'dont' inject in a public toilet !

TheSparkyPony

I have a pump now, but would inject anywhere and everywhere! On the bus, sat in a restaurant, and in the dreaded public toilet :shifty:

At the time I was a very self concious teenager, and hid my diabetes. Some of you might have the balls to inject in public, but I knew I certainly didn't!
I gradually got better and would start to inject more publicly (as mentioned before on bus etc) but I would also worry about people with the likes of needle phobias. Why should I inflict misery on someone else for my convenience?!

I also never got an infection in the first 11.5 years of me injecting :angel: shame I'm getting them now I'm on a pump, which I do in a safe sterile place! Oh the irony! xxx

eshaw

I agree that although public toilets are not ideal, but I don't see the harm if you are sensible and don't have the needle come into contact with the loo etc. The chances of being infected by airbourne particles is very slim. I've never had a problem, I sometimes do it if it happens to be the time to take it when I'm in there, it's just convenient.

However, I will be controversial by saying (and any diabetic nurse will cringe if they see this) most of the time if I am in public, I do it through my trousers or t-shirt etc (changing the needle each time). It's just much easier for me, and when I'm at the table in a resturant it's actually very discreet, and barely no one notices, although I've been diabetic so long I don't' care if they do. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that does this.

Samantha_jo

I've been injecting in public toilets my whole life and i've never had a problem. Anyone with any sense would know not to put down their insulin pen, especially if the needle was exposed.

I never put the injection down anywhere on the toilet but I have absolutely no problem injecting in there. Germs are everywhere, and yes, generally there may be more in a toilet, I can honestly say here now that there are germs everywhere. Yep, that's right, all the nasty things in the world can congregate in places other than a toilet.

If you inject in public i.e. on the bus, train - is the whole train or bus sterilised?? Is everyone else sitting beside you sterlised and clean and not transmitting anything across to you?? Are public places so clean and bacteria/germ free that you could eat your dinner off the floor?? No of course not!

Just my take on it :)

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I refuse to be a victim and hide in my house. I do all the things normal people do (ride motor bikes, jump out of planes, kitesurf etc) this means I'm out and about away from the safety of my house. I was diagnosed as an adult and encouraged not to use public toilets. What really bad advice that was as many diabetics will attest.
Thank you to all that inject in public to bring diabetics down to the level and even lower than drug addicts (the poor thing can't help it, or so the excuse for druggies goes). With the modern injection pens it's so simple NOT to contaminate the needle, just put the tip on before you go out and leave the inner cap over the needle. No need to put the needle down any where. With Kids it must be a bit more difficult. Like most of you I have the full list of horror stories - "you should donate your organs before you deliberately destroy them". One co-worker at lunch threatened me with harassment if she saw a needle or me performing actions she took for me injecting as she was needle phobic, and the list goes on. I quickly started to realise there is a great deal of animosity against Diabetics and shoving it in their face, so to speak is not helping, but making the problem worse. Initially I was quite happy for Diabetes to be part of my life, but not dominate or dictate, after observing more negative reactions than I care to count. It's now a dirty little secret. I'm not a shy person by any means and not afraid of confrontation, however I'm also quite intelligent and know when more harm than good is being done.

I don't live in the UK, but Australia, we don't have a totally free medical system and there is always a push to reduce costs, the most unpopular ailments get the least funding Mental health being at the bottom. Some Diabetics are working hard to get Diabetes there and then bye bye to subsidised medication. Don't think you will educate the masses, there have been Zero positive gains in the change of attitudes over the last 10 years well actually a reversal.

Please think before you offend.

AMBrennan

Thank you to all that inject in public to bring diabetics down to the level and even lower than drug addicts
Could you please clarify if you're being sarcastic or not?
just put the tip on before you go out and leave the inner cap over the needle.
That's just dumb, being both unnecessary (pen needles have a sterile seal) and contradicting the pen manufacturer's instructions (re leaving needle attached to pen for prolonged periods of time).

