Don't involve yourself in the blame game.

Steve08

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Newcastle United
All i was trying to say you don't have to be overweight eat unhealthy to get diabetes and as far as i know i am the first person to get diabetes. When i was first diagnosed they said it was age related.

controller

Hi Steve08,

There are many factors, which can cause the onset of diabetes. One such factor is age related. I have heard of children who were born with diabetes! Diabetes can strike at anytime and I know of people who are 80 years and older who got diabetes at this time in their lives.

There is a lot of literature, medication and advice available on diabetes, but as I have said before, for anyone who has this nasty disease, the best you can actively apply is CONTROL.

Control, involves self testing your BGL via a monitor, adjusting your diet to ensure that there is no added sugar to it, some exercise if you can manage it, losing weight if you are overweight, cut out drinking and smoking and, of course medication.

Please bear in mind that diabetes can affect all your major organs, your five senses and it can kill you.

CONTROL is the name of the game. Do not stop until you have mastered control over your diabetes. This is a winnable challenge.

whiterabbit

catherinecherub said:
whiterabbit said:
Hi,

I've only just come across this thread and whilst I don't believe self blame is constructive, I do believe in most cases Type 2 diabetes is caused by lifestyle and eating habits. I know 5 people (one of whom is my dad) who have Type 2 diabetes and all of them have lived / live an indulgent lifestyle. All are overweight, all of them like to drink quite heavily, eat high fat and high sugar foods and this surely is the cause of them becoming diabetic?

One of the people I mentioned above however has decided she doesn't want to live that life and suffer unnecessarily if she can help it. She altered her eating habits, taken on a well structured fitness regime and since then her GP has decided she no longer requires medication for her diabetes OR cholesterol.

So I think there are diabetics out there (not all) who are suffering as a result of what they have been putting in their mouths and living a life with minimal activity. And it's these folk that need to recognise this, take responsibility and do something about it if they can.

I bring my 4 year old daughter up to make sure she has a healthy balanced diet and active life. I don't want her to have diabetes or any other health problem that is often caused by the way some folk in society live. I ensure that the whole family eat well and try to be as active as we can and in comparison I see folk give their kids fizzy drinks and junk food and wonder why their kids are overweight, hyper and often more unwell.

This may not sit well with some folk on here and it's not my intention to insult anyone, but this is my opinion that I feel quite strongly about.

I think you need to learn a bit more about Type2 diabetes before you decide what causes it. You are basing your assumptions on people you know. I am sure we all know people who eat loads of junk food and sugary drinks who do not have diabetes. If you were to read around these boards then you would see that there are all manner of things that can cause Type2. It may be medication for other conditions, stress, genetics, age to name a few.

You yourself have genetic markers, your dad is Type2, and it maybe that later on in your life you will become a Type2.

This thread is called "Don't involve yourself in the Blame Game" but you seem to think we are nearly all to blame. :crazy: What would you say to the people like you who ate what was considered a healthy diet and then became a Type2 diabetic?

Do you read the Daily Mail?

I'm merely voicing my opinion so I wold be grateful if you didn't resort to judgmental comments (Daily Mail Jibe and BTW, I'd only read that if I was into xenophobic fiction!!).

In my post I said
"I do believe in most cases Type 2 diabetes is caused by lifestyle and eating habits."
I understand that some people with type 2 diabetes have it as a result of genetics etc.

I'm going from medical fact that eating an unhealthy (high sugar, high fat diet) increases your chances of developing type 2 diabetes. You only needs to see the correlation between modern day food processes, the change in lifestyle in society in general and the increase of type 2 diabetes to question whether how we as a society live is causing this.

If you look at certain ethnic groups and their records for diabetes, you'll see that in certain cases this is a result of change in dietary eating habits. Take for example the Native Americans who originally lived a high fibre, low GI, more natural diet. When wheat was introduced in the 20th Century, this began to change dramatically and cases of diabetes began to appear whereas before it was unheard of.

