Yoghurts

Irishmist66

Hi all am 5 weeks into type 2 diabetes diagnosis stl getting head round it. Are there yoghurts that are good to eat haven't touched Any yet. Thanks in advance

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all am 5 weeks into type 2 diabetes diagnosis stl getting head round it. Are there yoghurts that are good to eat haven't touched Any yet. Thanks in advance
Many of us eat plain unflavoured full fat Greek yoghurt without issue.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So no flavoured yoghurts?
Most of the flavoured ones have a lot of sugar/carbs, which make your blood glucose rise.
But to make sure you can check the nutritional info on the back of the pot.

You could also use a natural yoghurt and add berries and some sweetener if you find it not sweet enough by itself.

Reactions: Struma and wendy22

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually just have some Greek Yoghurt and add a few berries ... the flavoured ones usually have a lot of sugar in them and are high in carbs

Lelliee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Irishmist66, I buy the Lindahls Kvarg yogurts which they do in several flavours. They're around £1 each, but some supermarkets usually have them on offer! They're around 5g carb each pot and quite filling too!

D

Deleted member 543160

I've always (since well before my T2 diagnosis) eaten normal (5%) fat Greek yoghurt, usually Fage but occasionally Yeo Valley Greek Style. Nothing extra's added, so it's versatile: I can add a little fresh fruit, or nuts, seeds, cocoa ,vanilla, sweetener if I fancy, and I'll also sometimes use it in my cooking as a base for a savoury sauce.

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I buy alpro plain with coconut then add blueberries, almonds, sunflower seeds & dessicated coconut

Reactions: MargaretR

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I usually have full fat plain Greek yogurt and add a few raspberries. However, if you can tolerate the sweeteners the Light and Free yogurt are OK.

Reactions: Irishmist66

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I keep a few bags of frozen berries in the freezer and add some to various desserts - full fat Greek yoghurt, sugar free jelly cream whipped up with gelatine and flavoured with essences and sugar free squash or you can use fizzy drinks - make up gelatine with a small amount of water, mix in cream or yoghurt and let it cool then when it is just beginning to thicken pour in the fizz down the side of the container and stir it very gently - don't used the fizz chilled or you are likely to get separate layers or chunks of solid jelly. Once mixed I put it into the freezer for a few minutes then transfer to the fridge. It will set with the bubbles trapped inside.

Reactions: Irishmist66

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Assuming you are in UK, Lidl do a proper full-fat Greek yoghurt which they sell in multipacks. Each pot is rather small, so just enough to hit the Greek-yoghurt spot and no temptation to eat too much (unless you have another). They are delicious.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Yes you can add all manner of things to Greek yogurt. A few flaked almonds give a nice crunch, or pumpkin seeds (my fave). I almost always add a quarter teaspoon of ground cinnamon, one or two Strawberries sliced, and a lacing of double cream. Any berries will go nicely though and you only need one or two :)

Reactions: Lobsang Tsultim

daffy1

Dislikes
garlic, pubs
I use the Lidl Greek yogurt in the large tubs about £1.15 with a hand ful of berries fresh or frozen and I put a small amount of Skinny maple syrup as a sweetener 0r chia seeds. A tub will last four or five days

Lupf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HI @Irishmist66
I usally mix full fat natural or Greek yoghurt with flavoured yoghurts.
Natural yoghurts have 3 to 4 of carbs /100 g and good quality full fat yoghurts
have about 14 g of carbs / 100 g, so you can stay at less than 10 g of carbs per serving,
you can also add fruit with or instead of flavoured yoghurt,
With a meter you can find out what you can tolerate.
I buy large tubs, stay away from low fat stuff.

Reactions: Grannypat
D

Deleted member 556660

I got a yogurt maker - granted it takes 8 hours to make some, but it's really delicious. Add a few berries, and bingo - really nice and filling too.

Reactions: CaminoTurtle

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got a yogurt maker - granted it takes 8 hours to make some, but it's really delicious. Add a few berries, and bingo - really nice and filling too.
Me too!
Based in advice from @shelley262 I use particular maker that allows it to ferment at a lower temperature for longer. I do 24 hours at 42°, comes out lovely mild and thick, just like the greek but at a 1/3 the price of some brands, and I can control what goes into it

Reactions: CaminoTurtle

ThoseRainyDays

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I recently came across Alpro Plain No Sugar in Tesco. 0 carbs per 100g and only 42kcal. I sweeten it with a little erythritol and add some Raspberries and chia seeds. Yummy!