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
AMBrennan said:
Thank you to all that inject in public to bring diabetics down to the level and even lower than drug addicts
Could you please clarify if you're being sarcastic or not?
I'm not being sarcastic. The council provides centres for sharps disposals (My diabetic educator operates out of another wing of the same complex) I was exchanging full for empty containers dressed in my motorcycle gear all was going great until they realised I was diabetic - the tirade of abuse, I was lucky that that I was a bit bigger than them or they would have thrown me out. Needless to say I left empty handed. I now go to another 'branch' and just pretend I'm a druggie and all is well - anyone want sterile water as I have plenty!!! In the CBD where I work they have people that will turn up discretely to collect your sharps at work (or a council bench) - but only if you are drug addict. Their theory is if you are a druggie you will just throw your sharps on the ground - as a diabetic you are supposed to be responsible and wouldn't do that, so you are taking resources away from the drug community.

just put the tip on before you go out and leave the inner cap over the needle.
That's just dumb, being both unnecessary (pen needles have a sterile seal) and contradicting the pen manufacturer's instructions (re leaving needle attached to pen for prolonged periods of time).
I use Novofine caps and there are no instructions on them saying I can't, my endo doesn't have a problem with it. Less than years ago nearly all diabetics apparently used the same cap all day as they cost a lot of money. Since AIDs there has been a needle exchange for drug users. It was only thanks to a group of diabetics that queued up, outnumbering the druggies that finally syringes were provided free. I was diagnosed right at the end. I had to pay for my first box of caps, then after that they were free.

Fred J M

Dislikes
I am NOT a "diabetic" - I am a person who suffers from diabetes - And I will not allow myself to be controlled by those who want me to conform to THEIR standards and who use scaremongering and bullying to achieve this... There are many medical professionals who are wonderful, but alas, many who suffer from personality disorders which atract them to medicine because it gives them power.
I think perhaps one can be too alarmist - millions of injections are administered daily, often in non-ideal situations, and one story about infection should be taken in its statistical context.
I have been injecting for 38 years, I also have other genetic issues which make me more prone to infection (immune system is impaired due to a1-ATD) and have never had an infection due to injecting.. I have often (must be thousands of times in my life) injected in public toilets (including some disgusting ones).

I think the bottom line is this -

Ensure that the injection site is clean.. Although the practice is not being continued, when I started injecting, one swabbed the injection site with alcahol prior to injecting - I still have swabs I use when conditions are not ideal.

NEVER allow your needle to have ANY possibility of coming into contact with ANYTHING except your injection site! And do not allow anything other than the needle to contact your injection site once it has been cleaned - Wash your hands, as these are the most likely things to contact the site.

Then, after injecting, realize that there is still a possible infection route through the puncture hole.. do not allow anything risky to come in contact with the site for a while -

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Fred J M said:
I think perhaps one can be too alarmist -

NEVER allow your needle to have ANY possibility of coming into contact with ANYTHING except your injection site! And do not allow anything other than the needle to contact your injection site once it has been cleaned - Wash your hands, as these are the most likely things to contact the site.

As I said in my earlier post, in every toilet in the world you will find airborne particles of human excrement, you dont need to touch a surface to contaminate your needle just exposing it to the air is enough, the dangerous stuff is all around you, you my have been luck others have not.

Why would anyone want to inject in a public toilet surely its a no brainer :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

mhoggarth

I have always injected in a public toilet when out and about. This is not for other peoples benefits, but for mine, ive only been T1 for 6 months and im still not comfortable injecting in public. (i no i shouldnt)
I keep my tester in its carry case and place it on top of the toilet roll holder, keep my pen in my pocket until im ready, and then add the needle right before i inject.
i then remove the needle, put everything back in its place in my carry case, and then wash my hands before eating.
Living in a student house at the minute means that public toilets are probably cleaner than my own (not that i dont clean it, but 4 others dont!)

Germs are everywhere according to the news and the nhs, but as long as your careful, u can minimise most risks

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi ALL ...
Am 'sorry' but when a medical PROFESSIONAL " firmly " tells me to NEVER ever inject in a public toilet [explains why in my 1st post here on this thread] I am most certainly NOT going to do so...
All bodily fluids of countless other persons are sprayed further and remain both airborne and on every surface going in and around the cubicles! This IS with EVERY toilet flush too.... :shock:
Even my own mother has been hospitalised with a severe bladder infection caught from the hospital's communal ladies loo's. It took 2 lots of antibiotic courses to get her back on the mend she is 80 years old and very precious to me and her family.
I would much rather do it at my own home or if no choice whilst out n about, get my little belly out and just do it!
My own health is more important than others stares and opinions .
The needle phobics CAN always NOT look , needles are now tiddly n tiny compared to the ones used years ago!
Agree totally with sid and ebony's posts earlier , very relevant!
Anna.

