Early morning blood sugar spike?

AHG123

I am trying to discover if I have diabetes, pre diabetes or some kind of glucose intolerance.
My sleeping has been increasingly disturbed by frontal headache, anxiety, heart skipping beats and feeling hot. This happens about 5am when I have already been to wee twice.
I am keeping a food diary and it seems if I eat cake/chocolate then these symptoms will be worse. This has been an increasing problem over the last few months.
It’s so difficult to have a proper talk to a doctor. I explained all this over the phone but finished up with pills for an overactive bladder which I will try for a couple of weeks.
I am not overweight and have plenty exercise walking the dog. I eat well but do have a sweet tooth.
I don’t have symptoms during the day except a headache and palpitations which often start in the evening.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That is what I remember from the days when my GPs would push me to eat low fat and high carb.
If it is an inability to deal with the amount of carbohydrate you are eating which is the problem, by reducing it down you might find that you lose the unwanted symptoms - though then your GP might assume that the tablets did the job, so it is a bit of a catch 22.
For all the decades before diagnosis, when I could escape from the notice of my GP and go back to Atkins I felt so much better

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Your initial question is normal because of a function of the body called dawn phenomenon, this is your liver giving you a morning boost of glucose to help you start the day.
I am trying to discover if I have diabetes, pre diabetes or some kind of glucose intolerance.
My sleeping has been increasingly disturbed by frontal headache, anxiety, heart skipping beats and feeling hot. This happens about 5am when I have already been to wee twice.
I am keeping a food diary and it seems if I eat cake/chocolate then these symptoms will be worse. This has been an increasing problem over the last few months.
It’s so difficult to have a proper talk to a doctor. I explained all this over the phone but finished up with pills for an overactive bladder which I will try for a couple of weeks.
I am not overweight and have plenty exercise walking the dog. I eat well but do have a sweet tooth.
I don’t have symptoms during the day except a headache and palpitations which often start in the evening.

A couple of questions if you don't mind?
Do you test at any other time?
The best time is perhaps, to see if you are above normal, is about half an hour after waking before you eat and drink, then test two hours after!
the usual method of defining abnormal glycaemia is an hba1c test within a full blood panel, that is If you can get your doctors to agree.
Are you taking any other meds for other conditions?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

Have you done any blood tests with a glucometer? With the best will in the world, without knowing whether your blood sugars are abnormal it's very hard to comment on whether you might have diabetes Have you ever had an hba1c test done by your doctor, maybe as part of a general health check?

(Disclaimer: plus we are not allowed to diagnose on the forums anyway.)

And welcome to the forums.

AHG123

Your initial question is normal because of a function of the body called dawn phenomenon, this is your liver giving you a morning boost of glucose to help you start the day.

A couple of questions if you don't mind?
Do you test at any other time?
The best time is perhaps, to see if you are above normal, is about half an hour after waking before you eat and drink, then test two hours after!
the usual method of defining abnormal glycaemia is an hba1c test within a full blood panel, that is If you can get your doctors to agree.
Are you taking any other meds for other conditions?
Thanks you for your replies.
I have HRT patches to stave off osteoporosis and Lansoprazole for Gastric Reflux. Recently given Oxybutin to calm bladder.
Had blood test in January HbA1c level 38.