I'm not pointing the finger at all diabetics and saying you've only got yourselves to blame but we all need to look at the current situation the world is facing. Diabetes is pretty much a pandemic so we need to look at why. Surely what we're putting in our bodies and the way we are treating ourselves has had some impact on the significant increase in number of cases of type 2 diabetes.

Concerning the people who are around me filling their faces with alcohol, unhealthy foods (and very generous quantities) and generally not looking after themselves, are diabetic as a result of the way they have chosen to live. My dad is Type 2 because of his lifestyle. His parents and generations before them were not diabetic and I am fully aware of the risks and chances of me becoming diabetic so this is why I am mindful of what I eat and how I choose to live. There have been many cases whereby people who have become type 2 diabetic manage to reverse the condition or manage it sensibly by changing their diet and level of physical activity. So therefore surely if some people can reverse this through lifestyle change then there's a significant chance it was their eating habits beforehand that caused the problem?!

controller

To the most recent commentators, I did say that "there are many factors which can cause the onset of diabetes."

The other point to make is that people who have been diagnosed with diabetes would tend to focus on what actually caused it in their particular case; simarily if a relative or friend has diabetes.

I do not think that it is helpful saying that someone must learn more about type 2 diabetes. What about those folk who suffer with type 1?

The fact of the matter is that whether you or someone you know has diabetes, regardless of the cause, we have to deal with this disease as effectively as possible.

This should then become our daily modus opperandi. CONTROL, CONTROL, CONTROL.

Recently, I commented on a report by this Site that only about 20 to 25% of the UK diabetic population has control over their diabetic condition [types 1 & 2]. By any measure, this is a very alarming statistic.

I would urge everyone who has diabetes to immediately take CONTROL. it would be wonderful to read that 100% of the diabetic population have control over diabetes!!!!

Steve08

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Newcastle United
I agree information on diabetes should be more readily available and more people educated on diabetes whether they have diabetes or not and clear all myths and clear up all false information.

whiterabbit

I agree with you 100% Controller!

Steve08, I do think there's a heck of a lot of info on diabetes readily available on the internet and in books, it's just on the internet you have to sift through some misinformation to get the facts.

Of the people I know who are type 2 diabetic (inlcuding my dad), you can direct them to the information, but you can't make them listen or as Controller suggests, take control! It's up to them and as frustrating as this is for me to see my dad pretty much in self destruct mode, I'm slowly and painfully coming to terms with this fact.

Lozzybabyw

I was a size 10/12. Ate healthy haven't had fizzy drinks in my house 9 years, Salad, veg & fruit eaten with each meal. Junk food was a treat very rare.. Bringing my child up healthy too... I was fit except my back & feet, but was coping through pain killers.. I had one vice.. I smoked.. I gave up 2 yrs ago in July.. Since I gave up smoking..I started going to the gym to keep weight down & improve my back.. I have now got heart racing, difficulty breathing, excess sweating & sleep creeps up even if I'm walking down the street.. This is proven not to be diabetic or anxiety just lucky me! Then this October just gone was diagnosed type 2 diabetic. There are factors that can bring it on & I am now struggling more with my health than I ever have! I will always fight my health, though it is a struggle at times... People get Diabetes for different reasons & it should be about preventing, Managing, educating & supporting each other.... Blame has no place. I don't blame I just do the best I can... That's all we should be doing getting on as best we can & supporting each other Hugs

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Never bought junk food, always cooked from scratch with fresh ingredients, cycled and walked everywhere, ran two houses as in cooking, shopping and cleaning so was getting PLENTY of exercise all my life, rarely sat down before 10pm, no McDonalds, no fizzy drinks in my house during my own childhood and in my own children's childhood.

I suffered a lot of stress in my 40's, early menopause, was in contact with Swine Flu in 2009 suffered severe chest infections, pneumonia, asthma, Meniere's, IBS, angeoedema and anaphylaxis. Health started failing very quickly after that, lots of intravenous steroids and other meds ... then I was diagnosed with T2.

