Why worry about a splash of milk in tea/coffee ???

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was perusing the nutritional info on the milk carton in our office.
So 4.7g of carbs per 100ml, lets say 5g for round figures.

nutrition_en.8.full.jpg

My rabbit hole went deeper & I swept Google trying to find what the normal amount used is.
The great people at the Independent did the work for me, a splash is defined as 5ml
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...on-cup-average-5ml-poll-results-a8314676.html

So if 100ml provides 5g of carbs then 5ml would provide 5/20 = 0.25g of carbs.

So you put down your blobs of butter you bulletproof aficionados, put away your fresh cream you flash spenders.
The old white gold is still the way to go.

Reactions: Capslock and EllieM

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

nutrition_en.8.full.jpg

My rabbit hole went deeper & I swept Google trying to find what the normal amount used is.
The great people at the Independent did the work for me, a splash is defined as 5ml
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...on-cup-average-5ml-poll-results-a8314676.html

So you put down your blobs of butter you bulletproof aficionados, put away your fresh cream you flash spenders.
So we're talking about 1 tsp per "cup." Just how small are the cups, who uses cups anymore, and who the hell wants to drink tea with just that amount except in dire emergencies like, I dunno, no milk in shops?

M

Member496333

Never really been overly bothered about milk. Don’t recall especially avoiding it, but if I was going to drink any it would definitely be whole fat just because why not. I use double cream in coffee because coffee and milk tastes like dirty puddle water in comparison :meh:

Reactions: Allexandro

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have 30mls milk in my mug of tea. That's OK when I am simply low carbing but when I am doing keto every gram counts. 4 mugs tea would be 6g and out of a 'budget' of 25g that's too much to 'waste'.

Reactions: EllieM

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

nutrition_en.8.full.jpg

Cream is tastier.... But yeah, I'm not bothered about this amount either, never was. It's next to nothing.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Black tea, no sugar, no milk, strong as possible.

For some reason, family don't mind making a mug for me.

One of the reasons is taste. The taste is important to me and I can diversify into different teas.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Black tea, no sugar, no milk, strong as possible.

For some reason, family don't mind making a mug for me.

One of the reasons is taste. The taste is important to me and I can diversify into different teas.
Wouldn't fancy basic builders sans something mylky but Sencha or most here are fine - not Earl Grey. I can't hack black coffee so 15 mls cream per 750 mls mug once a day. Lots of similar sized mugs of Assam with h/m almond milk daily - I guess 30 mls of "coloured water" per mug. Grotesque in coffee.

Last edited:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Can't stand coffee in any form!

I enjoy breakfast tea from Twinnings.
Also Yorkshire tea.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect people who add cream to coffee don't really like the taste of coffee, an Italian would be horrified at the very idea. However a splash of milk in a cup of ground coffee doesn't distort the flavour and removes any bitterness, well worth the 2g or so of carbs.

Reactions: KidDougi and zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect people who add cream to coffee don't really like the taste of coffee, an Italian would be horrified at the very idea. However a splash of milk in a cup of ground coffee doesn't distort the flavour and removes any bitterness, well worth the 2g or so of carbs.
You are correct in my case. :) I view coffee with cream as a snack replacement if I am hungry. :)
Edit: And I'm not Italian ;)

Reactions: KidDougi

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

I add cream to coffee in the morning for the fat, and to go with the butter.

However I like coffee and normally drink it black; however not very often or I can't get to sleep at night.
Usually once a week in the middle of the bike ride at the coffee stop.

I have an Aero Press which makes outstanding fresh coffee but it is neglected because of the one coffee a day routine, with the morning wakener using instant.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

nutrition_en.8.full.jpg

But my measured 10ml of double cream is 0.16g of carbs and tastes far better than a "dash" hahaha

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
who the hell wants to drink tea with just that amount except in dire emergencies like, I dunno, no milk in shops?
I drink tea and coffee black, no milk, or creamer, or cream so I do not have the worry of the shops running out of nutrient-rich liquid produced by the mammary glands of mammals. :meh:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love full fat milk in my tea. Its one of my daily sources of protein, fats and vitamins. Its part of my diet, not an optional extra.

Reactions: Daphne917

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

You are absolutely right, I don't like the taste of coffee but I love espresso (!)...wait for it...with a generous top up of hot cream! In Italy 2 years ago and they served it just as I wanted it, with a jug of hot cream!!!! I bet they thought what a heathen.

Reactions: Speedbird

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Coffee with cream is a comfort food for me, but not needed for a long time now. It always reminded me of coffee made with all milk - no water. That was what I used to drink when needing something comforting. I also occasionally drink black coffee if I am out somewhere, but I stopped drinking caffeine several years ago. So now it is decaffinated Yorkshire Tea all the way, with skimmed milk, and when out I usually have decaffinated black coffee. My mugs of tea throughout the day are non-negotiable, and there is nothing like Yorkshire Tea, even though I am a Lancashire Lass.

No worries about the milk.

Reactions: KK123

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
I only drink almond milk, no sugars no carbs, can’t stand the taste of full fat milk anymore

macabee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
People who think Diabetes is 'nothing much to worry about'
I have not had milk in tea or coffee for many, many years, the reason being without milk, tea and coffee taste as they should taste, milk just adulterates the beverage

Deediabetic

You are absolutely right, I don't like the taste of coffee but I love espresso (!)...wait for it...with a generous top up of hot cream! In Italy 2 years ago and they served it just as I wanted it, with a jug of hot cream!!!! I bet they thought what a heathen.

Lol... years ago they would have been horrified but now they've become more used to and have opened themselves up to other cultures food and ways. Well in the big cities at least or to more cosmopolitan Italians anyway.

My family come from a small town down in the south (the sticks!) and the food rules they spout as gospel are pretty funny to me. Beer is only for pizza. Milky coffee like a cappuccino are for mornings only and not for after a meal. If you have fried battered fish you can't eat fried chips with it etc. They would be horrified if they came here and saw what we do with food and I honestly don't think they've ever eaten food that is from another culture in their life because they aren't open to it!

Having said that in Sicily they are known for having a coffee granita in the morning served with whipped cream on top and a brioche bun that you break up and dip into the coffee and cream. So cream and coffee aren't too far a stretch but don't you dare order a beer with your plate of pasta because beer is only for pizza! Well if your here and type 2, you won't have to worry because traditional pizza or pasta as it is off of your safe food list and low carb beer isn't as easy to find there anyway! Enjoy the vino instead!

Reactions: ianpspurs