Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

markd

Re: Type 2's : What was your fasting blood glucose in a morn

4.6 again today - a really good run since Christmas culminating in an A1c of 4.9 the other day.

Sad thing is that I know I have to stay on the straight and narrow forever; previous illnesses I got well, back to normal and life went on as before.

I suppose I should be celebrating, but instead just feel rather gloomy about life - maybe it's just the weather and time of year - the first few weeks of the year are supposed to be the ones that trigger the highest rates of depression anyway.

I know, maybe I'll go for a pint or two tonight - that's usually a good remedy for the blues...

MarkD

miggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2

hi i have just been told i got type two my blood was 8.6 then after lucozade test it was 13 just wanted to no how these readings are?these reading from blood test done by doctor

A

Anonymous

Hi Miggy,

I'm no expert (new here too). What was the Lucozade for - many people use it as an emergency drink to bring your level back up during a hypo (I keep a bottle in the car), but if you were at 8.6 you weren't near a hypo. Also, how long after drinking it did you test your sugars?

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia

Sounds a bit like a Glucose Tolerance Test...

A

Anonymous

Sorry Miggy,

didn't read your post properly. :oops:

miggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2

hi swimmer it was a glucose test my first blood test was 8.6 then they gave me lucozade to test me then come back at 13 so was just wondering what it all meant and how readings where if they were about right only got told few days ago so dont no very much at mo many thanxs

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Mine was 4.9 this morning, really pleased that it wasn't a fluke and that I've got the numbers down.

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

5.7-my lowest fbg level since diagnosis :D

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.

chocoholicnomore said:
5.7-my lowest fbg level since diagnosis :D

Congrats :D

I have run out of strips but am trying to eat sensibly, hopefully it will be ok.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

Well done Marina! :clap:

Miggy, a Glucose Tolerance Test is to see how quickly your body deals with sugar/carbohydrate. They test your blood glucose fasting, then they give you a measured amount of glucose to drink (the Lucozade) and test again at 1 hour (sometimes) and definitely at 2 hours. If your blood glucose hasn't dropped enough (I think it's below 11.1, but can't remember at the moment) then your body isn't dealing with the glucose properly and you have diabetes. Try the search box on the index page - there's more about it on here.

Try not to worry - you'll soon get the hang of it, and we're all here to help. Ask anything you like - there's no such thing as a silly question! :D

4.9 at 08:30 today.

Viv 8)

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.

Well done Marina and Viv :)

I was 4.8 this morning and 4.9 two hours after breakfast and a very cold walk, but there was the most beautiful sunrise.

sdgray22

Dislikes
Loud Music, Confrontations, blood and gore on the TV

I understand this but it seems most of you have your levels pretty much in control. I am new and want to know where you all started. I have a fasting level first thing in the morning of 11.5 to 12 and I need to get that down, have any of you started that high, and if so was it meds or diet and exercise that did it.
Sharon

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.

When I started testing my levels were up in the high 7's/low 8's. I got my levels down by losing weight. One magic tip for me was to exercise 45 minutes to one hour after eating. I tend not to eat anthing in the evenings after about 6.30 pm, apart from maybe a satsuma or apple if I get the munchies.

One thing I've learned about diabetes is that different things work for different people. There's no one-fit rule for everyone.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

I was diagnosed early and my fasting BGs have never been much above 7. I have brought mine down over nearly 2 years by low-carbing. The diet I use is a Sticky Thread - look on the Board Index.
Viv's Modified Atkins Diet.

My diet is very low carb, which suits me. If you've been eating lots of carbohydrate foods, it's probably advisable to reduce your intake slowly at first. Aim for 100g - 150g carb a day (like Grazer) and if that doesn't work, go lower. Exercise is essential really, as long as you are able to (I'm not, at the moment), but it doesn't have to be "sweaty gym" -type exercise. Walking the dog twice a day helps - aim for 20 minutes that makes you slightly breathless, and work up from that. If you already exercise, keep at it.

If your morning readings are the highest of the day it probably means that you are experiencing "Dawn Phenomenon", where your liver pushes some glucose into your system to get you ready for the day. This is quite normal, and probably happened to all of us at the beginning, so don't worry about it. Get control of those carbs, and things will improve.

Remember, you are in this for the long term, so don't be too impatient. You need to change your lifestyle into something you are comfortable with and can maintain, so go at it steadily. You'll get there! :D

Viv 8)

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

My fasting bg level was in the 12s on first diagnosis. Sometimes higher.

I drastically changed my eating habits (lowish carbing), lost weight and started to exercise.
(I was previously surviving on chocolate and cakes and biscuits :oops: )

It does take time to get the hang of things but it does work and I now feel much better than I did back in September. Also, getting compliments about the weight loss and how well I am looking definitely spurs me on. :D

Hang on in there sdgray and I can assure you it will work eventually. Just keep active in the forum and ask as many questions. I couldn't have done it without everybody's help and advice on here.

(Edit: Meant to say I am also on 2x 500g metformin per day)

3of9

Type of diabetes
Type 2

My fasting BG's were 12 to 13 sometimes higher when first diagnosed.

My first reading on my new meter, the day after being told, (12/12/2011) was 23+.

After lurking and reading the other newbie posts , I changed my eating habits to low carb.
No mean feat over Christmas and new year :evil: especially the Lager :roll:
Now my FBG is between 6.3 to 7.2 and I have lost 10lb in weight as well :clap:

Now I am eating GI carbs experimentally and trying to figure out whats good for me and whats bad. Also joined a local Pool and Gym to start a regular fitness regime.

This is my first post but it is also a thankyou to the forum, without you all, I would have despaired at getting my BG down to the acceptable levels in the notes for newbies .

Type 2 diagnosed 12/12/2011
3 x Metformin 500mg

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hi 3of9 and welcome to the forum.

As a relative newbie myself I agree with you that the help and advice from all the experienced members has been great.

And congrats to you. :clap: You have done really well getting your bg levels down and losing weight over Christmas period. I am only just getting back into the swing of it and it's nearly February-lost the plot a bit over Christmas :oops:

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

I lost the plot over Christmas too - we are only human, after all, and in my case, greedy! :oops: :lol:

A very strange night last night - I didn't get to bed until after 02:00 (no, nothing exciting :roll: - unless you count Sudoku :lol: ) and then didn't sleep properly because our local BBC radio transmitter seems to be off the air, and I'm used to sleeping with the World Service (that could be phrased better :shock: ).

Anyway, finally woke up at 09:30 with BG at 5.4 - perfectly acceptable, but a bit higher than my usual at the moment. Maybe a touch of Dawn Phenomenon because I was about 1.5 hours later than usual.

My weigh-in tomorrow!

Viv 8)

ukmike

My fasting BG this morning was 4.7,1st.time it's been in the 4's since being diagnosed T2 in October.The 1st. time i tested with my new meter back then it was 17!Normal readings 2 hr after main meal is now 6 to 7.All done thanks to low carb diet & all the other tips on this superb forum.I've also lost nearly 2 stone in weight.
Mike

sdgray22

Dislikes
Loud Music, Confrontations, blood and gore on the TV

Ok going in the right direction my fasting levels are down from usual 12 to 10.4 today. Not a lot Iknow but a large step for me.
It at least gives you a bit of motivation that something is moving and I am doing the right thing just got to sort something for breakfast that does not spike me.
:think:
Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies.