How do I select a blood sugar monitor?

clare56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd like to be able to monitor my blood sugar using a continuous monitor like the FreeStyle Libre system, but my phone is not up to date enough for the app. I was diagnosed with diabetes 2 about six years ago, but mangaged to keep it in remission until recently. I have been testing by pricking my fingers and using the nexus strips and monitor and have sore fingers! I'm really keen to understand what affects my blood sugar so I can adjust my eating / drinking / exercise habits accordingly. Since new year I've been on a very low carb diet, but still find I have blood sugar spikes at times and can't see a reason why. Any advice really appreciated!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
FreeStyle Libre system, but my phone is not up to date enough for the app.
Do you use iPhone? It works fine on older models running Android, what about getting a cheap second hand phone? Or you can buy the reader to go with it.
Other CGM's, like Dexcom are much more expensive than buying a cheap phone.

clare56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you use iPhone? It works fine on older models running Android, what about getting a cheap second hand phone? Or you can buy the reader to go with it.
I have an iPhone
I have an iphone 6. I do have an old samsung, so I'll see if I can get that working. Thanks!

Reactions: Antje77