Why am I so hungry

orchidlady

Hello, I recently been diagnosed but yet to see the nurse, so wondered in the meantime if someone could tell why I am sooo hungry all the time, I feel I want to eat constantly,. it is crazy have felt like this for a few months. Has anyone got a suggestions what what is going on. As posted earlier really new to this been doing lots of reading though :eek:)

helen777

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If you get a good nurse count yourself as lucky, research as much as you can for yourself, you'll have to experiment with different foods to see how they affect you. Good luck with it all

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Orchidlady - my first thoughts when I read your post was that extreme hunger is a good sign, amongst others of course, of the existence of Diabetes. Long before I was diagnosed I had these pangs of hunger which I thought were still the withdrawal symptoms of having given up smoking although that had been a good few years before. In retrospect, I realise that this 'hunger' was an indicator.

Not to worry - the hunger will normally subside when placed on Metformin which many members here will tell you is a good appetite suppressant.

Good luck.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
What are you eating at the moment, whats your daily food menu?

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
orchidlady said:
Hello, I recently been diagnosed but yet to see the nurse, so wondered in the meantime if someone could tell why I am sooo hungry all the time, I feel I want to eat constantly,. it is crazy have felt like this for a few months. Has anyone got a suggestions what what is going on. As posted earlier really new to this been doing lots of reading though :eek:)

Before I was diagnosed and on Metformin I was also constantly hungry and just thought I must be a greedy b****h! I didn't realise it was a symptom of my body being unable to cope with getting that glucose into my cells to give me energy. So i think it stems from a vicious circle of - eating, not processing the glucose correctly and therefore the body interpreting this as us having not eaten enough - so we eat again.

That's my interpretation and I certainly don't feel anything like that level of hunger and constant munching that I did before I started on Metformin. Now I recognise when I've had enough food, I can stop when I feel I've had enough and I don't eat half as much as I did before. Plus my poor digestive tract is having a good rest and is actually working better than it has for years.

:thumbup:

orchidlady

Goodness this is so much to take in. This hunger has been going on for some time, I too though I was just being a greedy git, though oddly have been losing weight, which did not seem quite right. Though though thyroxine levels were finally right
Ee my eating eating porridge with fake sugar breakfast, fruit mid morning, yoghurts, Brown bread sandwich lunch or houmos and bread pita, Not much in the evening. Struggling what to eat a snack that is not carb filled

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
orchidlady said:
Goodness this is so much to take in. This hunger has been going on for some time, I too though I was just being a greedy git, though oddly have been losing weight, which did not seem quite right. Though though thyroxine levels were finally right
Ee my eating eating porridge with fake sugar breakfast, fruit mid morning, yoghurts, Brown bread sandwich lunch or houmos and bread pita, Not much in the evening. Struggling what to eat a snack that is not carb filled

For main meals and snacks try to eat anything that is protein - ie meat, cheese, egg, fish, etc

I find bread sends my BG way up too high and that also kicks of the hunger/eat/hunger cycle so I've cut out bread altogether and replaced with very low carb crackers such as Hovis Crackers, Ryvita or Crispbakes. They're only 3.7g and 6.7g per slice so not anywhere near as high carb as bread.

Go to BOARD INDEX on the forum and scroll down and check out the FOOD AND NUTRITION section. There's lots of info in there about what you could try out in the way of diet. :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Try to reduce reliance on snacks where you can; you can gradually train yourself away from them. Have some nuts handy and some fruit berries such as blueberries etc.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Carbs digest quickly leaving you hungry again - you need proteins & fats which take longer to digest.

Nuts & cheese are good snacks. I find ground almonds a very satisfying food - I normally use it 50/50 with the much cheaper coconut flour - I buy them by the kilo in Indian shops.

I make a porridge with them (without oats) & a cake-bread - basically a sponge cake recipe using the nut flours instead of wheat flour, & without sugar - though I do sometimes add sweetener.

I don't get hungry.

Defren

My favourite snack is Hartley no added sugar jelly which I have with lashings of whipped cream and 5g of chia seeds. Because the cream is a healthy fat I promise it will keep you full for a good while.

One thing I learned when I was diagnosed was just how much cr*p is put into the foodstuff we buy. I now make everything myself, even low carb bread (I have bread rolls in the oven as I type) they are full of healthy, wholesome ingredients and they don't touch my BG. Once you ease your body away from the carb cravings we all had I would guess, your appetite will diminish and you won't be feeling like you are now.

Don't worry about things just now, just focus by 'eating to your meter' what you can and can't tolerate. Some of us tolerate carbs better than others, I don't tolerate them well at all, so eat a very, very low carb diet, but the change in my health and how I feel is nothing short of staggering.

Good luck.

Fraddycat

I usually have babybel cheeses on hand to snack on. They are only small but seem to knock hunger pangs on the head pretty quickly. Also I try to have cold meats on hand or almonds. If I think I might miss a meal or be really late for one, I might have an Atkins bar. I have to be careful with the Atkins bars because the sugar replacement they use can go right through you if you know what I mean ...

wena1958

I am newly diagnosed Type 2 & have found that limiting my Carbs & eating more Protein Fruit/Veg I have stopped the cycle o falways feeling hungry. I can still eat some Bread (Burgens) but if a Sandwich I make an open one using just one slice & popping Chicken or Ham or prawns on top with Salad & no fat Cottage cheese. I have also found that portion control is paramount. Have invested in some Low Carb Cookbooks from Amazon & Ebay and these have cheered Me up & opened my eyes to the Meals I can have rather than what I can't. Good luck