Fred J M

Dislikes
I am NOT a "diabetic" - I am a person who suffers from diabetes - And I will not allow myself to be controlled by those who want me to conform to THEIR standards and who use scaremongering and bullying to achieve this... There are many medical professionals who are wonderful, but alas, many who suffer from personality disorders which atract them to medicine because it gives them power.
Sid Bonkers said:
Fred J M said:
I think perhaps one can be too alarmist -

As I said in my earlier post, in every toilet in the world you will find airborne particles of human excrement, you dont need to touch a surface to contaminate your needle just exposing it to the air is enough, the dangerous stuff is all around you, you my have been luck others have not.

Why would anyone want to inject in a public toilet surely its a no brainer :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

First, times have changed.. These days most diabetics have access to insulin pens, and it is far easier to inject oneself discreetly now than it used to be.. Also, attitudes towards diabetes (and administering injections etc in public etc) have changed - there was a time when doing this provoked outrage - I was once evicted from a resturant for being seen filling my syringe.. I was not even doing the injection, just getting it ready for doing the shot in the public loo.

Secondly, the "just exposing it to the air is enough" is a bit OTT IMO.. Sure, there are "airborne particles" - but these particles and their distribution is dependant on many factors, most of which probably apply equally in more hygenic situations.. Every time your clothes are agitated (rolling up your sleave for example) particles which have settled on your clothes can (and do) become airbourne.. If you have visited a public loo while wearing these clothes at any time preceding your injection, particles which had settled when you visited the loo can become airborne and settle on your needle or (much more likely due to the triboelectric properties of skin) on your injection site.

I am NOT saying that any public loo is a "good" choice - I certainly would never use one unless I had NO other option - and, if there is no other option I have at times chosen to delay my injection (with resulting temporary increase in BS) if I knew I could get to a better environment within a reasonable time.. These days, with the pen, one can usually just find some corner to sculk in or go outside if one must - but twas not so easy in the past.

And these days, although far easier, there ARE occasionally times (for me anyway) where the choice is either to inject in a public loo, or to go high.. There are places on earth where being seen injecting yourself can get you into big trouble, and even some places where the public loo may be the cleanest and safest environment.

Personal choice - but for me, if I had listened to all the BS the medical profession had spouted to me over my life, I would NOT HAVE HAD A LIFE! - I would have been "a Diabetic" primarily, with being A PERSON secondary to this, the focus on my disease would have required limiting myself and living in continual guilt and fear and self-depreciation - Allowing myself to be scolded by meds and nurses who treated me like a lazy lying DIABETIC when I was doing my best to meet their standards, and sufferring anguish...I took this cr*p from them until I could take it no more, and I chose to reclaim my human rights and declare that I would not let my disease define me. I am NOT a "diabetic" - I am a person who suffers from diabetes - And I will not allow myself to be controlled by those who want me to conform to THEIR standards and who use scaremongering and bullying to achieve this... There are many medical professionals who are wonderful, but alas, many who suffer from personality disorders which atract them to medicine because it gives them power.

Fred.

Delphinum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Most food.
I've never had anyone have a problem with me injecting in front of them and I don't give enough of a toss about strangers to care if they are bothered about me injecting. I'll inject walking down a street if I need to.

You wouldn't stop an asthmatic taking their inhaler... and an insulin pen is not like a junkie with a syringe and needles. It's just a quick twist on, dial up, top off and stab in. Not exactly embarrassing or worth stressing about. :) I've found people to be fascinated by it rather than horrified.

It's my health that's at risk and it's my family who will have to look after me if I don't take care of my diabetes now... and there's no way I'm walking round trying to find a 'convenient' place to inject whilst my sugar is rocketing. I have my sight, my legs, my kidneys, etc working now... I'd like to keep it that way as long as possible.

