Still high.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Hi. I’m trying to b positive but I don’t kno what is going on with my bloods. 2 hrs after handful of special k and cashews no milk (don’t like it) I’m hitting 10.4!!!! I woke on a 6.4. I’m on metformin now - anyone else struggling? Could it b the meter? X. I am waiting to speak to my nurse. X

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I’m trying to b positive but I don’t kno what is going on with my bloods. 2 hrs after handful of special k and cashews no milk (don’t like it) I’m hitting 10.4!!!! I woke on a 6.4. I’m on metformin now - anyone else struggling? Could it b the meter? X. I am waiting to speak to my nurse. X

I'd say no, it's not the meter it's the Special K!!!! That special K is basically a handful of sugar, sorry.

Reactions: ert and SuNuman

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
I'd say no, it's not the meter it's the Special K!!!! That special K is basically a handful of sugar, sorry.
Even a handful? X. The other day cornflakes (same amount) gave me a good reading with strawberries. X. Thank you. X

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Even a handful? X. The other day cornflakes (same amount) gave me a good reading with strawberries. X. Thank you. X

Hi there, I know we are all different and so are our tolerance levels, but yes, in and of itself that handful is like a direct sugar hit. You'll never get an exact same result when you eat the exact same thing and amount because many other factors can come into it. Basically though, if you think of that handful as 3 spoons of sugar it is going to raise you (probably) fast and high. How long did it take to come down again if you know? x

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Hi there, I know we are all different and so are our tolerance levels, but yes, in and of itself that handful is like a direct sugar hit. You'll never get an exact same result when you eat the exact same thing and amount because many other factors can come into it. Basically though, if you think of that handful as 3 spoons of sugar it is going to raise you (probably) fast and high. How long did it take to come down again if you know? x
It’s still sane after 3 hrs. Yes Mayb I will just have strawberries and raspberries for breakfast or bacon and egg. X. Thank you. X

Reactions: KK123

OB87

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you newly diagnosed? It can take a while for blood sugars to lower. A lot of people find they are more insulin resistant in the morning, I do so have my lowest carb meal of the day. Are you weighing the cereal? You might be having more of it than you think or it might just be too much for you at the moment. A higher protein breakfast will help and will keep you fuller for longer. It's a trial and error at first but it becomes easier.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As @KK123 mentioned, there are multiple things that affect our blood sugars beyond just what we ea
One of these can be time of day.
At the start of the day, our helpful livers dump a load of glucose into our blood to give us energy to start the day, Some of us see a rise before we get up (Dawn Phenomenon) and some see the rise after we have started moving (Foot on the Floor).
I mentioned this because I wonder if @SuNuman experienced Foot on the Floor rise which exaggerated the rise with your Special K.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Are you newly diagnosed? It can take a while for blood sugars to lower. A lot of people find they are more insulin resistant in the morning, I do so have my lowest carb meal of the day. Are you weighing the cereal? You might be having more of it than you think or it might just be too much for you at the moment. A higher protein breakfast will help and will keep you fuller for longer. It's a trial and error at first but it becomes easier.
Thanks. Yes. I used to b able to control it by diet but I still ate bread and jacket potatoes but now having put my weight back on, I cannot seem to tolerate any **** carbs. Thank you. X

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
As @KK123 mentioned, there are multiple things that affect our blood sugars beyond just what we ea
One of these can be time of day.
At the start of the day, our helpful livers dump a load of glucose into our blood to give us energy to start the day, Some of us see a rise before we get up (Dawn Phenomenon) and some see the rise after we have started moving (Foot on the Floor).
I mentioned this because I wonder if @SuNuman experienced Foot on the Floor rise which exaggerated the rise with your Special K.
Thank you. I’m eating so little at the mo too. X

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Definitely not your meter! It is the Special K. Check the box for the total number of carbs in the nutrition label. Cereals of any kind are never good for T2's. I'm not a nut eater, but I think cashews aren't brilliant either, depending on how many you eat. There are better choices for nuts. I'm sure nut lovers will correct me if I'm wrong.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/low-carb-nuts#TOC_TITLE_HDR_11

For breakfast try a full fat Greek yogurt with 2 or 3 strawberries or raspberries, or eggs cooked any which way, or bacon, eggs, mushrooms. Personally, I just have a soft boiled egg and a mug of tea, which sees me through nicely until lunch time. I couldn't believe it would without bread soldiers, but it sure does. I also went through a phase of no food, just a decaf coffee with double cream and that also did the trick. Use your meter - test IMMEDIATELY before you eat, keep a food diary, and record your levels alongside. You can then see patterns emerging and be able to change things accordingly.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Bear in mind that cashew nuts are 30% carbohydrate. That would add to the effect of Special K. All this seems depressing at first,
but I'm sure if you follow the advice of the above, you will feel better AND happier!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @SuNuman - Sounds like your having a right time of it..

I tend to find I am more insulin resistant in the morning so avoid carbs as they can send me through the roof, I can eat carbs when more active during the day though and although I take insulin I can control the spikes more easily when more active. If your running out of ideas of what to eat then this site is a good resource: https://www.dietdoctor.com/

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Special K !!! NOT so special for we diabetics I'm afraid SuNuman :( xx

Reactions: Grant_Vicat and ert

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe write down how many carbs in an ingredient, and weigh the portion size so you can become aware of what you are eating? It may sounds life a faff, but it saves time in the long run as you become used to your body and portion sizes etc

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can handle a reasonable amount of carbs, about 75g a day - but not at breakfast.
I have a slice of LivLife toast (3.4g) with my bacon and egg and the effect is the same as 30g carbs or more at dinner. 50g of Special K is nearly 40g of carbs!

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
I can handle a reasonable amount of carbs, about 75g a day - but not at breakfast.
I have a slice of LivLife toast (3.4g) with my bacon and egg and the effect is the same as 30g carbs or more at dinner. 50g of Special K is nearly 40g of carbs!
Thank you. I will look up LivLife. X

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Definitely not your meter! It is the Special K. Check the box for the total number of carbs in the nutrition label. Cereals of any kind are never good for T2's. I'm not a nut eater, but I think cashews aren't brilliant either, depending on how many you eat. There are better choices for nuts. I'm sure nut lovers will correct me if I'm wrong.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/low-carb-nuts#TOC_TITLE_HDR_11

For breakfast try a full fat Greek yogurt with 2 or 3 strawberries or raspberries, or eggs cooked any which way, or bacon, eggs, mushrooms. Personally, I just have a soft boiled egg and a mug of tea, which sees me through nicely until lunch time. I couldn't believe it would without bread soldiers, but it sure does. I also went through a phase of no food, just a decaf coffee with double cream and that also did the trick. Use your meter - test IMMEDIATELY before you eat, keep a food diary, and record your levels alongside. You can then see patterns emerging and be able to change things accordingly.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Thank you so much. X

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Bear in mind that cashew nuts are 30% carbohydrate. That would add to the effect of Special K. All this seems depressing at first,
but I'm sure if you follow the advice of the above, you will feel better AND happier!
Thank you. X