How am I doing?

pinkfoot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just over four weeks ago I went to see my GP with a bad stomach and he took me off Metformin, I had taken it for the best part of 18 years.

Something inside me clicked and I took big steps to try and get off my Dapafliglozin (sp?) in the two weeks I had before returning to see him. I got myself a new meter and started testing regularly, I also dropped potatoes, bread, chocolate and anything with sugar in - Yes, I had carried on as if I wasn't type 2. The biggest thing for me was dropping the beer, I love a pint but I now realise just what it was doing to me.

Two weeks passed and I re-visited my GP armed with a couple of days readings, he immediately took me of the Dapa but kept me on my Trulicity pen, once a week.

Where am I going with this? I need some input from you, the members of the forum, please. Call it self gratification or reassurance, whatever you will, but I need to hear what you guys think. My two week average stands at 6.5, I've lost three Kilos or so and my state of mind is massively improved, I feel alert and alive again. Can I expect this great feeling to go on or am I heading for a crash? What motivated you to change and how have you done since your change, the highs and the lows.

Sorry for the ramble, but I wanted to share my experience with people who understand how I feel.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @pinkfoot.
Give yourself a pat on the back. That is good going to come off meds after so long.
You are feeling great, alert again. You can keep feeling great. Seems like you know how. You will only crash if you choose to. Clue … What you eat and drink will make or break you.

My motivation to change has been a slight increase in HbA1c and a fondness for cheese and nuts and cream, so indulging in a bit too much of the low carb higher fat grub. So weight loss stalled, and even increased weight a bit during this pandemic. have pulled myself up and getting that sorted. Reason, I am getting too old to be dragging myself around, got to get living not just existing.
The highs are the feeling alert, with less bulk for my arthritic joints to lug about, the lows, this past year losing loved ones to covid and cancers, and thinking that the effort of making an effort to be well was futile. Thank goodness I am over that now.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Just over four weeks ago I went to see my GP with a bad stomach and he took me off Metformin, I had taken it for the best part of 18 years.

Something inside me clicked and I took big steps to try and get off my Dapafliglozin (sp?) in the two weeks I had before returning to see him. I got myself a new meter and started testing regularly, I also dropped potatoes, bread, chocolate and anything with sugar in - Yes, I had carried on as if I wasn't type 2. The biggest thing for me was dropping the beer, I love a pint but I now realise just what it was doing to me.

Two weeks passed and I re-visited my GP armed with a couple of days readings, he immediately took me of the Dapa but kept me on my Trulicity pen, once a week.

Where am I going with this? I need some input from you, the members of the forum, please. Call it self gratification or reassurance, whatever you will, but I need to hear what you guys think. My two week average stands at 6.5, I've lost three Kilos or so and my state of mind is massively improved, I feel alert and alive again. Can I expect this great feeling to go on or am I heading for a crash? What motivated you to change and how have you done since your change, the highs and the lows.

Sorry for the ramble, but I wanted to share my experience with people who understand how I feel.
YEAY! You have taken the most important steps, which of course are throwing out all the bad carbs. THAT is why you feel so good. I threw mine out almost 8 weeks ago now and honestly I am amazed at how much younger and fitter I feel. I'm still on one metformin per day but see my DN next week for first review since Aug. 2018, so she may even take me off this final one. So pleased for you and as the song says Things Can Only Get Better! xx

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My two week average stands at 6.5, I've lost three Kilos or so and my state of mind is massively improved, I feel alert and alive again. Can I expect this great feeling to go on or am I heading for a crash? What motivated you to change and how have you done since your change, the highs and the lows.

Great news and well done to you for taking control..

I started doing what you have done before I was officially diagnosed (it wasn't a surprise at 23 stone) so can't help on the medication but I imagine you'll be able to drop all the meds soon.
I found that a load of other problems that I had experienced just melted away once I'd got onto the low carb/ intermittent fasting rollercoatser.

Sleep apnea, acid reflux, peeing like a horse all disappeared after a few days and then blood pressure went down too. That was 5 years ago and they are still wonderfully absent from my life.

Your newly found feelings of health should continue so long as you follow the plan..

Reactions: pinkfoot

pinkfoot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all for your very kind words and advice.
It is all down to me now, I know. I so want to see my HbA1c drop below 48 and try to get off everything bar cholesterol control.

The other thing I'm looking forward to is having the clothes hang off me, I've been considering going to the local gym/pool, I hate the gym but enjoy swimming. They are so bloomin' expensive though and they won't split pool/gym fees.

The 6.5mmol reading, is that an acceptable one as an average?

@Pipp sorry to read of your bad year, here's hoping that things mend for the better for you.

Kev

Sax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
No longer being prescribed metformin.
The other thing I'm looking forward to is having the clothes hang off me,

All fun and games at first.
Then you start having to drill new holes in your favourite belt, and get someone to take in your trousers, to stop them falling down.
Then you buy a new belt and new trousers after a while since its gotten ridiculous.
Then 4 months later you have to start drilling holes in the new belt and look to get the new trousers taken in.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
All fun and games at first.
Then you start having to drill new holes in your favourite belt, and get someone to take in your trousers, to stop them falling down.
Then you buy a new belt and new trousers after a while since its gotten ridiculous.
Then 4 months later you have to start drilling holes in the new belt and look to get the new trousers taken in.
So true with me it ended in the shame of having to wear my grandson's cast offs when your twenty odd year old grandson says here grandad do you want my old pair of skinny jeans you know you've hit rock bottom.:)

To answer the op's question @pinkfoot you are doing brilliantly that's how you are doing keep it up.:)

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Thank you all for your very kind words and advice.
It is all down to me now, I know. I so want to see my HbA1c drop below 48 and try to get off everything bar cholesterol control.

The other thing I'm looking forward to is having the clothes hang off me, I've been considering going to the local gym/pool, I hate the gym but enjoy swimming. They are so bloomin' expensive though and they won't split pool/gym fees.

The 6.5mmol reading, is that an acceptable one as an average?

@Pipp sorry to read of your bad year, here's hoping that things mend for the better for you.

Kev

@pinkfoot I found it easier to not bother about BG averages (since unless you have a Continuous Glucose Monitor, you aren't ever going to be testing when you are at your lowest reading (while you are asleep).
If you keep the post meal 2hr rise to less than 2.0 and the absolute max post meal to 8.0 then your HBa1C numbers will drop into the 'pre-diabetic' or the 'normal' range. No need to stress about it because stress raises Blood Glucose - just what you want to avoid!

Walking, swimming, moderate exertion cycling and weight training are all suitable exercises for diabetics, but no need to do more than a brisk walk 5 times per week. Too vigorous an exercise session will actually raise your Blood Glucose. So diet or more precisely a 'Way Of Eating' is much more important than either exercise or (most) medication.

Reactions: pinkfoot