Tuna in Brine Vs Oil

Dave Russell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Broccoli, Cauliflower and Cabbage
I read the blog The Nutritional Thingy by JoKalsbeek. I think it is very good. I'm interested in a low card diet so it was good to read. It states that "if you ditch the carbs, you should up another macro-nutrient to compensate" (Fats and/or protein) (I didn't know this). Further, I read "Once you’ve worked out how much you can eat, counting your macros could be just what you need to get the results you want." (Why counting the macros is the secret to fitness success).

One part of it states as a meal idea "Leafy green salad with a can of tuna (oil, not brine!),". We had this for tea yesterday (New Years Day - well we didn't have much in, as we forgot to panic buy). Although we only had Tuna in Brine, nonetheless my Blood Glucose readings were great afterwards; hardly changed.

However, I have a question about why it says, "oil, not brine.". Is this diabetic specific? should I be more aware of avoiding brine or having oil? What's the evidence and consensus?

Firstly, I think we all know that dietary advice is a minefield - I think we'd all agree fresh tuna is going to be more beneficial than tinned. We're individuals and our diet and lifestyles, and other conditions that come with diabetes are very different (clinical profiles, comorbidities and complications of type 2 diabetes). An important reason we should pay more attention to the assigned healthcare professional team - or at least get their opinion. Unfortunately, I'm newly diagnosed and I'm awaiting an appointment with a nutritionist.

So I found this in the forum (a very old thread), saying that "tuna is cooked before it’s canned and most of the oil is lost during this process... it doesn't count as oily fish" (Tinned Tuna). Although the link they provided is no longer active.

I've read that, in any case, spring water seems the best choice as opposed to oil or brine. A few articles I've read advise that oil drains the oil (what oils are left, presumably) from the fish. E.g. "When you drain oil from oil-packed tuna, some of the omega-3s in the fish go with it. But water and oil don't mix, so when you drain the liquid from water-packed tuna, it does not reduce the omega-3." (Tuna in Oil Vs Water). If that is the case, would brine also be a better choice than oil?

On the other hand, there is a debate about sodium (somewhat obviously) that exists in the brine should be avoided (Should you cut down salt?). Among a few other sources (Is Sunflower Oil Healthy? - that concludes, that this depends "fatty acid composition, how it was processed and stored and the use to which it is put to use." This article then concludes, "salt should be considered the antidote to sugar as it seems to reduce sugar cravings and helps to fix insulin resistance."

Last edited:
Reactions: Paulwgun

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
However, I have a question about why it says, "oil, not brine.". Is this diabetic specific? Or should I be more aware of avoiding brine? What's the evidence and consensus?
I'm pretty sure the advice wasn't because of all your interesting articles, but simply aimed at newly diagnosed diabetics who struggle to internalise that fat is good and are still used to automatically choosing the lower fat options of foods.
So the message wasn't that brine is bad, but simply that oil is good. :)
Tuna in oil also tastes better than tuna in brine if you ask me, which is another good reason!
"if you ditch the carbs, you should up another macro-nutrient to compensate" (Fats and/or protein) (I didn't know this)
If you would eat exactly the same but only leave out the carby parts, you'd not get enough calories. That's why you need to up other nutrients.
A meal of pasta with tuna in brine and spinach is a filling meal, but leave out the pasta and it's very low calorie. Using the oily tuna makes up for part of this, and then think of some more yummy things to add, like nuts and onion, and you'll have a meal just as filling but without the carbs. :hungry:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have tuna in spring water, drain it well, and add olive oil to increase my healthy fat intake. By reducing my carbs I need to proportionally increase my fats and proteins. This is an easy and tasty way for me to do it.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Personally I'm a bit doubtful over the quality of the oil used.
Cynically, it will be the cheapest/lowest specification.

For me, tuna in spring water then mix in some good mayonnaise such as Hellman's which ups the fat and makes it generally nice.
[Noting that I don't have any way to compare the quality of the oil used in canning compared to mayo.]

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
However, I have a question about why it says, "oil, not brine.". Is this diabetic specific? should I be more aware of avoiding brine or having oil? What's the evidence and consensus?

I’d hazard a guess it’s to up the fat content. Personally I don’t agree as most canned tuna in oil is seed oil (sunflower or similar), so I’d prefer brine over oil unless you find canned tuna in extra virgin olive oil.

Don’t want to derail so here’s a link on the topic of seed oils.

Reactions: MrsA2

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
An important reason we should pay more attention to the assigned healthcare professional team - or at least get their opinion.

I'd respectfully disagree.. depending on the quality of your "assigned healthcare professional team" the advice you get could be very good or very bad.

It would be a complete lottery which you get.

I'd far rather follow the advice from someone who's results are clear and has got to where I would like to be.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
so I’d prefer brine over oil unless you find canned tuna in extra virgin olive oil.
Interesting difference between our countries. Supermarkets in my (and JoKalsbeeks) country have different brands of tuna, all brands provide the choice between water, sunflower oil or olive oil, so trouble finding it isn't likely to have been a consideration when the Nutritional Thingy was written.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Although the senior GP who gave me the diagnosis was fine about me trying low carb I never saw him again.
And my healthcare team don't appear to know about low carb for diabetes and have little nutritional knowledge.
The NHS nutritionist told me to give up low carb and pushed me to the so-called Eatwell plate - which is terrible for T2s. I declined a second appointment with her.
I already knew she was wrong so I read around the fora and do my own research.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I can quite happily open a tin of tuna in olive oil, or red salmon as it comes in the tin and literally eat from the tin. I must be the only one in my family that can do that :)

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy tuna that has been drained & the one that had oil. In fact, I had it for dinner tonight, weirdly, I find it less dry & bitty to eat than if had been in brine or spring water.

Dave Russell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
most canned tuna in oil is seed oil (sunflower or similar)

I was finding many bits of similar information about the oils used (may be a regional thing, as suggested above), as well as the effects that it drained the nutrients.

Reactions: Goonergal

Dave Russell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I can quite happily open a tin of tuna in olive oil, or red salmon as it comes in the tin and literally eat from the tin. I must be the only one in my family that can do that :)

I can do this and with sardines too. Delicious!' Unfortunately, m now trying to do the right thing to hopefully reverse the diabetes. And find something that suits both of us (my wife and I). My wife was always the healthier one, so she right behind me.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I can do this and with sardines too. Delicious!' Unfortunately, m now trying to do the right thing to hopefully reverse the diabetes.

Why unfortunately? I would have thought that tuna, in any form, was fine for T2s. (And T1s, I love my tuna :)).

Reactions: Dave Russell

Dave Russell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Why unfortunately? I would have thought that tuna, in any form, was fine for T2s. (And T1s, I love my tuna :)).

Unfortunately because I'm trying to watch everything I eat - and now may be reading too much into everything.

A move in the right direction is better than nothing, despite it's so called pitfalls.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I can do this and with sardines too. Delicious!' Unfortunately, m now trying to do the right thing to hopefully reverse the diabetes. And find something that suits both of us (my wife and I). My wife was always the healthier one, so she right behind me.
I'm puzzled too, a tin of sardines or tuna sounds like a meal perfectly suited to go with diabetes!

Reactions: Dave Russell