Bailey's Irish cream ..how to do it

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Happy 2022 everyone !!
On a light note .....i haven't had a Bailey's for years I'm sure it's got sugar aplenty ...how do I manage one ? How do you manage one ? Neck it and hope the sugar rush doesn't last or a little insulin ? I've got one with my name on it after dinner today
Cheers

Mungobean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m new to all this, so no expert, but I think I’d treat it in the same way as any other meal and work out the carne and take some insulin beforehand. (Although the more correct answer is maybe not to have the drink, but surely a little of what fancy…….)

Reactions: Lainie71

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Happy 2022 everyone !!
On a light note .....i haven't had a Bailey's for years I'm sure it's got sugar aplenty ...how do I manage one ? How do you manage one ? Neck it and hope the sugar rush doesn't last or a little insulin ? I've got one with my name on it after dinner today
Cheers
I’d expect it would need a bit of insulin but expect it to be slow acting due to the cream so maybe you could neck it bolus-less and learn the effects for next time.
Definitely sounds like something you’ll need a few trials ;)

thewestiesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@annliggins how did you go on with your Baileys?

I'm a Baileys lover and over Christmas I've had the odd one or two but in a shot glass. I didn't take insulin for it because I thought you should never have insulin for alcohol.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I didn't take insulin for it because I thought you should never have insulin for alcohol.

I thought that depended on how carby the alcohol was? Pims and lemonade or plain old beer can add up on the carbs... But I agree I don't count my normal drinks of dry white or red wine...

thewestiesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought that depended on how carby the alcohol was? Pims and lemonade or plain old beer can add up on the carbs... But I agree I don't count my normal drinks of dry white or red wine...

I've no idea about that. Hopefully someone else will reply soon who might know.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And a Happy New Year to you too @annliggins Hope all went well! Just had my first Baileys in 8 years. It was absolutely delicious. I didn’t think about it or agonise over it, just downed it and enjoyed it, like most of the population do. Along with roast potatoes, parsnips, and also for the first time in 8 years years a piece of cheesecake. Which was also delicious. I’ve done my best with bolus. If it doesn’t work my little Libre friend will buzz overnight telling me to either down Jelly babies or inject insulin. Just occasionally throwing caution to the wind is a bit of a relief, though if this machine keeps buzzing all night, I may regret it.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Happy 2022 everyone !!
Cheers

As others have said, try it and see..which by now hopefully you have! I enjoy it sometimes too but take no bolus for it and it has no effect whatsoever on my glucose levels. If it did then I would take a unit of insulin for it without any qualms whatsoever.

Mungobean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Whilst on the subject of Baileys - Chocolate Baileys………..utterly heavenly, if you haven’t tried it

Reactions: JMK1954

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@annliggins how did you go on with your Baileys?

I'm a Baileys lover and over Christmas I've had the odd one or two but in a shot glass. I didn't take insulin for it because I thought you should never have insulin for alcohol.
I had a nice glass full no insulin just watched over it ....pizza effect for me afraid ..13 overnight ahh well ....boy was it worth it

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As others have said, try it and see..which by now hopefully you have! I enjoy it sometimes too but take no bolus for it and it has no effect whatsoever on my glucose levels. If it did then I would take a unit of insulin for it without any qualms whatsoever.
It was SOON worth the high 13