Don't involve yourself in the blame game.

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
NO NO jppm thay are NOT. this is a condition and it can happen to any one at any time it dos not matter if you stuff you face with **** or not it will happen the trick is to know how to controll it. and yes you can sometimes make it hide its self type 2 diabetis is a master at hideing its self but sooner or later it will show its head and come back stronger than ever my family can prove that.

if you are told time after time and by enough people that puting your hand in fire will not hurt would you do it, or would you even listern to them??????????. sorry this weight thing and t2 is **** it is a cover to hide the fact thay dont know y or how this eperdemic of t2 diabetis is happening. may be some of the cemicals thay are puting in to food or the sprays the farmer use is the problem?????? no one knows and (neather do you for a fact). all we can do is try to controll it untill some one can prove why.

Reactions: 2 people

Camilla

Dislikes
Negative people with closed minds.
Hi
Blame is indeed a waste of time and achieves nothing. It is best to be positive and deal with what is happening now. There are after all quite a lot of overweight people who never get diabetes. It all depends on our genes, pre-disposition to it and so on. Once you decide to handle it, educate yourself about diabetes and make the necessary changes to your diet and lifestyle, it can be controlled. You can live a good normal life. I control with diet alone and it took a lot to do it, I know there are certain foods I can never eat again and I have to be vigilant all the time.But the result is worthwhile.

Reactions: 2 people

spmccann

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Camilla Well said, guilt is terribly destructive and does not help. You have to do what you can to improve your own condition.

Hez14

This has been helpful. I was at the diabetes nurse today and was horrified by the way in which I was spoken to and treated. My hba1c has been creeping up and sitting at 9.6 (81) and today I was put on insulin. The nurse basically told me that I was killing myself! And that I was obviousltv eating too much and not enough exercise. I follow a low carb diet and have done so for a year plus now my weight has not shifted much but have lost about a stone still 17st 11lb which I know is still high but I feel I am fighting a loosing battle. I exercise as much as I can. When I told the nurse my concerns she told me it's up to me and it's not her problem if I go out and have a heart attack after leaving the hospital. I feel very sad that nobody wants to listen. I have battled hard with my weight for a long time. I have done lots of reading about diabetes subject and found that obesity happens because the diabetes has already started and been undiagnosed which completely contradicts what the nurses tell you. The nurse also told me that it will now be impossible for me to lose weight as being on insulin will gain me 5-10kgs. I know my thyroid swings about irratically but not enough to be medicated for.is there anyone that could offer any further help or advice. I feel very confused by encounter today. Thanks in advance heather

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hez, have you looked at the Thyroid UK website? An underactive thyroid and diabetes often occur together.

I have never had a thyroid reading outside of the normal range, but I had/have many of the symptoms - thinning hair, dry skin, inability to lose weight, heavy periods, mood swings, depression - and so on. Thyroid UK has a comprehensive list of symptoms. Fortunately I am blessed with a wonderful GP who listens to me, not the textbooks, and started treating me for subclinical hypothyroidism. I now take 100mg of Levothyroxine a day

Sadly, it hasn't helped the weight problem much, but I feel so much better in myself. Usually by this time of year I was feeling suicidal, but I think a combination of the Levothyroxine and extra Vitamin D (which I take all year round, 2400IU of VitD3 in the summer and twice that in the winter) has really helped me. Have a look at the site, see if you fit into the list of symptoms, and then go discuss "subclinical" with your GP. A low dose won't hurt you - I started on 25mg and worked up to 100mg, which I am now settled on.

As for weight loss - just how low-carb are you? The diet I use - Viv's Modified Atkins Diet - is a Sticky Thread on the Low Carb section of the forum. I know from experience that if I go over 70g carb daily I will put on weight :shock: . I do occasionally "sin" :oops: but generally I try to stick to less than 50g daily, and I am slowly but surely losing weight. Exercise helps, of course, but I can't do much - if I could it would probably go a bit quicker.

Don't be afraid of insulin - there are plenty of Type 2s on insulin, and it can make life very much easier. It is possible to lose weight while on insulin - Sid Bonkers has done it, for one, and he's now off insulin. He did a post about his story on another thread yesterday - worth looking at. If I can find it, I'll let you know where it is.

Finally - what a horrible negative nurse! Don't let her get you down - while you're with your GP, you could say how much the nurse has upset you. I would! I occasionally burst into tears all over my GP, which works wonders - things happen really fast if I do that! :lol:

Anything else you want to moan about, come on this site. We're here to help each other! :D

Viv 8)

Sid's post is on a thread called New Diagnosed Type 2 Information Leaflets, in the Newly Diagnosed section. Do have a look.

Hez14

Hi viv. Many thanks for your lovely reply I will certainly look into the thyroid website I have many of the symptoms that you mentioned.

I try and stick to around 60grms of carbs a day I will try and drop it down to the 50grms everything is such a mine field out there.

I will look at the thread you mentioned also. Feel better today and a bit more positive. Thanks again heather x

susanmanley

Although you want the medical staff to be truthful with you they don't need to be blunt and upsetting. Definitely mention to your GP how you feel

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi I am a newbie and can't offer any advice but I'm sorry about the rat bag nurse and send you all the best wishes and hope things get better real soon, and in a very macho way I send my first ever online ***hug*** :)

volaer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Don't like pricking...
Always think positive. I think the best part is you'll have a sure ball diet system from now on. I am big and fat. But when I started to have a diabetes, I am always positive that it's a perfect time to get rid of extra weight from then on. I am slowly reducing. And now, many people are saying that I look a lot younger now. :) Woohoo... :)

So stop blaming yourself. I don't blame myself. I don't blame my parents either for being diabetic which increased my chance by 100% getting it. Just be positive and just think about what it can do for you.

susanmanley

I agree that being positive is very important but also remember there is nothing 'wrong' in being a bit 'down' and fed up sometimes, the important thing is to find ways not to stay low.

Although I was devastated when I was diagnosed, even though I was expecting it, I worked hard through finding information and talking to others to get control of the situation
Once I felt in control I was able to be much more positive

A lot due to this great site

LaserMum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hez, your nurse sounds like a right b**ch!
I agree with Viv on the subclinical hypothyroidism. My thyroid tests are always borderline by the NHS guidelines but they're really high by some standards. I also had ALL the symptoms listed on the NHS website and I went to see my doctor with web printouts, etc. to back me up. He rang the consultant at the hospital to confirm that a low dose of Levothyroxine couldn't cause any harm and started me on it to see how it goes. I'm now on 75mg of Levothyroxine a day. It has helped although I think I have a bit further to go on that. I don't know how much my tiredness and skin problems are due to diabetes and how much to hypothyroidism so I'm just waiting to see how things go and whether I'm going to be able to lose much weight. Oh, and I also have Obstructive Sleep Apnoea so that's just peachy - now how tired can one gal get?!
Hope everything goes well with you.

:D

Hez14

Hi lasermum. I wrote to my doctor and explained I was unhappy with the way the nurse spoke to me and asked for investigation into the subclinical hypothyroidism. I've started on insulin for 10 days now and find its keeping me awake so hopefully it will settle down soon. My sugars are all over the place just now I just don't know if I'm coming or going. Hoping to here from the doctor soon.

Thanks heather

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Hez14

Thanks volaer and susanmannly I'm focusing on getting sugars down. Contacted a nutritional that deals specifically with diabetes so that's helping my weight is coming off slowly so it's going the right way. Sugars are all over the place just now. Having accupuncture too which is helping. Thanks for your replies heather

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I hope you go on okay, Heather. Let us know what the doctor says :D .

Viv 8)