Not open for further replies.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Sarah69 said:
I have been a type 2 (on insulin) diabetic for 15 years. In 2010 I was vomiting all day, (the day before hadnt eaten due to no appetite) had an emergency appointment at GP's she said there was a bug going round and to drink fluids difficult as it was all coming back up, so I went home. After going to bed not being able to sleep I then began having trouble breathing so my son called an ambulance. They came I explained how id been all day, they did their checks and said I was having a panic attack. After a while I managed to breath properly, they said they would call the on call dr who came out to me several hours later. The dr said I was dehydrated and needed to be in hospital so he called an ambulance and said it was non urgent so they came several hours later. Once in hospital blood tests were done and I was diagnosed with DKA. I had never heard of this before and didnt realise how serious it was until my parents came in later that day and told me! It was my fault I had this as I had no appetite and wasn't eating I wasn't injecting my insulin. I do believe that when you are insulin dependant you should be warned of dangers like DKA! My son believes that the paramedics should of taken me to the hospital when he called them just due to being diabetic and being sick every half an hour all day.

That is absolutely APALLING Sarah. But sadly it's very common to be fobbed off, which is what you were, with the 'there's a bug going round' because your GP couldn't be bothered to look into the fact you are diabetic and you were vomiting and add two and two together. None of that was your fault at all, you had no appetite and couldn't eat and you had no idea about DKA because if you GP surgery is anything like mine, you get your blood test, you get your prescription and that's about it. There is a total disengagement between NHS clinicians and patients and it's disgraceful. Your son was absolutely right.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As someone who works for an ambulance service what happened is correct as governed by clinical guidelines for emergency treatment. If your Dr or DN thinks it is an emergency and life threatening then THEY should have made the call and an ambo would have been sent

Sorry clinical guidelines were not correctly carried out in this instance. ( how stupid to expect a DN to dial 999 on your behalf , do they have your house number etc;)

Thank god for GraceK's advice on this matter.

I must learn to calm down.

Roy.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I remember having a suspected DVT in my leg and having to get 2 buses to the hospital to get it scanned.

I hope you are both feeling better now, sending love to you both.

Manodeldios

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who make poor lifestyle choices when they have a choice!
I am Type 1- 35 years - diagnosed 3 yrs old.
Ketones- are extremely dangerous one of my childhood diabetic friends (there were not many of us in those days) died of ketoacidosis bought on by ketones. Ketones are not normal in pregnancy and 24 hours of ketones is life threatening. Your wife needed IV insulin. Once you have ketones your body resists insulin and no matter how much you have it is never enough hence the need for IV to clear quickly. There is a massive difference between a trace of protein and positive ketones. If it happens again call the 24 doctor and they can arrange to get your wife to hospital. Does your wife ordinarily run high sugars? I have had ketones during illness previously and I was vomitting, drifting in and out of sleep, had blurred vision, a headache. All symptoms of ketones and on set of ketoacidosis.

Defren

I have no clue about the NHS policy on getting an Ambulance out. As a T2 I do have ketones, but dietary ketones, so not dangerous. I just wanted to post my good wishes to you and your wife, and hopefully we will be able to share the joy of a new little miracle very soon.

Take care, you have a great many people here rooting for you and thinking of you all.

snufflebabe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That is appualling, although i wont expect much more from either NHS direct or the ambulance service. After being in severe DKA on one incident, my mum was told to give me "Sugar as it wont do any harm", no i suppose it wouldnt harm me as i would have been dead if she had have done. Dont these people having any training in type 1 diabetes or any type for that matter, DKA is dangerous with a capital D. The ignorance towards Type 1 diabetes really makes me angry. I hope your wife is doing well now. :)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All.
I have cleaned this thread up.
Lets all stay and keep on topic please.
Anna.

Defren

anna29 said:
Hi All.
Lets all stay on topic please.
Anna.

Anna, with all due respect, the regs didn't mess up this thread, a new poster/troll did.

Thank you for removing the highly offensive post so quickly, it's appreciated. Jo.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi joanna.
Have to let the deliberate derailing poster know this will
not be acceptable nor will be tollerated.
Deleted regs posts as in off topic response to the derailer and this is
'only reason' why it was done.
Get things back on track ASAP.
Anna.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Defren said:
anna29 said:
Hi All.
Lets all stay on topic please.
Anna.

Anna, with all due respect, the regs didn't mess up this thread, a new poster/troll did.

Thank you for removing the highly offensive post so quickly, it's appreciated. Jo.

I have dropped a line to Anna from a personal perspective Jo. The comment I read has upset me, my daughter has to face predjudice like this all the time.

