New to pumping - Question about hair.

Hi All,

I'm brand new here, so be gentle!

I'm a Type 1 diabetic, have been type 1 for the last 27 years, and after changing PCT, the new hospital has put me on a pump, which I'm due to start in 2 weeks! Exciting!

A question about the infusion sets - I have a ... well a hairy belly. Like gorilla hairy (Yes, I'm male). Do I need to shave it? How long before I put an infusion set in should I shave it?

Ta!

Squirrel.

sticks71

Hi

Firstly congrats on getting a pump. I'm sure you will soon start seeing the benefits of pump therapy.

In answer to your question, yes you will have to shave the hair right back, otherwise the cannula won't stick properly.

The first time I had a cannula fitted, I shaved the day before to get rid of all the hair. Going on from that, you will probably just need to shave the site that you are going to use on the day.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

iHs

Hi

I'll just add..... get yourself some medical adhesive remover spray as that makes removing infusion sets from the skin fairly painfree. Many companies will send out free samples :wink:

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had to do the same and still do - its an easy trade.

Gregoir

I just use SWMBO disposable razor while in the bath. I alternate sides of my belly and shave the anticipated sites. A couple of days of growth does not stop the canulla sticking. Just remember to rinse the bath afterwards_ I forgot!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Try your bum.... Less hair and really comfortable place to wear sets. Dont put them in directly in the bum area that you actually sit on. I do mine whilst sat down, so never hit the seating area....