bananas

phjones55

I recieved a leaflet from DN givingadvice on what to eat,with a list of foods deemed ok,on this list was bananas,so I typed in to google the question are bananas ok and all the sites I read gave a thumbs up so I eat a funsize (small) banana,this was the only food I eat that morning 2hrs later I did a Bs reading and it was 11.7 is it just me or have other people had similar problems with recommended foods

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, it's not just you. And eating then checking on your meter how food affects you is really the only way to find out. Just because something appears in a list of "ok to eat" foods won't necessarily means it won't affect your BG. Bananas are a starchy fruit with a high carbohydrate, so it's a food I avoid.

Porridge is a huge no-no for me, but it works for other people. Only way to know is to keep testing.

Cheers,

foxy123

oh dear i just had a banana ive only been diagnosed about two weeks ago and dont think ive quite got it .I thought i was being good eating melon the other day and test with my newly purchased monitor to find a reading of 11.2 wish i could find something to snack on thats ok not easy is it !

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I laughed when I read this.
There is an FAQ on a website for people with LADA, 'Can I eat bananas?' I always thought it was a bit of an odd question for a FAQ.
This is their answer
Should I eat bananas?

It depends on the size and ripeness of the banana. A not fully ripe banana is about one third (33%) starch/fiber that can not be digested, compared to 3% in the most ripe banana. So the amount of carbohydrate/glucose absorbed into the blood depends very much on the ripeness of the banana. A very big ripe banana will give a quick release of a large amount of sugar, push blood glucose levels up rapidly. This might be good for very low blood sugar, but is too much for a snack. The glucose levels of a big ripe banana might be equivalent to that of a meal. A small greenish banana would just give enough glucose for a snack, keeping blood glucose stable, and giving some fibre.
http://www.locallada.swan.ac.uk/faq.html
Personally, I don't eat them so it hasn't concerned me. As Indy says you need to see how it affects you, but when choosing your banana, it's worth bearing the above answer in mind.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
phjones55 said:
I recieved a leaflet from DN givingadvice on what to eat,with a list of foods deemed ok,on this list was bananas,so I typed in to google the question are bananas ok and all the sites I read gave a thumbs up so I eat a funsize (small) banana,this was the only food I eat that morning 2hrs later I did a Bs reading and it was 11.7 is it just me or have other people had similar problems with recommended foods

It would appear bananas are not for you phjones if your fasting bg was within your normal range, as a type 1 on insulin I can eat 1-2 bananas a day but most type 2's do find bananas a no-go.

Klang180

Purely as a T1 bananas are a definetly a go go for me. I can eat 3-4 a day and often do. They are a good source of carbs for me as they release relatively slowly and are thus easy to cover with Humalog.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a diet only T2 and i cant eat bananas anymore. I spike to around 11 after 2 hours when I have even half a small one.

However, I can eat apples and small amounts of fresh oranges.

we are all different.That is why i test any new food or food combination. What is Ok for some of us, is not OK for others.

Virgo123

I cant eat bananas. I spike into orbit.
But I will eat some low carb fruit with plain yoghurt for the bit of protein.

mattr

But what was your BG when you ate the banana?

I have a banana with an hours walking, BG usually remain unchanged!

If you hada nice and low BG when you ate the banana, perhaps you had too much for you and maybe you could get away with half a really ripe banana instead.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
One must consider the value of bananas for Potassium.

A diabetic must not eat them black but firm, yellow and dry.

There are hundreds of varieties of bananas I just cannot understand anyone eating the small dark green
variety - it is like eating wood - also they never ripen as we would expect in the UK

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oranges/mandarins are a very good source of potassium and lower carb than bananas.

Snodger

foxy123 said:
oh dear i just had a banana ive only been diagnosed about two weeks ago and dont think ive quite got it .I thought i was being good eating melon the other day and test with my newly purchased monitor to find a reading of 11.2 wish i could find something to snack on thats ok not easy is it !
How about raspberries. Lovely and low carb, for a fruit. A whole bowl is still only 5g carbs. And delicious.

Neicy0412

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm T1 and love bananas, I often use them to get my BG up if I'm running a bit low, I have a banana for breakfast every day and often have a banana with blueberries and raspberries and natural yogurt as a desert after my evening meal.they are brilliant :D

jopar

When it comes to banana I think for the diabetic it's a case some can and some can't..

I like banana's but they at times don't like me..

As long as I avoid really ripe banana's I don't get a problem with spiking blood glucose levels, but I do run the risk of a griping stomach though.. So banana's are something I only ever eat occasional..

I can't eat juice based fruits, such as oranges, grapes unless I'm hypo due to they really hit the system fast out stripping an injection..

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All.

If I have a banana - my blood sugars go banana's :roll:

So I steer clear from them - I have a bit of melon with very few about 5/6 grapes.
Buy the kiddies boxes to limit my amount - yet can enjoy the ' bit of fruit ' intake.
Can get 2 cartons of these for a pound !
Plus these are so handy to just pop into my handbag too :D

Anna.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
It's ok to supplant bananas for some with oranges, etc., but please remember that there is a high proportion of the population that cannot take citrus fruits.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
BaliRob said:
It's ok to supplant bananas for some with oranges, etc., but please remember that there is a high proportion of the population that cannot take citrus fruits.
Hmnnn, I wasn't aware of that. Is it an allergy thing?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Quite simply unless the banana is only just ripe and firm it will be high-GI and hence a no-no for a diabetic unless you have very good sugar control as T2 or as a T1 you are prepared to match it with insulin or accept high blood sugar. Although they are nice they are not a good fruit for diabetics and HCPs should not be recommending them without caveats.

Fraddycat

Hi, when it comes to snacks I now avoid fruit, I would go for; a handful of almonds or walnuts, a small piece of cheese, a slice of ham, cherry tomatoes, a piece of cucumber, or sometimes if I am feeling decadent ... a multiseed ryvita thin with a cheesy triangle spread over the top. (just for clarity I would choose one of those things in the list, not all :D )

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Bananas have low GI , B6, fibre and Potassium, etc., make it one of the safest foods for everyone including Type 2 Diabetics. I repeat my warning that the banana should be underripe rather than fully ripe and taken in moderation.