Natural ways to improve insulin sensitivity

Robert Henderson

Hello everyone,
The way body cells react to insulin is insulin sensitivity. And the higher the insulin sensitivity, the better and stronger the health. Diet changes, regular exercise, and healthy sleep time will undoubtedly improve insulin sensitivity.
But, what other natural ways to improve insulin sensitivity do you know?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The opposite of insulin sensitivity is insulin resistance so avoiding anything that increases insulin resistance should help insensitivity.
So a good night's sleep, keeping healthy, exercise, minimising stress, ...

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone,
The way body cells react to insulin is insulin sensitivity. And the higher the insulin sensitivity, the better and stronger the health. Diet changes, regular exercise, and healthy sleep time will undoubtedly improve insulin sensitivity.
Changing what I eat is a natural way I have improved things.

Reactions: Oldvatr

andromache

Hello everyone,
Exercise, exercise and exercise. Those skeletal muscles are definitely your friend.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Weight loss worked for me.
Exercise was great to reduce spikes after carby meals.

I actually had insomnia during my weight loss phase but it never affected my FBG so no sure about the sleep advice.

Reactions: DEBBIESCOTT

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Weight loss worked for me.
Exercise was great to reduce spikes after carby meals.

I actually had insomnia during my weight loss phase but it never affected my FBG so no sure about the sleep advice.
If the sleep loss is associated with any stress then that can affect glucose regulation. Anything that triggers adrenaline will affect it. Some forms of exerxise can do this too, but will improve muscle mass in the log run.

Reactions: Robert Henderson

Robert Henderson

The opposite of insulin sensitivity is insulin resistance so avoiding anything that increases insulin resistance should help insensitivity.
So a good night's sleep, keeping healthy, exercise, minimising stress, ...
Yes, minimizing stress is very important because of the increased hormones that are inevitably released during stress and lead to higher sugar levels. Some people eat their feelings, and this also leads to uncontrollable sugar rises.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And if you aren't able to take a lot of exercise, or only gentle exercise, a walk somewhere nice e.g. the woods and fields or the beach is very mood-enhancing and still does a surprising amount of good to your health.

Robert Henderson

And if you aren't able to take a lot of exercise, or only gentle exercise, a walk somewhere nice e.g. the woods and fields or the beach is very mood-enhancing and still does a surprising amount of good to your health.
Yes, when I can't do exercises, I just go for a walk. I really like to walk, especially near the sea. This way I forget about all existing problems and enjoy the moment.

Reactions: andromache

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Especially as exercise can reduce stress :)
I stick my headphones on and cycle away either on the stationary bike or run on a treadmill. I feel so much better afterwards.

Reactions: Shahnaz2357