Don't involve yourself in the blame game.

jppm

susanmanley said:
As for growing up...I hope I never do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Read my original post again, properly. Then try and knock the chip off your shoulder and understand my point of view. To deny the truth about the majority of type 2's is ridiculous.

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
jppm said:
susanmanley said:
As for growing up...I hope I never do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Read my original post again, properly. Then try and knock the chip off your shoulder and understand my point of view. To deny the truth about the majority of type 2's is ridiculous.

I suggest you do some reading and inform yourself on the real causes of T2 diabetes...

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14046739.php

jppm

Yes I have read that opinion of one unqualified person in the states.
The fact is if you lose weight and exercise then you will bring your diabetes under control.
The fact is that most people that develop type 2 are overweight and unfit. Fat and lazy.
For the most part we have brought it upon ourselves.
There is no denying it, don't make excuses for me.

Reactions: fieldsing

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
There is no doubt that if a T2 diabetic is overweight or obese that loosing that weight will significantly help that T2 diabetic to lose their visceral fat which will reduce their insulin resistance which will ultimately lead to better control.

I know that was true in my case as after losing over 4 stone my HbA1c dropped from 12% to 5% and since now losing a little over 5 stone my control remains stable at present and I will endeavour to keep that weight off although I am unable to exercise much due to arthritis.

However, losing weight is not an easy thing to achieve and it requires dedication and commitment in my case the motivation came from my diabetic diagnoses but not everyone reacts the same way and others may not get the motivation they need just from their diagnosis.

It is also worth remembering that whilst 80% of newly diagnosed diabetics are overweight that only 20% of overweight/obese people will develop diabetes so there is obviously something else going on here other than just overeating, whether it is genetic as some think is open to debate I think as many people who develop T2 diabetes have no family history of the condition.

My own view is there are probably many reasons, some as yet unknown, why T2 diabetics develop the condition but that doesnt mean that losing weight wont help those who are overweight or obese, it may not have been the reason why they developed the condition but as sure as eggs is eggs it doesnt help it and is probably a contributing factor in some cases.

So accusing T2 diabetics who are over weight of being fat and lazy and causing their own suffering is wrong and does not help anyone but then neither should there be any doubt that any overweight diabetic will not benefit hugely from loosing weight.

So lets not fight against each other as name calling really doesnt help anyone and at the end of the day we struggle enough with the media and non diabetics take on our condition, this is a support group after all so lets support each other to gain better control and those who are overweight to lose a bit.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Well said, SId :thumbup:

I just wonder if jppm has read the original post on this thread?

Viv 8)

jppm

To put it another way, if one stays fit and slim are you more or less likely to become Type 2 diabetic ?
Those overweight people who haven't yet been diagnosed are just that. They have it but don't know it yet or they are developing it and will be diagnosed as they get older. Why on earth do you think all the warnings are out there in the media ? It is a ticking time bomb and we are just the tip of the iceberg. There's no point in looking elsewhere, we each are largely masters of our own destiny. So own it and take charge , It's natural to feel a bit depressed when first diagnosed but it won't help your cause to look for excuses or reasons why which don't exist. So it's far better to face up to reality and get on with it. For the vast majority it is our own fault.

bluebea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed 4 weeks ago and have lost a stone in weight. I am still obese, due to the fact that I was housebound with slipped discs and couldn't walk for the pain. I've been popping pills for years and then went on to morphine patches, and eventually 3weeks ago I had some injections in my back and the pain has gone from down one side.(it's temporary but wonderful) So now I can go out and get fresh air, and pretty soon, when I've been weaned off the morphine, I'll be able to resume swimming.(I used to swim 1mile three times a week).

I think I've probably had undiagnosed diabetes for some time, and since I've started on metformin and had half of my back fixed I've got a rush of energy which was missing from my life before.

This whole thing was a shock to the system, the first doctor I saw just said you've got diabetes here's a prescription. I saw my own doctor yesterday and he's going to set up appointments with various nurses, diaticians, foot people etc, such a relief not to have to trail through the internet trying to find out what to do.

My doctor recommended this site to me, he knows I'm a chicken/fish/veg/fruit person so the changes to my diet will be minimal. Mainly, the number of meals is baffleing. When I worked I never had lunch, but a big breakfast and big meal at night. Now I'm finding it difficult to fit in a meal in the middle of the day (not hungry) and snacks as well. I'm hoping that when I speak to the 'experts' this whole thing will fall into place.

I suppose I do blame myself for this, even though I couldn't walk above half a dozen steps. I blame my body for letting me down when I've tried to look after it.

My blood results came back at 12.5 and I have no idea what that's all about, except that it's double what it should be. I'm type2 and don't know whether I should be testing my blood myself, and if so which sort of machine thing should I buy, or will I get one from the doctor's nurse on prescription.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm just confused about the whole thing.

jppm

Well done Bluebea, you obviously have a can do approach. You will have to buy your own test kit and follow the guidelines.
I am sat here with a slipped disc myself ! I don't think we have evolved enough yet to walk upright.
Stay positive, you are on the right path. This is a new way of life, not just for Christmas. Be proud of your weight loss so far and keep going. You know you owe it to your self.
There is loads of info all over the Internet and from your surgery. It eventually comes together but it doesn't happen overnight.
Well done !

