starting newcastle diet on 2nd jan

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
hi gav
As far as stopping my meds before diet, from what i understand if you are lowering your bg sufficiently and on metformin(metfartin would be a better name tbh) then you could have hypos as it could drop to low.
I stopped before xmas to see what would happen and on my first day my fbg was 13.4! After a week it dropped to between 4-5. and has stayed there.
It is not an easy diet to stay on cos i suspect it will get boring, but i think if i can stick at it for the two months i will have trained my mind to realise i dont need loads of food through the day etc.
One thing I will say though is Im not going to live like a monk once im done on the diet. I will certainly adjust my eating habits in the future but will allow my self a treat now and again, just not as often as i do now. The medication should be used to assist me in reducing my bg not give me justification not to eat sensibly and do no exercise.
As an aside jsut been to gym checked bg on return 4.5, seems to stick around that figure most of the time now!

SuperRams

Well done Geordie, I take it your on afternoons then? I got week off which makes it doubly difficult with all those kids snacks around the house, havent cracked yet though. I concur with Geordie, you are at risk of running a hypo if you dont at least ease back on your meds and you dont want one of those. As geordie states the lack of carbs going into your body will make you more prone to hypo as the meds continue to bring your sugar count down, carbs keeps it up.

I also would like to hear from anybody who carried out this diet last year? Was there any long lasting changes? To me, its worth the struggle even if only to lose a couple of stone which surely would make my diabetes easier to manage anyway.

OK, Ill have a large doner shish on nan, everything on it plus extra onions please.

Beancounter, have you a little pair of dumbells at home that you could exercise with, there is a school of thought that says muscle type of exercises lower the BG than running etc, can't remember where i read that but i have done before.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Hi Superrams, Aye im on lates unfortunately lol see what death and disaster befalls the north east tonight.
I had my lunch and two hours after had a reading of 4!!
TBH i dont know if im exercising too much on this diet, as im at the gym and cycling to work on the same day.
What are normal BG readings for people with type 2??

SuperRams

TBH Geordie I would ease back slightly on the exercise, you aren't taking in a lot of energy, I have had a couple of dizzy spells after standing up too quickly which I dont normally get, i would hate you to have a dizzy spell whilst biking back from work. I dont think there is any 'normal' readings for type 2 diabetes, depends if you are insulin dependent or diet, or medication. I know when i was first in hospital it was 33 and they wouldnt let me out before it had dropped under 10, I would suggest the normal range is between 4 and 6.5, what do you do anyway mate

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Had a nice morri's salad again , tiny bit of cous cous and three pasta shells lol and loads of salad, was lovely, gonna check my bg at 630 before i go to a job to see if its spiked it or not.
i think once im finished on this diet im gonna have to see what food cause me problems, but like most im fairly certain its carbs tbh

SuperRams

Geordie, carbs will always send BG up, it depends in what form you eat them. If you eat plain white bread it will shoot up and straight back down again therefore providing you with no energy. If you have Burgen Soya and linseed oil (v nice) it will give you a very very steady rise and fall, gives you far more energy, granary as well, same as wholewheat pasta vs normal. Potatoes are not very good though. best ones are waxy new potatoes. Unless you need them then try not to overload on them, some say that there is sufficient carbs in veg etc to keep you going.

beancounter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Burgen bread is very nice....

I haven't got dumbells at home but may get some - at the moment I am doing more weights than cardio at the gym as I am a bit worried I may have a hypo if I spend too long on the treadmill. Just managed to go for a half hour walk in my lunch hour today as I had no time for the gym, so dumbells at home would be great for days like today.

Today was day seven for me and I feel like I am getting used to the diet - felt hungry, but only before shake time. I had an asda stirfry for tea with some added garlic and chilli flakes and actually felt full -for about an hour lol.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
just got in checked my bg and it was 3.9!!
I dont know whats going on lol but im not complaining, had my morrisons salad earlier and i got a 6.3 after two hours but now its dropped to 3.9.
Not complaining but gonna have to watch it so it doesnt drop any lower, but in reality it shouldnt.
Im wondering if its the diet and the exercise im doing, did a leg session today along with abs, then xtrainer and rowing machine, then cycled to and from work, is this too much i wonder?? But what do i cut if i want to lose weight then surely the exercise cant do any real harm just drop my bg to 'normal' pre type 2 levels??
Confused but not worried.com

