Slowly trying to eat right..is this good enough to eat?

B17_Fan

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For breakfast I used to have 2 weetabix and a malted milk biscuit.
I now have 1 weetabix and a serving (40g) of high bran

For lunch I have 2 slices of warburtons seeded bread with cheese, and a protein bar

Do you think these 2 meals are good enough for a lower Carb diet?
The lunch keeps me going (no hunger of low sugar) until teatime at 6pm.

I have ir and my sugars always seem on the low side

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For breakfast I used to have 2 weetabix and a malted milk biscuit.
I now have 1 weetabix and a serving (40g) of high bran

For lunch I have 2 slices of warburtons seeded bread with cheese, and a protein bar

Do you think these 2 meals are good enough for a lower Carb diet?
The lunch keeps me going (no hunger of low sugar) until teatime at 6pm.

I have ir and my sugars always seem on the low side
Hello @B17_Fan ,

....That still looks very carby to me. And you're always on the low side probably because of those carbs. (RH being an overreaction of your pancreas to what carbs you do eat). You might want to try just having a bunch of eggs with bacon, cheese, tomato or high meat content sausages for breakfast. Maybe full fat greek yoghurt with some berries or nuts, or coconut shavings tossed in? Anything wheat based isn't going to do your blood sugars any favours, really. Not too enthused about the bread either, if it's the 18 grams of carbs a slice kind and I looked up the right one... https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ was written with T2's in mind, but it should help you along too, I hope. Good luck evening things out eh.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not really.. Weetabix are 69% carbohydrate bran flakes (assuming thats what you mean ) are 66% so virtually no difference

Bread is probably what 40% carbs ?

You'd be far better off with eggs and bacon for breakfast and cheese and ham for lunch.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I mean, if you test your sugars and they are fine, then have at it. Personally I wouldn't eat anything you list except the cheese.

Reactions: LaoDan

B17_Fan

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I mean, if you test your sugars and they are fine, then have at it. Personally I wouldn't eat anything you list except the cheese.

I was thinking with the lunch, if it keeps my blood sugar stable until tea time, then wouldn't that help with weight loss?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was thinking with the lunch, if it keeps my blood sugar stable until tea time, then wouldn't that help with weight loss?
I know this wasn't directed at me, but... Ditch carbs, lose weight. Ditch carbs, keep blood sugars stable. Ditch carbs, win all over the place. I assume you're measuring? Have you ever seen the peak you got from the bread before a crash? No idea what is in the protein bar, those carb contents can vary wildly. Maybe test every half hour. Once before you eat, and up until 2 hours after, maybe three, as I don't know when your lows hit. See what your blood sugars are up and down to. I don't know what numbers you're currently seeing, but basically it's less carbs, more fats, and that goes for RH as well as T2. Should also help with the weight loss.

B17_Fan

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know this wasn't directed at me, but... Ditch carbs, lose weight. Ditch carbs, keep blood sugars stable. Ditch carbs, win all over the place. I assume you're measuring? Have you ever seen the peak you got from the bread before a crash? No idea what is in the protein bar, those carb contents can vary wildly. Maybe test every half hour. Once before you eat, and up until 2 hours after, maybe three, as I don't know when your lows hit. See what your blood sugars are up and down to. I don't know what numbers you're currently seeing, but basically it's less carbs, more fats, and that goes for RH as well as T2. Should also help with the weight loss.

I do test but not all the time (my mum is type 1, so lets me test from time to time)
I have been eating the B Good chocolate and peanut protein bars. Another family member is type 1, and he finds the protein bars don't spike his sugars.

I don't seem to experience a crash with the bread. My lunch keeps me going. I thought the seeded bread was low gi, with the cheese being low Carb and the protein bar low Carb (13g) ...I thought I'd got it right

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do test but not all the time (my mum is type 1, so lets me test from time to time)
I have been eating the B Good chocolate and peanut protein bars. Another family member is type 1, and he finds the protein bars don't spike his sugars.

I don't seem to experience a crash with the bread. My lunch keeps me going. I thought the seeded bread was low gi, with the cheese being low Carb and the protein bar low Carb (13g) ...I thought I'd got it right
Could be you got it right. Wouldn't work for me, but I'm a T2, not an RH (...anymore. Didn't find out what was what it was until it was over). We're all different, which is why I asked about what numbers you're seeing. If it's working for you, it's working for you.

B17_Fan

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could be you got it right. Wouldn't work for me, but I'm a T2, not an RH (...anymore. Didn't find out what was what it was until it was over). We're all different, which is why I asked about what numbers you're seeing. If it's working for you, it's working for you.

Oh thankyou, this is a lovely reply. I get so confused and always think I'm getting things wrong...I should be eating this, not that...tell you what, I'll test before lunch and 2 hours after and let you know

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

B17_Fan

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I forgot to check before lunch, but my sugar 2 hours after lunch is 5.7

I don't know if that's good or not?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I forgot to check before lunch, but my sugar 2 hours after lunch is 5.7

I don't know if that's good or not?
Pretty good, actually. It's not a hypo, and it's not a hyper. So, yay!