Type 2 Is it possible to have neuropathy in early Diabetes?

Slambo

Was diagnosed Type 2 at 30 years old with an A1C of 6.5 (7mmol) 3 weeks ago. Have lost 25lbs (11.3kg) since doing the Newcastle/DiRECT diet. But around the time of diagnosis my feet and and sometimes my hands have been burning, tingling, numb. Feel like I check the boxes for DPN with symptoms and as a diabetic, high triglycerides, smoker, drinker, etc. My doctor and stepdad (also a MD) think it’s very unlikely and that DPN comes from years of uncontrolled diabetes. I just had my blood checked for deficiencies today and have a nerve conduction test scheduled in a few weeks. Any experience with this? Any thoughts or remedies?

Last edited:

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Was diagnosed Type 2 at 30 years old with an A1C of 6.5 (7mmol) 3 weeks ago. Have lost 25lbs (11.3kg) since doing the Newcastle/DiRECT diet. But around the time of diagnosis my feet and and sometimes my hands have been burning, tingling, numb. Feel like I check the boxes for DPN with symptoms and as a diabetic, high triglycerides, smoker, drinker, etc. My doctor and stepdad (also a MD) think it’s very unlikely and that DPN comes from years of uncontrolled diabetes. I just had my blood checked for deficiencies today and have a nerve conduction test scheduled in a few weeks. Any experience with this? Any thoughts or remedies?
I had quite severe neuropathy at 36 years old, which was how my pre-diabetes was discovered. My doctor at the time thought my triglycerides and hyperlipidemia were more of a factor than diabetes and put me on Rosuvastatin but no diabetes medication. Along with this, I went on a fairly severe very low-carb, low calorie diet. I also cut out all alcohol after having been quite a heavy drinker. After a few months my numbers were normal enough the doctor agreed to take me of Rosuvastatin and do it by diet. Gradually, my neuropathy faded to the point I didn't think about it, and later it had gone altogether.
The main point being that it does seem plausible that neuropathy can exist in people with pre-diabetes, or recently acquired diabetes: smoking could also be a factor. It was reversible in my case though: I needed to get my blood glucose, triglycerides and weight down to normal levels, but once that was done, the neuropathy went away. There are supplements that are supposed to be good as well, but I didn't use them. Good luck with it!

Last edited:
Reactions: LionChild

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If my experience is any guide, yes. I have had neuropathy since about 2015 (tingling/ burning feet) with BG readings in the pre-diabetes range and wasn't diagnosed officially until December 2019. Symptoms have persisted (much reduced) even with my BG at low-normal levels. The "diagnosis at BG 48" is no use to those of us who have diabetes symptoms at much lower BG levels. According to Bilous' Handbook of Diabetes 48 was chosen (by the medics) only comparatively recently on the basis that retinopathy is relatively uncommon beneath that figure. Helpful to the doctor perhaps but not at all helpful to the patient.

Reactions: Slambo

Slambo

I had quite severe neuropathy at 36 years old, which was how my pre-diabetes was discovered. My doctor at the time thought my triglycerides and hyperlipidemia were more of a factor than diabetes and put me on Rosuvastatin but no diabetes medication. Along with this, I went on a fairly severe very low-carb, low calorie diet. I also cut out all alcohol after having been quite a heavy drinker. After a few months my numbers were normal enough the doctor agreed to take me of Rosuvastatin and do it by diet. Gradually, my neuropathy faded to the point I didn't think about it, and later it had gone altogether.
The main point being that it does seem plausible that neuropathy can exist in people with pre-diabetes, or recently acquired diabetes: smoking could also be a factor. It was reversible in my case though: I needed to get my blood glucose, triglycerides and weight down to normal levels, but once that was done, the neuropathy went away. There are supplements that are supposed to be good as well, but I didn't use them. Good luck with it!
This brings me hope, thanks for sharing. For some reason my triglycerides went from the low 200s to the high 600s in the last 9 months. I think it was due in part to the beta blocker I was on. How long has your neuropathy been gone?

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Although neuropathy is a common complication of diabetes it's not exclusive to people with diabetes. So if someone without diabetes can suffer with neuropathy surely anyone can. All we can do is try to be as well controlled as possible and hope that we can avoid the complications or at least make them less severe

Reactions: SuNuman

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky

I have had similar experience of burning, tingling and numbness some time ago. That has now gone away, and the problem that I now have is cramp and lower leg pain when I have been in bed for a few hours.... I do not know whether this is neuropathy as I too have been told it takes years to develop. So, presently the jury is out! My doctor, as I have posted elsewhere simply advises stretching exercises for my present symptoms, and drinking tonic water.....I seem to often have problems of one kind or another with my legs! But this does not presently have any bad effects regarding walking. The problems seem to happen only when my legs are horizontal. Maybe then, I should sleep standing up?!

Buster_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I first noticed neuropathy symptoms in my feet around the time I was diagnosed (type 2). Initially it was just occasional pins and needles and slight numbness but over the following 12 months, during which time I was (foolishly) ignoring my diabetes, it progressed to the point where it became quite painful and really very unpleasant. My BG levels through that period would have been very high, probably averaging at least mid-teens and spiking higher, and it seems likely that contributed to the fast progression.

My BG levels are now in the normal, healthy range and the neuropathy symptoms are slowly improving. I'm hoping over time they'll resolve entirely.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Many people will have had diabetes for along while before diagnoses so as it was with me when diagnosed I already had kidney damage and back ground retinopathy also neuropathy since I have reduced blood sugar levels to normal the retinopathy has gone but I still have neuropathy.