Disliking my pump . . .

ElleDee

Type of diabetes
LADA
Dislikes
Having diabetes :-(
I have been using my pump for approx 3 weeks now and I must admit, i'm not doing too well. I think its more how I feel about having the pump than actually the pump being annoying (if that makes sense lol :oops: )

I am struggling with where to house it when wearing various clothes, also i have noticed that some bra styles lend themselves to holding it whereas others are no use, I haven't yet bought any "accessories" but have been having a look at them but at this rate it looks like I am also going to have to change my whole wardrobe too LOL :D As I only use my pump for background insulin at the moment its not too bad, as once its in situ I don't need to bother with it again until I need to put in a new cartridge, however I know it will get more complicated when I start using bolus too as I am assuming I will need to access it to do this ( . . . not had that training yet lol)

Also my sites, these interfere greatly with what I wear, where do most people have theirs? The bumf I got with my pump doesn't really cover site locations very well!

All these things combined are making me somewhat dislike my pump a wee bit . . . . :crazy:

dowuchyalike

Hi ElleDee

I'm now coming up to 3 years with a pump and if there's one thing that time has taught me it's that there is no single perfect solution to where you keep the unit on your body.

I'm a guy, so no bra option and I find it especially difficult if I want to wear clothes that are at all fitted. If my trousers are too tight up top then it won't go comfortably in my pocket and if my t-shirt is close fitting then hanging it off my belt is far from ideal because if it's above the shirt material it catches on things like seat belts or if it's below it juts out and looks unsightly. As a result, I often find myself wearing looser fitting clothes that aren't especially flattering.

I think eventually you do just get to a point where you just accept that the pump is essentially a cumbersome object and that wherever you decide to house it, there's going to be some compromise. I'm guessing it's probably more of an issue for women because of the huge variety of clothes that are available, whereas for us guys its about the top and pants and that's it.

As regards cannula sites, you gotta play around with them. Abdominal area seems to be the favourite I think but I've recently taken to using the the upper outer buttock areas as an alternative. The only issue with this area is that when getting undressed your underwear can catch on it if you're not paying attention (avoid steamy movie-esque bedroom scenes where clothing is ripped off recklessly!). Contrary to DSN advice, I also use the very tops of my thighs and find the absorbency to be just as efficient as in other areas. Sides of the body where you're obliques are located are also useful if you have any degree of subcutaneuous fat there.

Keep at it, it will get easier (or less annoying) with time.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
ElleDee said:
I have been using my pump for approx 3 weeks now and I must admit, i'm not doing too well. I think its more how I feel about having the pump than actually the pump being annoying (if that makes sense lol :oops: )

I am struggling with where to house it when wearing various clothes, also i have noticed that some bra styles lend themselves to holding it whereas others are no use, I haven't yet bought any "accessories" but have been having a look at them but at this rate it looks like I am also going to have to change my whole wardrobe too LOL :D As I only use my pump for background insulin at the moment its not too bad, as once its in situ I don't need to bother with it again until I need to put in a new cartridge, however I know it will get more complicated when I start using bolus too as I am assuming I will need to access it to do this ( . . . not had that training yet lol)

Also my sites, these interfere greatly with what I wear, where do most people have theirs? The bumf I got with my pump doesn't really cover site locations very well!

All these things combined are making me somewhat dislike my pump a wee bit . . . . :crazy:

The simple solution is to get needle and cotton out and make some pockets for your clothes.
Personally I can't think of anything worse than having an extra boob in my bra :shock:
My pump sits in my pocket. Depending on which side of my body the cannula is will dictate which pocket it goes in.
There are different lengths of tubing to use as well. Cannula placing can go on hips bum thighs tummy arms.

iHs

Hi

It does take time to get used to using a pump and where to place it on your body so that you get to it easily. It was for that reason why I chose the Combo pump but did get to look at the Animas and the Veo before I made my decision on the pump for me. Straight away, I grabbed the demo Combo pump and shoved inside my bra cup to make sure that it would be ok there. I don't mind admitting online that my boobs are not that big. Infact I'm only a 34a and the pump fits quite nicely and comfortable too being diagonal inside my bra cup (half under my armpit and the other half inside my cup. I really don't know its there and that's the honest truth. A lightly padded underwired bra with t-shirt type straps will do the job very easily. M&S sell some nice ones but another option is to use one of those bra tops that are regularly sold on the satelite shopping channels. There are loads of them available and some are also sold in car boot sale markets for no more than £5 even cheaper than that.

