cholesterol

DavideB

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Just would like to ask...With not eating all these carbs and more protein, what happens to your cholesterol levels, how do you control them.

Thanks

DavideB

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
from what I've read on here,quite a few members who follow a Low carb/High fat diet regime have experienced good improvements in their cholesterol levels/Ratios! :thumbup:

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
On a low-carb/high-fat diet you should expect your "bad" LDL cholesterol to stay the same, but your "good" HDL cholesterol to increase, and your overall blood triglycerides to decrease.

In the words of Richard Feinman:
"Dietary carbohydrate restriction is the single most effective method (except for total starvation) of reducing triglycerides, and is as effective as any intervention, including most drugs, at increasing HDL and reducing the number of small-dense LDL particles. Beyond lipid markers, carbohydrate restriction improves all of the features of metabolic syndrome. "
https://rdfeinman.wordpress.com/2012/03 ... 15-theses/

So you'd expect it to be extremely beneficial.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Davideb wrote :
With not eating all these carbs and more protein, what happens to your cholesterol levels

What few doctors will be telling you at the moment is that it's the carbs which are giving you bad cholesterol readings, particularly high triglycerides.
Doctors believe it's to do with meat, saturated fat, eggs etc (dietary cholesterol).

From my latest library read
(Life Without Bread, How A low-Carbohydrate Diet Can Save your Life) :

"we have convincing proof of falling cholesterol levels in people of different ages who adopt a low-carbohydrate diet over the long term ... the cholesterol level of the diet lies approximately 50 percent above what the general population takes in ... yet patients' blood cholesterol levels dropped, DESPITE a large increase in the consumption of cholesterol and animal fats ... the level of triglycerides in 118 patients in Dr Lutz's practice dropped an average of more than 50 percent after only three months on a low-carbohydrate diet."

There's plenty of other research that agrees with these findings :D

Geoff

Grazer

Agree with all above. My fat and general dairy consumption went up when I cut my carbs down. Carbs went down to 50% of guideline amounts, but about 30% of what i WAS eating. Fats went up, but cholesterol went from 5.5 to 3.8 with no change in meds. (been on 20mgs simvastatin for years at 5.5)

clairy clutterbuck

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Just got my results and since I started following a lower carb lifestule (feb) it seems my cholesterol has gone up from 4.8 to 5.8! Gulp! Not sure if it is anything to do with the diet or whether I just need lower carbs, will have an experiment and see. The triclycerides were 2.8 so thats not good. On the plus side my HBA1C was 45 which I think is 6.2, and blood pressure great. My mum had high triclycerides so could be nothing to do with diet..... appointment next week. watch this space! x

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is that your total cholesterol?

it might be an idea to find out how much good cholesterol (HDL) you have and how much bad (LDL)

My husbands total is 5,6, but his HDL is 4.2 of it.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
borofergie said:
On a low-carb/high-fat diet you should expect your "bad" LDL cholesterol to stay the same, but your "good" HDL cholesterol to increase, and your overall blood triglycerides to decrease.

In the words of Richard Feinman:
"Dietary carbohydrate restriction is the single most effective method (except for total starvation) of reducing triglycerides, and is as effective as any intervention, including most drugs, at increasing HDL and reducing the number of small-dense LDL particles. Beyond lipid markers, carbohydrate restriction improves all of the features of metabolic syndrome. "
https://rdfeinman.wordpress.com/2012/03 ... 15-theses/

So you'd expect it to be extremely beneficial.

SouthernGeneral6512

clairy clutterbuck said:
Just got my results and since I started following a lower carb lifestule (feb) it seems my cholesterol has gone up from 4.8 to 5.8! Gulp! Not sure if it is anything to do with the diet or whether I just need lower carbs, will have an experiment and see. The triclycerides were 2.8 so thats not good. On the plus side my HBA1C was 45 which I think is 6.2, and blood pressure great. My mum had high triclycerides so could be nothing to do with diet..... appointment next week. watch this space! x
I always wonder about the blood group diet could it be type As are better wth carbs and Os are better cutting them down?

clairy clutterbuck

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Oh never heard of the blood group diet? I can't remember what the total HDL and LDL levels were, just the triglycerides. Will have to check. GP said they weren't awful but with family history and sudden change after being ok for years she has suggested statins - have been researching them as they have had such bad press and spoen with British heart foundation and will give them a go....

My blood group is A Rhesus Negative (anti D) - have to be different! :lol: The lower carb diet seems to suit my sugars and weight loss but not sure if its the right diet for my blood group - will have a look at that out of interest.

xx