• Guest - w'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the 2026 Survey »

Type 1'stars R Us

I sympathise @SueJB I have struggled this last year.
My problems have been high sugars very slow to fall. I’m trying not to worry about it as my TIR is still above Seventy, but the HbA1c has been creeping up. And for the first time in fourteen years some weight has crept on.
To be fair I know why, having been under enormous stress with parents-one death the other in a care home with dementia, and clearing their house to put on the market. In eight weeks there has not been one person to see the house and my mother has got huge anxiety issues which have involved me in all sorts of ways. My eating has therefore being very erratic and not as low carb as I would like. Stress is undoubtedly the underlying cause of it all.
Next week we are away and on return I am determined to have a reset and concentrate more on me and get myself back on track. I have also applied for some counselling as I have been dealing with parents now for nearly five years and it has definitely taken its toll.
So sorry @becca59 to hear about your parents it really makes me realise , despite everything, how lucky I am. I hope you're going somewhere relaxing to revitalise. I found Lindisfarne a wonderful retreat. Lots of lovely walks
 
Off to Berwick @SueJB and can see Lindisfarne from two of the walks, weather permitting, we shall do.
We loved walking the walls in Berwick and wedid a boat trip to see the seals....only one and it was bitterly cold.. the weather not the seal
 
Back from a Monday to Friday break in Berwick. Fabulously relaxed! Didn’t stint on enjoyable food (all cooked in caravan but based around a ready meal with lots of veg) alcohol and treats, ninety eight percent in range. Home and back to real life and stress, cannot stay below ten. Which rather proves, relaxation-good results. Real life-dealing with dementia parent in care home and her house sale-poor results! Impossible to win.
 
Back from a Monday to Friday break in Berwick. Fabulously relaxed! Didn’t stint on enjoyable food (all cooked in caravan but based around a ready meal with lots of veg) alcohol and treats, ninety eight percent in range. Home and back to real life and stress, cannot stay below ten. Which rather proves, relaxation-good results. Real life-dealing with dementia parent in care home and her house sale-poor results! Impossible to win.
That's really good to hear you had a super time
 
@SueJB @becca59 Same here, all sorts of aggravations this past year. Muscle spasm, torn muscle, twice pinched nerve and it was hard to get into my routine of exercising after bouts of not being able to. Then I had the PRP which immediately helped my leg pain, but not my back. But I wasn't allowed to exercise for 3 months especially since my back wasn't showing improvement and they wanted to make sure the PRP had a chance to help. But it left me with already erratic exercise that I was barely coming back to and it was like the last nail in a coffin of my 10 miles a day on my recumbent bike. Now I can do 6-7 finally, but I can really hurt from it and have to take a break every couple of days.

So my BG levels are erratic and more highs than I would like and sometimes staying high too long and I have a tendency to aggressively treat them. So then lows and eating something to treat them. Bad cycle as I have been slowly gaining weight. Not active enough, not enough exercise for me and the not easily to lose it once I've gained. My AIC and TIR has not been as good, even though it is still really really good. But that's because I am being aggressive in dosing/treating and that means extra food I shouldn't be having.
 
But that's because I am being aggressive in dosing/treating and that means extra food I shouldn't be having.
You have my sympathy.
I do this as if for example i'm in the 10s (mmol) and i give myself 1 unit of novorapid it will come down but in 3 hours
However if i give myself 2 or 3 units it comes down quicker but then i need food!

I don't carry much weight but sometimes you simply don't want to eat.....

Tony
 
@marie So frustrating for you.
And @Tony[emoji[emoji6]] I’m with you on being impatient. I am on Fiasp which is meant to be quick. It isn’t before about three in the afternoon. After it performs as it should. Proving your body is in charge not the insulin.
 
@marie So frustrating for you.
And @Tony[emoji[emoji6]] I’m with you on being impatient. I am on Fiasp which is meant to be quick. It isn’t before about three in the afternoon. After it performs as it should. Proving your body is in charge not the insulin.
Ridiculous i know but i sometimes think insulin plays hide and seek as one minute nothing happens and the next minute it gets about my body at the speed of a deer!!