(P.S. Leaving the needles on the pens does enable bacteria to travel into the insulin vial and may cause infection, so don't do this. It's funny how many people on my DAFNE course did that and re-used needles!!)

phoenixlyn

I am NOT a "diabetic" - I am a person who suffers from diabetes - And I will not allow myself to be controlled by those who want me to conform to THEIR standards and who use scaremongering and bullying to achieve this... There are many medical professionals who are wonderful, but alas, many who suffer from personality disorders which attract them to medicine because it gives them power.

Fred.[/quote]

I agree. As a person with T1 diabetes since 1970, I realized a long time ago, the medical profession are just learning the ropes too. As the person living with diabetes, I use commonsense and use their advice as just that - advice.

I've had to use public loos with syringes and not yet ever had an infection, but I do still make sure my kit never touches any surface but me!

Why would someone saying they are diabetic make it ok but not okay for a drug user? How would a non diabetic know the difference?

Lyn

microfazer

Dislikes
man-made in$ulin$, lack of C-peptide, in$ulin propaganda, half-wit medical personnel, insulin bottles that are so much thinner than beer bottles
phoenixlyn said:
...Why would someone saying they are diabetic make it ok but not okay for a drug user? How would a non diabetic know the difference?.....

i've always thought the lack of "cookery" --- meaning the putting of the junk in the spoon & cooking it up, belt around the arm, etc --- should keep it obvious that its not "bad" drugs, combined with a clearly phama-looking bottle and (hopefully) an alcohol swab involved in the process. and granted not everyone is familiar with the process personally, but one -- i think -- would be hard-pressed to find somebody who's not seen the "bad" process in a feature film or tv programme or somesuch (often portayed in pretty graphic detail).

but even moreso, the lack of "drugged-ness" that follows injection should tell the story. folks shooting junk tend to slip into the ether pretty quickly, foks shooting insulin, not so much. :)

pearl

I was given to understand that injecting in a public loo was a no no, some time ago. I have done it in the past, but received funny looks if anyone came in.(druggy perhaps) So now I quite happily inject in public, discreetly if possibly. If people think it odd, that is their problem not mine.:))

eshaw

Chowie said:
I quickly started to realise there is a great deal of animosity against Diabetics and shoving it in their face, so to speak is not helping, but making the problem worse. Initially I was quite happy for Diabetes to be part of my life, but not dominate or dictate, after observing more negative reactions than I care to count. It's now a dirty little secret. I'm not a shy person by any means and not afraid of confrontation, however I'm also quite intelligent and know when more harm than good is being done.

I'm a bit surprised by this statement, if I have taken this the right way. I don't see myself shoving my injection taking in people's faces, nor do I see others going hey look at me and what I'm doing right now, I'm shoving a needle in me. It comes across as a bit defeatist. I think what most diabetics want to do is get on with their lives and be able to take their insulin freely without people complaining at them, for essentially doing the job their bodies can no longer do anymore, which is keep them alive! I don't see what is so offensive about pulling out a discreet pen and performing a little stab in the leg etc. It's no different than taking a pill, just in a different form of delivery. I certainly don't think doing it in public brings us down to the level, even lower than druggies, and find that hard to believe that people think that.

The picture you giving is that in Australia, diabetics are treated worse than drug addicts, and appear to be judged if they do want to take their medication in public. In which case this is really sad, and why shouldn't this be challenged? I don't blame diabetics for making a stand as it's discrimination and shouldn't be tolerated. There is clearly something very wrong with the system, if drug addicts are treated better. Diabetics should feel supported, and if they are up against instances like you mention, then these people and situations should be challenged and not given in to, otherwise nothing will ever change for the better. If people don't like needles then don't look! It's not as if they are very big either, so usually one can't see much happening either, it's just people being OTT.

How I feel about it is that diabetics should do what they feel is right for them, whether it's doing it in a public loo or out in public, whatever Thye find comfortable and practical for them at the time.

miss_lady_pink

Why would you put ur pen on the thing anyway ewwww no wonder she got ill when i go to inject if im out and about like rrstaurant i simply take pen out my bag and inject wats the need for puttin it down durrrr

BeccaJaneStClair

What about asking if you could use a nursing room if one is available? Lots of places have those set up for nursing mums and I assume they are kept fairly clean, I don't see why someone who needs an insulin shot shouldn't be able to use it.