Type 2s: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning? (very low chat level)

FingerTips

I am trying to avoid meds for type 2 diabetes. Although I had some warning a while back, it's only in the past week I've started self monitoring. A week ago my early morning, pre-food reading was a very uncomfortable 16.7. However, I am overweight and was eating a lot of the wrong stuff. I suspected my reading would be high because I've been getting up in the night a lot more to urinate, though I didn't feel unwell. Seeing it there in front of me should be the wake-up call I need. In the week since that test (which may have been skewed by an ice cream the previous day) I've started eating properly and am doing some stuff to start shifting my flab. There has been a downward trend in my morning tests with a couple of slight hiccups. This morning I hit single figures for the first time with an 8.9 (down from 10.1 the previous day).
I have decided to hold off from seeking metformin for the moment and will give myself three months to see where weight loss and better eating take me. I am a fair bit overweight and losing one third of my bodyweight would not be unreasonable, so there is plenty of scope for positive changes. However, obviously such weight loss will require rather longer than three months, but that will be plenty of time to see if I can sustain the downward trend in glucose levels.
Type 2 diabetes is rife in my family, but a doctor once told me that only type 1 is hereditary, so I assume that's the case. My mother had it, as did her brother, and both my siblings have it - one of them since she was about 40 (I'm 65 now). I come from a family that was prone to eating disorders and apparent addiction to sweet foods. I picked up some bad habits along the way as well.
Although I never saw the death certificate, I believe diabetes may have been a contributory factor in the death of my mother (she died age 50 when I was 18), but she had other stuff wrong with her too.
Anyway, I'm 65 and not too old to change lifelong habits. It starts here and it starts now.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am trying to avoid meds for type 2 diabetes. Although I had some warning a while back, it's only in the past week I've started self monitoring. A week ago my early morning, pre-food reading was a very uncomfortable 16.7. However, I am overweight and was eating a lot of the wrong stuff. I suspected my reading would be high because I've been getting up in the night a lot more to urinate, though I didn't feel unwell. Seeing it there in front of me should be the wake-up call I need. In the week since that test (which may have been skewed by an ice cream the previous day) I've started eating properly and am doing some stuff to start shifting my flab. There has been a downward trend in my morning tests with a couple of slight hiccups. This morning I hit single figures for the first time with an 8.9 (down from 10.1 the previous day).
I have decided to hold off from seeking metformin for the moment and will give myself three months to see where weight loss and better eating take me. I am a fair bit overweight and losing one third of my bodyweight would not be unreasonable, so there is plenty of scope for positive changes. However, obviously such weight loss will require rather longer than three months, but that will be plenty of time to see if I can sustain the downward trend in glucose levels.
Type 2 diabetes is rife in my family, but a doctor once told me that only type 1 is hereditary, so I assume that's the case. My mother had it, as did her brother, and both my siblings have it - one of them since she was about 40 (I'm 65 now). I come from a family that was prone to eating disorders and apparent addiction to sweet foods. I picked up some bad habits along the way as well.
Although I never saw the death certificate, I believe diabetes may have been a contributory factor in the death of my mother (she died age 50 when I was 18), but she had other stuff wrong with her too.
Anyway, I'm 65 and not too old to change lifelong habits. It starts here and it starts now.

This is a very low level chat thread, just for a quick record of Fasting Blood Sugars. If you need a question answered please feel free to write your own thread in an appropriate sub forum, you’ll get more advice and replies that way.

Reactions: Prem51