Apparently diabetes can also appear as a result of contracting a virus. I know one T1 child whose parents were told her diabetes is a direct result of a virus she caught.

So it is DEFINITELY not always lifestyle/weight related.

controller

There are two common threads going through all the contributors who post comments on diabetes.

One thread is the diagnosis of diabetes, which occurs from a variety of causes. The other thread is the effective treatment of this disease.

I think that it is very concerning that even with the most modern technology, medication and advice on dealing with diabetes, that there is only a small percentage of the diabetic population who can claim they have the disease under control.

I would welcome comments from diabetics who know that they are not controlling their diabetes. Maybe from such comments we who believe we do have control over our diabetes may be able to give some useful advice.

Note that I say "advice." I certainly do not mean criticisms.

Steve08

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Newcastle United
Life doesn't have to stop when you find out you have diabetes i know at first its scary. Once you get to the point of excepting diabetes life doesn't have to change that much you can eat sensibly and still have that slice of cake or chocolate bar. Even though i am pretty much on top of it i do have days where i crash and think sod it but these days as getting further apart and i have a good support from family and friends.

susanmanley

Lozzybabyw I agree with your post and steve08's last one

I am sort of under control but know it will be ongoing as mine developed from Pancretitus. I have those 'sod it' times and have found for me it is best to go with the flow a bit. Because I am type 2 the odd wild toasted tea cake will not kill me I am sure and if I do indulge in a little 'sin' I find I can sustain the the diet for longer each time. but if I keep struggling I eventually go right overboard.

Not only are you controlling and working with the diabetis you are also working with your own needs

controller

Yes, everything in moderation and you really cannot go wrong.

Please remember to monitor your own BGL at least twice daily. Do not let your GP, PCT or anyone else tell you that once or twice per week is "good enough." That is proverbial rubbish [I am being kind here].

Diabetes is a terrible disease and must be controlled. After all, it is our lives, not Cameron and his lot.

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.
Yes i was over weight but as my dr said my mum had it and it was inherited.
I kept getting diabetic scares & he said we could do all sorts of things to try to prevent it because was going to get it in a year or two and i did type 2 lost so far 4st 4lb & i still have diabetes come down from 17-10 to 13-6 & i am careful what i eat but sugars are high at the moment so we do not all ask for DIABETES but we got to make the best of what we got.
BUT WE HAVE TO BEAT IT NOT LET IT BEAT US.

Steve08

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Newcastle United
Absolutely its just people tend to believe you must be over weight to have type two when its not the reason there are many different ways to get it i am 43 and was told it was age related why i got it.

tonya63

i entirely agree with all of the posts. i do not feel at all guilty having diabetes. i am new 2 this condition,diagnose 6wks ago, my daughter-in-law has it & she put me onto this forum. since i have 2 other life threatening conditions that i have coped with since 1997 i take this 1 with the same attitude as the others . i just get on with it. my diabetes is probably inherited from my mother who had it. i am slightly over weight but nothing 2 drastic, once i have sorted out my type of food 2 eat i`m sure i will get right on top of it. problems beset us all in life`s journey, my wife also has been recovering from a stroke 11yrs ago has also very high hyper tension has 2 clipped anurysms & so we look after each other, we joke that we r "the blind leading the blind". we r both in our 60`s & we enjoy our lives 2gether. including a very full sex life i might add dispite our health probs. so i say dont feel guilty about anything u might have its all part of the journey. good luck 2 all of u out there with these conditions. :D xxx

tonya63

dear controller, hello. i am very glad that u r interested in my post. thank u. i was born a free thinking, speaking human & will remain so. i will always be up a decent debate that is 1 of the reasons i signed up. i wish 2 learn about my diabetes & help others to do so. once again thank u 4 ur interest.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
The personal remarks about 'myself' are so not needed and unnecessary.
Nor do we do any verbal fights here :)
Hence my edits . Please can we simply remain on topic .

Thanks Anna .

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort
Steve08 said:
... there are many different ways to get it i am 43 and was told it was age related why i got it.

I'm not sure you can get T2 just from being old...