Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All .

How often do you get offered Podiatry footcare appointments?
Are you happy with your footcare or not?

Anna.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Not been offered anything ! My feet are awful ! Heels cracked and very dry ! I asked about foot care but the nurse just took my socks off and stabbed my feet and said "can you feel that?" Well of course I could lol ! So she said they're fine !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Every diabetic should have an annual check up for their feet with an overall foot consideration given, but also the pulse in each foot, and sensation with the stabbing test.

Ask if your surgey does self referrals for podiatry..!ours does for podiatry and physiotherapy.

twinkle1980

So far very happy. I mentioned an ingrown nail to the dsn (usually "sprt" it myself) as I wanted advice knowing diabetics can have foot problems and she made an immediate referral to the podiatrist. It's a 3-6 week wait but that's fine by me. I'll update when I have seen them.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Please be aware...."can you feel that?" Well of course I could lol ! So she said they're fine !.... Some diabetics cant feel sensation in their feet... Some persons end up having amputations...

Neicy0412

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have a six monthly podiatry check up after being referred by my GP, however I have very little feeling in my feet although they appear to be in good condition, I can't feel vibration or hot or cold and I do have pain due to nerve damage, I have had T1 for 15 years and was only offered this care because of these issues, prior to this I just had my feet checked at my annual check.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Once a year, very happy with the level of care :)

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I have never been asked. I attend a hospital clinic and they have podiatrist rooms there. I have the usual foot check ups annually, but I have dry skin and ingrowing toe nails, I wouldn't mind someone cutting them for me as I find it difficult or even have some sort of surgery to get rid of them! I also now have a toe that's gone a completey brown colour, it only used to be the top part of my nail!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sarah69 said:
I have never been asked. I attend a hospital clinic and they have podiatrist rooms there. I have the usual foot check ups annually, but I have dry skin and ingrowing toe nails, I wouldn't mind someone cutting them for me as I find it difficult or even have some sort of surgery to get rid of them! I also now have a toe that's gone a completey brown colour, it only used to be the top part of my nail!

Ask your hospital clinic or gp to refer you to a Podiatrist, I had both my big toe nails removed several years ago and it was the best thing I'd done, like you they were ingrowing so the Podiatrist suggested total removal.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I certainly will when I go again. I guess your toenails grew back?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sarah69 said:
I certainly will when I go again. I guess your toenails grew back?

No they don't grow back, they kill the root of the nail by applying an acid once the nail is removed, in time the skin becomes hard where the nail once was.

The whole process only takes around 20 -30 mins and they dress the toe after surgery, you do need to change the dressing regularly for a few weeks after whilst keeping it dry, the anesthetic injection is uncomfortable beforehand but that's about it.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Oh right I don't think I'd want that done then. I'd never be able to wear sandles or flip flops or paint my toenails again!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Diabetics can self refer to their local podiatry service. I've done this once, for an ingrowing toenail. I'm prone to them because of my Morton's feet. I learned, by watching carefully, how to deal with the problem myself and haven't needed their help for years. However, T1 husband is nearing the end of a long treatment for a severe diabetic foot ulcer. The care and treatment have been excellent! they put the foot in plaster to the knee and weekly, removed plaster, debrided ulcer and replastered. Ulcer WAS 10 x 8 mm surface area and 20mm deep. It's now gone. Ido hope they scan to see how well the inside has healed. Antibiotics since September have messed up his gut though.
Hana

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sarah69 said:
Oh right I don't think I'd want that done then. I'd never be able to wear sandles or flip flops or paint my toenails again!

Quite... :)

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP didn't mention it, despite me having gone to see him about pains and cramps twice since summer. All I got was one A4 sheet in a pack from the local NHS with useful advice like buy shoes of the correct length and a bold statement, it is not necessary to see a podiatrist just because you have diabetes with an immediate get out clause, to contact the Podiatry dept immediately if you have any swelling or pain.

I've had so many problems with my feet, not helped by some osteo arthritis, I bought one of those electric massager thingies, a Revitive IX. They are ludicrously expensive but I bought it more a a pampering type device, to make myself feel better. Warm water massagers are OK but they are only skin deep really. Electrical impulses can be deep within the foot, or calf or thigh.
http://www.revitive.com/products/revitive-ix/
It also doubles as a tens machine and comes with pads.

There are 4 contact zones on each footpad and placing one foot on each pad complete a circuit. You can feel the impulses which switch different circuits on and off and in different patterns. It's quite funny if you don't turn it up too high. It just causes various muscles to twitch but should stimulate blood flow in the region. Keeping my feet warm and using this machine has improved things. If you are lucky enough to have a whirlpool bath or a high powered shower, I guess you'd get a similar, but not as deep, massage. Again, you need time, 30 mins a day. At least you can use it watching TV.