daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
There is one post missing that I couldn't find which was posted by borofergie on 8 June at 0154. I wonder if it was deleted for some reason. I hope the rest is OK with you. Thread name as requested and is near the top of the active topics now.

Grazer

daisy1 said:
There is one post missing that I couldn't find which was posted by borofergie on 8 June at 0154. I wonder if it was deleted for some reason. I hope the rest is OK with you. Thread name as requested and is near the top of the active topics now.

Sadly, that was the one with the links to the site regarding the subject; have you got that link Stephen? Can you post it again?

minitata

Scardoc said:
You've missed my point. Wheat is not fuelling population growth at all, the success of the human race is. Wheat is being used to help sustain the population we have. The advances in science, medicine, and technology have created a situation where the life expectancy of humans is rising all over the World. Communicable diseases are being vaccinated and people living in the poorest areas of the World are being helped to live longer through medicine, education and aid. Not only are people living longer but infant mortality rates are so much lower for the same reasons. Natural disasters are better understood, can be predicted and we can build buildings to withstand earthquakes for example. This means we can populate dangerous parts of the World and live in relative safety.

I have an asylum seeker 'daughter' from Cameroon. She is amazed at the bread we eat here. She loves the stuff and has piled on loads of weight since having food so available. As she says no-one has enough to eat in Cameroon, to see a fat person is to see a very wealthy one. They get by on fufu which is made by boiling starchy vegetables like cassava, yams or plaintains and then pounding them into a dough-like consistency and stews made with little meat and ground peanuts to thicken. None of the Africans I know ate much wheat back in Africa. She also has 2 children - both born in this country, though not British - and says that as they were born by Caesarian section, she would have died giving birth to her first. We forget in this country that only the rich in some countries get medical aid, education or justice.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
minitata said:
Scardoc said:
You've missed my point. Wheat is not fuelling population growth at all, the success of the human race is. Wheat is being used to help sustain the population we have. The advances in science, medicine, and technology have created a situation where the life expectancy of humans is rising all over the World. Communicable diseases are being vaccinated and people living in the poorest areas of the World are being helped to live longer through medicine, education and aid. Not only are people living longer but infant mortality rates are so much lower for the same reasons. Natural disasters are better understood, can be predicted and we can build buildings to withstand earthquakes for example. This means we can populate dangerous parts of the World and live in relative safety.

I have an asylum seeker 'daughter' from Cameroon. She is amazed at the bread we eat here. She loves the stuff and has piled on loads of weight since having food so available. As she says no-one has enough to eat in Cameroon, to see a fat person is to see a very wealthy one. They get by on fufu which is made by boiling starchy vegetables like cassava, yams or plaintains and then pounding them into a dough-like consistency and stews made with little meat and ground peanuts to thicken. None of the Africans I know ate much wheat back in Africa. She also has 2 children - both born in this country, though not British - and says that as they were born by Caesarian section, she would have died giving birth to her first. We forget in this country that only the rich in some countries get medical aid, education or justice.
+100 I never get complacent about how fortuanate we are in the standard of living we are so priviledged to experience here compared to other parts of the world where this is only a distant dream. :(

minitata

Scardoc said:
Borofergie - weight loss through exercise was not the point I was making. I was talking about preventing obesity in the first place through leading an active life.

I've been overweight/obese since Ii had tb as a 3 year old - well since I got over it as a 4 yr old really. When I was at school I swam, played hockey, ran and was very active, yet remained obese. From a poor family we ate lots of carbs - very little meat except very cheap cuts that were cooked in stews etc. We filled up on bread, potatoes and homemade scones and cakes. Only my mother, who was permanently dieting and didn't eat much bread was anywhere near her correct weight. My father, brother and I all became diabetics - yet for all of us over the years we would have 'hypo' symptoms if we didn't eat on time. The symptoms started small and grew more and more until one by one we were diagnosed with type 2.