Back on topic-I think with the exception of a couple of people, we all agree that this was handled appallingly. I do wonder if those that posted that guidelines were being followed would feel the same way if they were in the OP's position? I doubt it somehow.

Anyhow, I'm sure we could all add our experiences of when things go wrong but the main thing is that Dragonflye ( :wave: ) is in the place that should take care of her and bubs. I seriously hope they consider taking this matter further. Good luck to you both xx

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In a more positive note, recently DH had severe chest pains and tingling and the ambulance crew were there in minutes and were fantastic.

He was OK, it was not a heart attack, but it could have been.

Defren

ladybird64 said:
I have dropped a line to Anna from a personal perspective Jo. The comment I read has upset me, my daughter has to face predjudice like this all the time.

(((Angie))). Sorry for the OT post but I know Angie needs a little support right now, and I'm sure the OP won't mind a wee hug. Actually to keep it on topic (((OP))). There we go. :D

lightwolfe

I've made an official complaint to the Ambulance Service and the hospital for everything they did that was not right.
ive also filed for a petition to increase awareness of diabetes for medical staff and 999 operators. it wont go anywhere but it feels like im being productive.

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
lightwolfe said:
I've made an official complaint to the Ambulance Service and the hospital for everything they did that was not right.
ive also filed for a petition to increase awareness of diabetes for medical staff and 999 operators. it wont go anywhere but it feels like im being productive.

I haven't commented before in this thread but I just wanted to say I'm really glad you have filed a complaint etc - like you said, it may not go anywhere, but it definitely would not go anywhere if you said nothing at all, so I'm glad you've done it! Ignorance about diabetes among the general public is one thing, but when it's ignorance among people in whose hands we are placing our lives and the lives of our loved ones, well, that's an entirely different matter and needs to be fixed!

Also I hope things are going well with you, your wife and your little ones!

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ladies, defren/ ladybird .
This is a perfect example of how and why moderating IS needed.
We 'do' understand completely how an offensive post can be so
distressing and upsetting to others.
We do try our best to keep things calm and stable in the debates and discussions
in the forum.
It is needed and warranted at times like this!
Anna.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
lightwolfe said:

Good for you lightwolfe ... that's a brilliant way to go forward. And the important thing to remember is that you and everyone else here who is supporting you are not doing so out of malice but to try to improve services for EVERYONE. It's called Patient Participation and it's very necessary. :thumbup:

keefyboyuk

Lightwolfe, please don't think your complaint will be brushed aside and nothing done. I had an episode a couple of years ago with the way I was treated by a hospital and their lack of training which obviously was missing. I sent all the facts and my evidence and I was contacted by firstly someone from the complaints department, then by the person a manager who was looking into and would be independent from the department concerned. She investigated and found in my favour (I was not after a payout or anything i just wanted to highlight the problem) she interviewed all involved and then looked into what had gone wrong and why. The result was that she found that the staff were not trained for this particular problem, they did not know how to deal with it because they were unaware of treatment for it. This included some doctors as well as, and things were put into place to ensure it never happened again. Training was updated and this problem would never happen again (hopefully) I was visited at home to explain their findings and what they intended to do, and invited to the hospital to make sure it was being implemented. Something that I unfortuneately again experienced first hand and this time they did know what to do and how to treat it. I made the complaint so that noone else would have to go through what I did.
Sometimes unless people do complain then they do not see their failings. So this has done good, so don't despair

I do not work for the NHS or anything, but my wife has renamed me to Keith "The Moaner" ******* and I get results, I don't care who I upset to get things put right so others don't suffer.

Defren

anna29 said:
We do try our best to keep things calm and stable in the debates and discussions
in the forum.
Anna.

Sorry Anna you've lost me. I have never questioned nor would I the need for moderation. My point was simply that this thread was rolling along nicely, no problems at all, until a troll jumped from under it's bridge to rattle cages. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Jo

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Defren said:
anna29 said:
in the forum.
Anna.

Sorry Anna you've lost me. I have never questioned nor would I the need for moderation. My point was simply that this thread was rolling along nicely, no problems at all, until a troll jumped from under it's bridge to rattle cages. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Jo

Joanna.
its a post of support!!! to both you and ladybird :)
Not a reply to any quizzical query from you. [as there wasnt/isnt any]
You follow what I mean and refer to now?
This is the function of a mod to support and help keep things calm from attempts
to rattle cages or derail threads.
Anna.

Defren

anna29 said:
Defren said:
anna29 said:
in the forum.
Anna.

Jo

Joanna.
its a post of support!!! to both you and ladybird :)
Not a reply to any quizzical query from you. [as there wasnt/isnt any]
You follow what I mean and refer to now?
This is the function of a mod to support and help keep things calm from attempts
to rattle cages or derail threads.
Anna.

Gotcha - thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.