Tony
 
Ridiculous i know but i sometimes think insulin plays hide and seek as one minute nothing happens and the next minute it gets about my body at the speed of a deer!!

Tony
Yep I've got elusive insulin. Checking my blood this morning and wondered whether it's going to nose dive or rocket and trying to decide if I should bolus. I haven't but I'll see later. Novorapid takes different amounts of time to work depending on the time of day and don't mention Tresiba
 
And gees, I went snorkeling and I haven't been for a while. Granted I kept it shorter than I used to swim, but I hadn't been so.... Usually my BG climbs when I swim and then starts to drop, only it kept climbing hours after. Okay so I switched my pod out because they get hit by stuff that I pull in and out of my swimsuit. That helped stopped the climbing and with corrections eventually I ended in a "normal" range, but I never dropped like I usually do. Usually I am having to reduce my basal all night and into the next morning... nope. Exercise I wasn't used to, I should have been dropping and less insulin needed, nope! Go figure.

The water was a nice temp but was rather murky still from our weather patterns. We have another storm going by us so it won't clear up soon. This summer it's been storm after storm and lots of rain. You can still swim but just not really see anything unless it's right in front of you..
 
@Marie 2 I wonder if your body had adjusted its behaviour during your incapacity and now needs a kick start. It is so frustrating when reactions change and there is a whole new adjustment needed.
 
Hi
I was just dwelling on my levimir as i'm on my very last vial before changing to tresiba.
I take it at 6 am and 6pm soooo if i have lunch at 12 i take novorapid and then at 3.30 in the afternoon i start to drop and quickly as both novo rapid and levimir are both operating at their maximum.
If i skip lunch which i do wednesday thursday friday at 3.30 i need a little food but not masses.

When lunching at 12 its critical i get the dose of novo correct.

Forgive me but i have thoughts sometimes and then forget them so i thought i would pop the above nugget on here for me to look back on whilst i will be fretting next week when i start Tresiba.

It feels like a huge task ahead of me but then my brain kicks in with a " stop fretting and get on with it you have the tech and experience "

Have a fabulous Friday and an even better weekend.

Tony
 
It feels like a huge task ahead of me but then my brain kicks in with a " stop fretting and get on with it you have the tech and experience "
That last part, cling on to that!
You do have the tech and the experience, and although it may take a bit of time to find out what works, and it's fine if it's not perfect from day one.

You may well find you'll like it much better too!
 
When I have switched back and forth from total MDI to pump, to partial pump and partial MDI, to total pump lol, I fret too. Especially that I split the Lantus dose into twice a day dosing. It's easier from pump to MDI than MDI to pump or is that visa versa lol? But you just have to dig in and do it and be blessed we have CGM's to keep track of our BG levels.
Since Tresiba is longer term in your system, it seems like it will be something to learn and some fretting will be inevitable.
 
You may well find you'll like it much better too!
Yes that is what i'm hoping for....and one less jab per day....

I'm known for posting the fact i rely on a slightly higher dose of levimir than i need plus the number of steps i do per day resulting in good and managable levels.
A levimir low is much easier to deal with than a Novorapid low...

A bit of trivia .....i cleaned the car yesterday afternoon then my son rocked up last night and borrowed it as his had a flat tyre.
It used to be my car but when i changed where i work 4 years ago and now walk to work it became my wifes car except when it needs cleaning!!

Happy Monday people

Tony
 
Being a type 1 of over 50 years i look at food and judge it by its carb content and whether i need to inject insulin for it.

Even at a restaurant i look at other peoples food and calculate how much insulin i would need.

I suppose its a bit odd but its not a problem and my poor wife refers to me as the food police....

Good luck

Tony
 
That made me chuckle :)
Good as it is funny but 100% true.
I once witnessed a man at breakfast helping himself to 3 glasses of orange juice.
I pointed out to my wife i would need 3 units of insulin before i even started eating.

I was just 6 years old when i was diagnozed and hospitalized for 10 days.
I'm now 58 btw and i remember being the only diabetic and the other boys on my ward had had their tonsils out and for pudding they got ice cream with rice pudding and i got nowt.......i've never forgotten that!!!

Its no wonder i'm like i am....

lol

Tony
 
Back
Top