. Mind I have been hitting gym hard this week but no harder than i was before lol. A mix of weights and cardio seem to be best for me. Felt a bit out of sorts last night, just didnt feel right but I havent had below five readings for a long time and i suppose my body isnt used to it lol. I think it will be difficult to keep this up for two months so need your support guys, was so tempted to have a chocolate last night but i didnt lol

bluehils

Hi. I started the Newcastle diet on the same day as you so it will be interesting to compare notes as we progress. I have been type 2 for about 10 years so I am not sure that my outcome be be as posative as the subjects in the study who have had type 2 for less than 4yrs.
I see some of the replies comment that the diet is 800 calories not 600. I thought this as well, as it is stated on the diet sheet produced by the MRC at Newcastle, but reading the original academic paper it clearly states the TOTAL energy intake was 600 cals per day. 510 from the 3 Optifast shakes and the rest from 3 portions of non-starchy veg.
I started the diet on 800 cals for the first 4 days but having realised my mistake I cut down to 600 as from yesterday. You may be interested to know that I persuaded my doctor to give me a private prescription for Optifast. She was reluctant and has put a note on my records that she does not condone my diet. I have to pay for the Optifast - £22 for 9 sachets!!
FYI 2/1/12 weight 210.4 lbs Morning BG 11.2
7/1/12 weight 206.4 Morning BG 8.1
Goodluck

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
hi bluehills deffo do a compare. I havent weighed myself yet, thats for monday lol.
Got up this morning and did my fbg it was 4.5! went up to 6.7 after slimfast.
Lunchtime it had dropped down to 4.7 by lunchtime then checked two hours later it is 4.4.
I def think the exercise is the key to accelerating the reduction in sugars.
I went to my doctors and saw my nurse who didnt know too much about it but went and asked if it was ok to do it, she came back and asked if i would be a guinea pig lol i said ok.
Its only a few days in but all the figures are going in right direction so gonna do my best to stick at it.
Finding it a bit more difficult at cos im getting hungry and my wife said breath smelled so get some chewing gum lol

beancounter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Weighed myself today - have lost three pounds in three days. Very happy with that :D
FBG 8.4 so still improving.

Gym tomorrow with my daughter, but will take Geordie's advice and go for a walk with the hubby later to stock up on slimfast :) i normally go to the gym about three times a week, but may start exercising in between too - swimming I think :shock:

I think the weekends may the hardest for me, but to keep myself busy I have sorted out my linen cupboard. i think I may end up with a very tidy house lol.

SuperRams

Hi all,just had my dinner time shake, it was fantastic...especially when I took the kids to the chip shop for their Saturday treat. As far as the 600/800 kcal discussion is concerned, i have seen both written on official paperwork from Newcastle University however I am not too concerned - I think the key is zero fat so that the body starts to utilise its own fat, I cant see that 6 or 800 kcal makes much of a difference TBH. Beancounter - get yourself to Tesco for the Slimfast £3 a tub, it wasnt marked up as such in mine but it went through at £3. I like your idea of a stir fry, will give that a go tomorrow I think for Sunday dinner, what did you use? Just done my BG and came in at 8.7 which was about an hour after salad, so it is clearly having an affect. I do like to test myself regularly and weigh myself regularly as it reminds me of why I am doing it. Lets all keep at it, first one off's a loser!!!

beancounter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Superrams,

I stir steamed mushrooms, spring onions, bean sprouts, peppers, cabbage - just did them in the wok with a splash of water, some chilli flakes and garlic. Really nice :D

Didn't get to Tesco for the Slimfast- family popped round. Will go after the gym tomorrow. Do you make it with milk or water?

Had a mushroom medley tonight with some parsley. Going to make a cabbage and leek soup for dinner tomorrow.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
morning all, another big test last night lol one of the lads was leaving so it was his 'do' in town, I drove and drank tonic water(slimline of course), came home checked my bg and it was 6.3.
Got up this morning did fbg and it is 4.7, cant believe how quickly it has dropped. Bit of a muggy head this morning and cant blame the drink lol gonna take a headache tablet and drink plenty of water poss a bit de-hydrated. I got my slimfast from Tescos for 3 quid a tub so i bought 12 lol, should last me about six/seven weeks, when im nearing the end of the tubs im nearing the end of the diet. Have to say yesterday was a bad day as far as food went, didnt eat anything i shudnt but could have killed for a bacon sandwich lol.
Lets all keep at it and see how we get on, lets not kid ourselves it aint gonna be easy but for the sake of two months abstinence if it brings our sugars under control its worth it, lets stick at it.
Weigh day tomorrow !!!!!!