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Checked bg this morning and it was 4.7 so happy enough with that.
Gonna give gym a miss today after ydays low readings, but still gonna cycle to work.
I think its body adjusting to low sugars and no meds, not worried but i suppose thats the benefit of regular bg tests
Dont feel unwell or shaky so not overly concerned. Back to gym on Friday night I think then sat and sun off.
Hope its doing me good lol

bluehils

Hi. From what I have read our bodies should now be in Ketosis. i.e.burning fat cells for energy. The fat cells do not break down to form glucose but form fatty acids which are then used by our bodies for energy. From what I have read the fatty acids are good for sustained excercise but not necessarily good at providing energy for intensive excercise. You may wish to tailor your excercise with this in mind. Whatever you are doing though it seems to be working -I only wish that my BG was as low as yours. Mine was 6.2 this morning which is the lowest its been so far - so at least its going in the right direction.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Bluehills its going down thats the most important thing.
I was worried last night that it was too low but today all my bg's have been between 4 and 6, before and two hours after my shakes.
I didnt go to gym just cycled to work, now off to get my morrisons salad mmmmmmm
I will look at my programme but anaerobic exercise is good for continued weight loss and to speed the metabolism up, i try to do a combination of aerobic and anaerobic when i go to the gym so i think i'll just monitor my bg's and adjust as i need to.
Isnt it strange that im now worried about hypo's and not hypers lol

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Just read interesting article about muscle giving better insulin sensitivity, I would agree with that tbh when i train i do cardio and resistance work and different specific muscle groups every session.
I think the secret to it is find an equally determined training partner, I go with my neighbour who is older than me but very focused, and we gee each other up and take the p*** when we are struggling lol which tends to make us even more determined.
No matter how old or unfit you are exercise is crucial and every journey starts with the first step so dont set your expectation too high, if you can only manage a couple of minutes on the stepper or can only lift 5 kg during your weight session, then thats a starting point to build on and believe me its amazing how quickly you can improve.

Immis

Hi All,

Well done on the results that all of you are getting and keep it up.
I too am newly diagnosed with type 2 (Oct 2011) and have been gearing myself to start the Newcastle diet in Jan.
My main problem is that my GP does not know about the study and refuses to read about it or help me with monitoring me. I have decided to go it alone.
The 2ns query that I have is that since the beginning of Jan my sugar has stayed between 4.0-5.8 with one spike being at 6.2 (a long way from the 21 when diagnosed). This is with some days taking meds and some not. With levels like these do you guys think that there is a larger risk of going hypo?
Once again keep it up, your results have been a great help to me and I will post mine as and when I start.

Will

Immis,

If your GP won't help you, I suggest coming off meds if you are on Metformin to avoid hypos, particularly if your fbg remains so low.

Will

Geordie90,

Well done on the diet. You have shown that normalisation of blood glucose occurs in the first week of the Newcastle diet in suitable candidates. That is really great news because the rest of the diet is about getting rid of pancreatic fat to cope with higher carbs when the diet is over. Give it a week or two and you will feel confident at not bothering to test after meals and eventually testing fbg 2 or 3 times a week. Exercise is about how you feel.

The Newcastle diet suggested maintaining current exercise levels to avoid increased exercise during the 8 weeks confounding the principle of proving that diet alone can reverse diabetes.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Wills thanks for that you seem very knowedgable about the diet did you do it last year?
I did my fbg this morning and it was 4.4 which is excellent and i cant complain at that.
I def think that the combination of weight loss and exercise is what gets your body back on track and lets be right any weight loss is a good thing.
Immis I came off my metformin about two weeks before i started the diet. I was on 4 500mg metformin a day and as you can see from my bg's they have normailsed almost immediately.
Obviously it is still early dys but as wills has already mentioned if after the next six and a half weeks i make in roads on getting rid of the visceral fat around my organs and I start to produce sufficient amounts of insulin for when i start to eat normally again (albeit with a more healthy diet) then the two months of abstinence is def worth it.
I havent changed my training programme since coming on the diet and intend to continue doing the same during the course of the diet

descartesmum

I started the Metabolism Miracle diet on the 9th and I have to admit that with 3 days in my bs has gone down. I'm not hungry and find that I can't finish my supper. Because my bs numbers have been high I had been experiencing some hypo symptoms even though I am just getting into the 5 range but then again my usual range is between 6 and 7 no matter what I do.

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Geordie - have you found it hard to keep the diet up/ motivation or are you now in the swing of things?

SuperRams

Hi all, Just been to the gym again today, come back and I am a 10.1, very disappointed. I started diet on 1st January and have stuck to it religiously. After my initial lowering, they have stayed around the 7 mark. Did a 15.75 mile walk yesterday with my doggy and it drop to 6.7. I am finding the diet itself fine really, I have a few moments where I would like some food but that is it. I am starting tothink that maybe my initial diagnosis of possible type 1 may be about right and the spell I had before xmas where they went through the roof maybe the ending of my honeymoon period. Or maybe 1.5? Anyway, I shall keep at it and TBH if anybody is considering doing the diet i would deffo go for it if only to lose some poundage which inevitably you will do.