I have a very restricted mobility and now don't move much at all, but by cutting my carb intake I've lost almost 4 stone in a year and brought my bg into non diabetic levels - without improving my mobility either unfortunately

Scardoc

Minitata - some good points and there's no doubt we are all extremely lucky to be living in the UK. I would never argue that!

However, seeing a fat person in the Western World in no way implies poor. Sadly, it points to the sedentary lifestyle many of us lead and the food choices we make. Now, before I get hacked to bits for saying that, I do not just mean at a personal level. Yes, I believe we do need to take more personal responsibility for our lifestyle but we also need our leader's to help us by giving us the correct information and accepting that our health is more important than the mighty dollar!!

My chief concern is that as poorer parts of the World develop they will follow the Western pattern. A large well known fast food outlet is in every continent except Antarctica. The only continent it does not have a real presence in yet is Africa. For how long? Rest assured, once people can afford something and the Government can profit from it too it will happen. Regardless of how good or bad it is.

viv1969

Sorry, whilst the opening premise of the thread is sound and interesting.....after page 3 or so it becomes the forum equivalent of the Dignitas clinic. :crazy:

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
viv1969 said:
Sorry, whilst the opening premise of the thread is sound and interesting.....after page 3 or so it becomes the forum equivalent of the Dignitas clinic. :crazy:

What? You mean the premis laid out in the now deleted spam post? :D

Scardoc

Not sure this is relevant to the opening premise or not but I was listening to radio at lunch and they were talking about the rising price of cocoa due to increased demand from India and China. The cost of chocolate is going to increase as a result and they were discussing how this effects the chocolate we buy. One of the worrying points was that it will lead to chocolate containing more sugar to make the cost of making it lower. Now, chocolate may not be relavent to us diabetics but I thought it went along the same lines of the idea that growing population and demand effects the food we eat negatively as they add more ****!

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Scardoc said:
Not sure this is relevant to the opening premise or not but I was listening to radio at lunch and they were talking about the rising price of cocoa due to increased demand from India and China. The cost of chocolate is going to increase as a result and they were discussing how this effects the chocolate we buy. One of the worrying points was that it will lead to chocolate containing more sugar to make the cost of making it lower. Now, chocolate may not be relavent to us diabetics but I thought it went along the same lines of the idea that growing population and demand effects the food we eat negatively as they add more ****!

That's a great point. We're going to have to surrender our position as the rich-top-dogs and start accepting the second-rate **** that is more worthy of our position down the pecking order. The days of exploiting the rest of the world for all of the best resources are almost over I think. I think that history will look very unkindly on our unsustainable age of opulence.

Smarner

Just looked in on the forum first time in a while as I gave up bread and changed weetabix to oatibix and for the first time in 2 years had a fasting meter reading less than 7 this morning (normally 8-9). Obviousley I'm not alone in thinking wheat might have been a problem.
Totally lost faith in local surgery as they don't believe you can get neuropathy in places other than feet, also didn't think diet & exercise could lower cholesterol without statins. They were amazed when it was back to normal.

Clover

Interesting thread. I came sideways into a diagnosis of pre diabetes. High blood pressure was picked up during a routine health check. I have known for years that if I eat wheat based products I swell and gain weight. So in an attempt to lose weight to try to lower my blood pressure I cut out wheat; 3 days later bp readings were normal! I kept experimenting and the trend remained, no wheat meant normal bp readings, although there was some fluctunation in the figures/responses. So I asked my doctor if there was something available on the NHS that could help me identify products that caused me problems. She authorized an extensive range of blood tests.

I was shocked when a letter arrived informing me my Hb-A1c was 6.3%. Diabetes had never occured to me.

I had to wait almost 3 weeks before I could get an appointment, so during that time I monitored my own blood sugar. The figures I took with me to the appointment indicated an Hb-A1c of nearer 5.2%. I had not eaten any wheat (or potatoes) in that time.

The blood tests taken showed no indication of any allergic reaction.

As my doctor handed me the standard pre diabetes diet sheet which stated 'its a myth that any particular diet will help', she said 'you obviously have a problem with wheat, it doesn't agree with you'. So I think I remain sort of undiagnosed!