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
jppm said:
Those overweight people who haven't yet been diagnosed are just that. They have it but don't know it yet or they are developing it and will be diagnosed as they get older.

Well I was trying to be diplomatic in my previous reply but clearly you want to believe what some uninformed newspaper journalists choose to write about a subject they know nothing about, if you want to check some facts instead of what is written in the Sun and The Daily Mail here are some facts for you.

80% of newly diagnosed T2 diabetics are overweight, that means that 20% are not so how do you account for their condition? Are they waiting to become fat perhaps?

And saying that every overweight person is merely undiagnosed or waiting to become diabetic is possibly the single most misinformed opinion I have ever read.

Being overweight is obviously not something anyone would aspire to be but millions of people are overweight and the vast majority of them will never ever become diabetic because being overweight does not cause diabetes.

Perhaps you would like to share where you have seen/read this information as I have read quite a lot about diabetes since being diagnosed but never read anything that claimed to know exactly why or how diabetes develops.

There are certainties in this life like death and taxes as Mark Twain once remarked but being overweight does not guarantee one becoming diabetic, it may increase ones chances by a small percentage but thats all. The cause of T2 diabetes is complex and not yet understood and to blame it on obesity is incorrect.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
anna29 said:
I too am now sure - 'stress' could be a factor .
After battling pneumonia AND septis infections off in feb 2009

My body spent 10months in fight mode - then -
I was floored to be told 'diabetes' life for me :shock:

It took me 6months to adapt and adjust to it all :roll:

Anna.
Obese - me moi mein ??? I am a type2 - jppm ...

I had lost almost 2 stone due to the illnesses I battled off 'NOT' from any diet ...
Illness and tiredness made my appetite lack in taste or needs .

Am tiny boned and framed anyway, always have been so .
Can't deal/cope with carbs as wheat intolerant due to my bowel disease's .
Can only tollerate and handle small portions to digest easier .

Was 9stone 4lbs before all the illness - and with insulin/victoza am back there at this now :)
Think I have hit a plateau at this weight now , as I have been this weight for over the last 12months .

Anna.

jppm

Sid Bonkers said:
80% of newly diagnosed T2 diabetics are overweight,

And saying that every overweight person is merely undiagnosed or waiting to become diabetic is possibly the single most misinformed opinion I have ever read.

being overweight does not cause diabetes.

Perhaps you would like to share where you have seen/read

You said it yourself, 80% are overweight. I never said everyone, but the majority.

Being overweight does cause diabetes, where could I have read that ?

You have probably read this report already which states 80/85% causation of type 2 is OBESITY. On page 9 in case you missed it the first time around.

http://diabetes.org.uk/Documents/Reports/Diabetes-in-the-UK-2012.pdf

Your deliberate misquote does you no justice, I never said every overweight person. I refer to the overweight people who have not yet been diagnosed.

jppm

Well done Anna29, please stay as well as you can. No, you're not like the majority of us, you're not in the 80 % who are obese.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
jppm said:
No, you're not like the majority of us, .
What majority do you speak of yourself here in this sentence jppm ?
Am curious now ...!
Your profile states yourself as type2 on oral only.
Anna.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
jppm said:
You have probably read this report already which states 80/85% causation of type 2 is OBESITY. On page 9 in case you missed it the first time around.

http://diabetes.org.uk/Documents/Report ... K-2012.pdf

Page 9 talks about risk factors NOT CAUSE....

Your comments re obesity causing diabetes is not only ill informed but is really quite offensive to those who are struggling to lose weight they do not need to hear from you or anyone else that it was all there own fault, which it is not.
Have you actually read what this thread is about?

jppm said:
Your deliberate misquote does you no justice, I never said every overweight person. I refer to the overweight people who have not yet been diagnosed.

Deliberate misquote? What you insinuated was that every overweight person was diabetic but either didnt know it or hadnt yet been diagnosed which IMHO is absolute rubbish :lol:

In case you have forgoten what it was you actually said here is a direct quote:

jppm said:
Those overweight people who haven't yet been diagnosed are just that. They have it but don't know it yet or they are developing it and will be diagnosed as they get older.

No, no misquote there at all is there?

jppm

Well, you obviously choose to remain of the same opinion. That's your view.

One last try, read up on the definition of risk factor in epidemiology, because I don't think you have grasped it yet.
Read the sentence you quoted me again, grammatically. You may not be able to grasp that either, if not please come back to me and I will try to spell it out for you.

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
i'am type 2 on insulin 4x daily so are my 6 brothers and my sister my mother and farther are all so type 2 on insulin and so was my dads grandparents, none of us is overweight. please give me your oppinion on how all my family has type 2 when weight in not the problem???????. (NOT ALL OVERWEIGHT PEOPLE ARE DIABETIC AND NOT ALL T2 ARE OVERWEIGHT) my family history says this weight thing and t2's is ****.

susanmanley

It is a shame this thread has got confrontational. I thought it was started to help us not feel so much to blame

Shall we start again :D :D :D :D

please