Eye screening results

Bensim204

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello I’m fairly new to the forums but I’m looking for some advice. So today I received my eye screening results and it says pre proliferative retinopathy is Present and I’m stressing out so much and have had multiple panic attacks. I’m just wondering does this mean if I start taking full control and get plenty of exercise it could help and prevent any further damage

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Hi Bensim. I had the same on my first ever retinopathy scan. However as my blood glucose normalised any signs disappeared and I have had clear scans for the past seven years. Please try not to worry (easy for me to say) as many people have reported similar experiences.

Reactions: charlo98

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forums. This must be a worrying time for you.

No-one on here can or should attempt to diagnose what you have. What we can do is tell you our own experiences and what happened to us.

For me, getting my blood glucose down via a very low carb "keto" lifestyle reduced all my symptoms. Although most went completely, I still have some. I didn't ever have any retinopathy. I allow myself around 20g carb/day. That worked and works for me. Others have found different regimes work better for them.

You don't say what type of diabetes you have - I'm assuming it's Type 2 - or what your last HbA1c level was. If you told us those, it would help people to respond better to you.

Best of luck. This forum is a great source of help and support.

Reactions: EllieM

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I have probably had 40 eye tests since diagnosis in 1975 and only once about 15 years ago did they say I had any sort of retinopathy but since then they have given me the all clear with no retinopathy detected so I wouldn't worry about it too much !

Last edited:

Bensim204

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have probably had 40 eye tests since diagnosis in 1975 and only once about 15 years ago did they say I had I had any sort of retinopathy but since then they have given me the all clear with no retinopathy detected so I wouldn't worry about it too much !
Okay thank you so much! The main thing I’ve been stressing about is the long term effects and that it was pre proliferative retinopathy, but from now I’m gonna work on getting more exercise daily and getting into a better eating routine and make sure to do plenty of sugar readings

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I would say just lead as healthy lifestyle as you can without being obsessive about it , you don't want it to take over your life , good luck !

Reactions: Nicki70

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many get the double whammy of T2 & BR on the first scan, caused by running high undiagnosed for years before symptoms made us go to the doctor.
I had BR picked up in one eye post diagnosis, the last 2 years came back all clear once I'd got my BGs in range.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Bensim204s profile shows them as only 18 so it may be T1 rather than T2, but we need Bensim204 to answer that really :)

Reactions: Antje77

Bensim204

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bensim204s profile shows them as only 18 so it may be T1 rather than T2, but we need Bensim204 to answer that really :)
Yes!! I’m actually type one / have been since I was 18 months year old I’m still fairly new to the forum so apologies if my profile doesn’t provide much info

Danni_pinay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello I’m fairly new to the forums but I’m looking for some advice. So today I received my eye screening results and it says pre proliferative retinopathy is Present and I’m stressing out so much and have had multiple panic attacks. I’m just wondering does this mean if I start taking full control and get plenty of exercise it could help and prevent any further damage
I had this for many years, I actually had laser surgery yesterday to burn off the new blood vessel disease that has formed in both eyes. But, when I found out I had pre proliferative retinopathy, I wasn't on top with controlling my diabetes. But it was my 25years of dealing with it all in April. We all go through different things, but there is treatment to help or at least slow things down if needed.
I'm not here to stress you!! But your new to this all and good control (while still living) is so important stay positive and know there is help from this community or doctors!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Yes!! I’m actually type one / have been since I was 18 months year old I’m still fairly new to the forum so apologies if my profile doesn’t provide much info

Hi @Bensim204 you're showing up as T1 now :).

Are you getting all the help from your diabetic team that you can have (eg continuous glucose monitor and/or pump)? Modern technology means that the treatment for T1 improves all the time. Eyes do seem to be very sensitive to changes in blood glucose so it's worth getting all the help you can to smooth your levels out and allow them to heal....

Good luck.