Tuna in Brine Vs Oil

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Why unfortunately? I would have thought that tuna, in any form, was fine for T2s. (And T1s, I love my tuna :)).
Perhaps the sardines were in tomato sauce? I live off tuna and any forms of fish. I discovered that there was no difference in taste with the sardines minus the tomato sauce - tasted exactly the same in olive/oil. Amazing this taste change thing for me.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately because I'm trying to watch everything I eat - and now may be reading too much into everything.

A move in the right direction is better than nothing, despite it's so called pitfalls.
Tuna in olive oil is perfect for a t2 diabetic. What do you see as the problem? Healthy fats are good for us and our metabolism.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like Brisling and Sild fish in tins too. I prefer my mackerel from the chill cabinet though, Salmon is the best in my view. Our kitten agrees with me there. I also eat kippers and Basa fish or curried haddock in a kedgeree. I used to love rainbow trout, but nowadays the bones defeat me.

Reactions: Dave Russell

Dave Russell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Broccoli, Cauliflower and Cabbage
I'm puzzled too, a tin of sardines or tuna sounds like a meal perfectly suited to go with diabetes!

I didn't mean to loose the focus of my original question. These are certainly good choices and exactly the choice I'm determined to make. However, to steal the phrase, the nutritional thingy, is a nightmare.

There appeared to be a contradiction or I'd missed something in the blog I'd read. On the one hand, on a low-carb diet the advice is that if you "ditch the carbs, you should up another macro-nutrient to compensate." On the other hand, the good fats are being lost through draining the oils, but oil was recommended over brine. I was equally questioning whether I was missing something by using tuna in brine instead of oil and is there an important factor for having oil or avoiding brine.

What I omitted (for simplicity) was that whilst my preference would be to keep at least most of the oils (though there is the question about the type of oils and, as others have mentioned, the quality of the oil), draining the tuna depends on the preparation and desired outcome/consistency of the meal. Further to this the preference of other whom you are sharing the meal with; my wife does like the water/oils and is only coming over to the idea of trying different fish dishes.

Apologises for the confusion

Last edited:

Dave Russell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Broccoli, Cauliflower and Cabbage
I like Brisling and Sild fish in tins too. I prefer my mackerel from the chill cabinet though, Salmon is the best in my view. Our kitten agrees with me there. I also eat kippers and Basa fish or curried haddock in a kedgeree. I used to love rainbow trout, but nowadays the bones defeat me.

My wife would do her nut. She hates fish, or at least hates most fish. She has realised salmon and tuna are fine.

I used to hate fish with a passion, until I went sailing and had line caught fresh fish. I mean we'd drag it onto the boat, kill it (humanely, I might add) and cook and eat it there and then.

I recommend anyone who dislikes fish (especially diabetics) to try proper fresh fish like this. We'll get it "caught same day" fresh.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't mean to loose the focus of my original question. These are certainly good choices and exactly the choice I'm determined to make. However, to steal the phrase, the nutritional thingy, is a nightmare.

There appeared to be a contradiction or I'd missed something in the blog I'd read. On the one hand, on a low-carb diet the advice is that if you "ditch the carbs, you should up another macro-nutrient to compensate." On the other hand, the good fats are being lost through draining the oils, but oil was recommended over brine. I was equally questioning whether I was missing something by using tuna in brine instead of oil and is there an important factor for having oil or avoiding brine.

What I omitted (for simplicity) was that whilst my preference would be to keep at least most of the oils (though there is the question about the type of oils and, as others have mentioned, the quality of the oil), draining the tuna depends on the preparation and desired outcome/consistency of the meal. Further to this the preference of other whom you are sharing the meal with; my wife does like the water/oils and is only coming over to the idea of trying different fish dishes.

You are overthinking it. If you used to eat lots of carbs then eating less will be a benefit. Don't let perfection be the enemy of good. The reason you need to increase fat and protein if you cut down on carbs is simply because otherwise you would be hungry. I often have tins of tuna and I prefer the ones in sunflower oil. Omega 6 is in most fats and is not poisonous, just drain the tin well and enjoy.

Reactions: Dave Russell

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold

I find having a tin or three of sardines a handy thing. I go through phases of enjoyment with them. I get the spring water / brine or olive oil. Nothing I’ve read other than the quality of the oil appears from a nutritional pint of view to make a difference to that selection. So it makes choice easier. From a taste point of view I like to add truffle oil. Which from my point of view elevates the plate of food to something special

Reactions: lucylocket61