Reactions: 2 people

ElleDee

Type of diabetes
LADA
Dislikes
Having diabetes :-(
*phew*, SO it's not just me lol :)

I do find it annoying trying to find outfits that "suit" the pump, through time I am hoping that i'll get there.

Carbs, my mum also suggested the pocket idea, however I am not sure it will work on all my outfits. My mother grew up the ideal Blue Peter child and fashioned one out of a phone sock and a nappy pin, she also made me a thigh holder constructed from tubi grip . . . . . if nothing else the woman is resourceful LOL

I think, as I am blaming the pump for a lot just now I am also finding fault with it where possible, to me (at the moment) its awkward, heavy, bulky and just plain annoying LOL :crazy:

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know what you mean about not knowing where to wear it!

I mostly wear mine in a spibelt (google it) as it is soft and stretchy and I am not really aware of it. But I am a jeans and jumper type of person most of the time so it fits quite nicely round my hips just under the bottom of my jumper/t shirt.

I must admit it is harder to deal with when wearing a dress. I sometimes clip it to the centre of my bra, but I dont think I could get away with putting it in my bra cup as that sounds incredibly uncomfortable :(

I have to wear a uniform for work and so I cut a small hole through the back of the pocket and feed the tubing through. It works really well.

linpat

Hi everyone, thanks for tips I am a 55 yr old hoping to soon become equipped with a pump and so excited! I have been injecting for over 33 yrs now and need a new method to control this .......condition! I have no complications just yet apart from background retinopathy so count myself lucky. I do live a 'normal' life and have 2 wonderful kids - not diabetic! so all is not lost. I always used to tell myself when first diagnosed that I could have been told I had something much worse to deal with. Recently attended an education course that has helped me a lot. Just meeting people going through the same as me was a step forward.
This site he;[ped me many years ago when I was applying for a job and I did not know whether or not to disclose my diabetes at interview. I took some advice on board and did not mention. As it happens I would have not got the job if I had as an employee that was badly controlled and always off sick was also working there. I proved myself as good as anyone else, love the job and have not had a days illness due to diabetes so thank you to that positive person who helped me.
My blds are not wonderful, I do enjoy a glass of wine or two at the end of the week and jiggle my food to have treats BUT it is so much better to feel well and controlled.
Keep posting it really helps!

Reactions: 4 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I first had my pump I always put in on my belt/waistband in it's cool little clip holder. Easy to reach and simple.

I then branched out into wearing dresses with it and I use a 'bra bag' which is soft against my skin and holds the pump really securely. That clips to my bra band under my arm so it's pretty much invisible. Depending on what I'm doing, if access is a problem, I simply use a pen to bolus.

If I have a tight dress on, I use a tubi grip on my thigh with the pump held on the inside of my thigh.

At night I use a soft belt and holder that closes with velcro. I wear that around my waist.

BTW, I understand the bra bag can also be hung off boxers if you're a man. It's not specifically for women.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Long tubes, sets always in bum and pump on my arm. I just change arms/bum cheek approx every 4 weeks.

I wear really tight clothing, yep the pump sticks out a little on my arm but I don't give a ****.

You need a remote control to do this tho...

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi ElleDee I went through exactly the same thoughts in first few months, but stuck with it and now I'd never turn back.

After a while you get used to the pump being around and it becomes second nature to you, but you need to get past the initial worries, give it more time :)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Ellie Dee hasn't posted since 2013.