Plasma21

Hi all, i have just joined this brilliant forum and would like to ask a question, i have just been through heart failure which is now corrected with medication thankfully, i have a question about my Element infopia blood testing as i would like to seek an opinion, i also had problems with my kidneys and my meds for type 2 diabetes stopped until the results came through, now for the past 6 to 9 months my readings on my machine are between 22 and 30+ and hi, and i have now passed into type 1 diabetes :-( i,ve changed my diet and cut out a lot of sweet stuff for about a year now but this morning i took a reading and its 30. i am now awaiting for the diabetic nurse / team to get back in touch with me my question is how serious are my readings? all answers gratefully appreciated.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Hi all, i have just joined this brilliant forum and would like to ask a question, i have just been through heart failure which is now corrected with medication thankfully, i have a question about my Element infopia blood testing as i would like to seek an opinion, i also had problems with my kidneys and my meds for type 2 diabetes stopped until the results came through, now for the past 6 to 9 months my readings on my machine are between 22 and 30+ and hi, and i have now passed into type 1 diabetes :-( i,ve changed my diet and cut out a lot of sweet stuff for about a year now but this morning i took a reading and its 30. i am now awaiting for the diabetic nurse / team to get back in touch with me my question is how serious are my readings? all answers gratefully appreciated.
Make sure you've washed your hands before taking your blood sugar, but you should phone 111 straight away with those readings and not wait for your nurse or diabetes team memeber to get back to you. You could go to A&E also. Do you have a blood ketone metre to check your ketones? Are you feeling unwell?

Plasma21

Make sure you've washed your hands before taking your blood sugar, but you should phone 111 straight away with those readings and not wait for your nurse or diabetes team memeber to get back to you. You could go to A&E also. Do you have a blood ketone metre to check your ketones? Are you feeling unwell?

Hi ert, thank you for the quick reply much appreciated, i always wash my hands prior to jabbing myself, they took me off metformin, and 1 or 2 other tablets, the diabetes team could not do anything as they put until the results of my kidneys were known which was last week where there is a good improvement of them, when i took my reading last night it said HI on the meter so i took it again this morning and it was 30 so when the diabetes team rang this morning to confirm my phone appointment the nurse i was booked to see was having tech problems with her pc, so i mentioned the readings to this lady and she put me through to another diabetic nurse and i explained to her about my readings and she,s booked me in for another telephone appointment tomorrow. The answer to your questions are what is a ketone meter? sorry but i have no idea, and yeah i feel ok except pretty much tired but use dextrols to boost my energy. Once again thank you for the quick reply. p21

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
and i have now passed into type 1 diabetes

Hi, just a quick question, have you been re-diagnosed as Type 1 instead of Type2 - normally from the results of specific blood test (Type 2 does not turn into Type 1 but mis-diagnosis can happen)
And are you now on insulin?

Either way if you start feeling nauseous and have reading that high, then 111 or A&E is the place to go

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi ert, thank you for the quick reply much appreciated, i always wash my hands prior to jabbing myself, they took me off metformin, and 1 or 2 other tablets, the diabetes team could not do anything as they put until the results of my kidneys were known which was last week where there is a good improvement of them, when i took my reading last night it said HI on the meter so i took it again this morning and it was 30 so when the diabetes team rang this morning to confirm my phone appointment the nurse i was booked to see was having tech problems with her pc, so i mentioned the readings to this lady and she put me through to another diabetic nurse and i explained to her about my readings and she,s booked me in for another telephone appointment tomorrow. The answer to your questions are what is a ketone meter? sorry but i have no idea, and yeah i feel ok except pretty much tired but use dextrols to boost my energy. Once again thank you for the quick reply. p21
If you're using dextro to boost energy, it's driving your blood sugars up to insane amounts. You already have too much glucose in your blood, don't put even more in unless you are having a hypo!!!

Plasma21

Hi, just a quick question, have you been re-diagnosed as Type 1 instead of Type2 - normally from the results of specific blood test (Type 2 does not turn into Type 1 but mis-diagnosis can happen)
And are you now on insulin?

Either way if you start feeling nauseous and have reading that high, then 111 or A&E is the place to go

Hi Rokaab, thank you for the reply, this has all come about while i had heart failure and kidney disease, they had to stop my type 2 meds because they thought it would interfere with meds for my kidneys (which they let it play out after having various scans on my kidneys, it was about then i seen my sugars rise from 12.0 to 22+ hi, and just now 31.01, hopefully when the diabetic nurse rings tomorrow i can go forward with some type of suggestions and medication, just for reference my heart failure is now back to normal tablet controlled and my kidneys are doing well, the only thing that is not well are my readings, on 1 of my appointment letters it states i am now type 1 diabetic awhile back they told me i was heading to type 1 and i have since overhauled my diet but to no avail, for the first time ever a few weeks back i started shaking uncontrollably , i wasn't cold i just shook very bad it lasted about 10 mins. Much appreciated to all who replied to me. p21

Plasma21

Hi JoKalsbeek, thank you for the reply, i only ever take them if i am feeling really tired and drained of energy this year maybe 4 or 5 times thats it i dont use them unless i really feel my energy is totally drained and they do work most of the time. Much appreciated p21

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi JoKalsbeek, thank you for the reply, i only ever take them if i am feeling really tired and drained of energy this year maybe 4 or 5 times thats it i dont use them unless i really feel my energy is totally drained and they do work most of the time. Much appreciated p21

You really can't take pure dextrose as a diabetic unless you are suffering from low sugar - which you aren't.

I'm not sure why they have recategorised you as a type 1, but perhaps your body has stopped making insulin. If it has then you need to inject insulin otherwise your body cannot process sugars and carbohydrates correctly. With blood sugars at those levels you should really be an emergency visit with the diabetic team. Do you have a contact at your GP surgery? They will be able to measure your ketones and determine whether you need to go to hospital

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

If you're fatigued, it is likely because you've been running high for so long. You're making things a lot worse if you're high and taking dextrose. I don't know what's going on with your diabetes, whether you're a type one or two (T2 doesn't progress to T1, they're completely different conditions. Misdiagnoses do happen though). But if you are indeed a T1 and you were misdiagnosed as a T2 for a long time, you really do need to know this: If you're already really high, adding in extra dextro can put you in hospital with DKA that much faster. Or in a coffin. So please do be careful.