How often should I get a HbA1c test?

L

Luna21

I recently had my second HbA1c test and it has gone from 62 in January to 48 at the beginning on this month.
My diabetes nurse says that as I seem to have 'things' under control ie lower weight, lower cholesterol (down from 5.9 to 3.4) that I don't have to get another HbA1c test done for 6 months.

I was wondering if this is too long a time span?
How many tests does the average diabetic get in a year? I am happy that going by my home bg tests my glucose levels are acceptable, but I know that the HbA1c done at the surgery is the most important, and is far more accurate than any home monitor test.

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
eveshamgal said:
6 months is usual if the haven't got any concerns about your results.

I agree with that.

I'm currently getting one every 3 months but that's because I'm struggling to get good control and I've only been on insulin a couple of months.

L

Luna21

Thanks, that's reassuring to know that my GP practice is following the norm. :)

KennyS

Luna, while every 6 months is a standard practice, if you are still trying to change your diet and lifestyle to lower that even more then I would ask for it to be done again in 3 months. If you are still changing your diet and aren't doing it with the benefit of regular testing, the more frequent monitoring shouldn't be a problem if you ask. ..... but then again some folks in the NHS are penny wise and pound foolish....

Kenny

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Luna21 said:
I recently had my second HbA1c test and it has gone from 62 in January to 48 at the beginning on this month.
My diabetes nurse says that as I seem to have 'things' under control ie lower weight, lower cholesterol (down from 5.9 to 3.4) that I don't have to get another HbA1c test done for 6 months.

I went down to 48 and I too was told, 6 months before the next one. I would have thought it not unreasonable to do another in 3 months if only to see if things continued to improve and increase my enthusiam and boost my confidence that I was doing the right things.

But the NHS doesn't want patients interfering with the way they do things. It's not there for your benefit.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
KennyS said:
penny wise and pound foolish....

Not heard that expression for ages.

The cost to the NHS of an HBA1c test is only £4.04 and they get £2 back which I have to pay to park when I go for the test.

Penny wise and pound foolish really does sum it up perfectly.

jassi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm diet-only control and have persuaded my practice that I need one done every 3 months in order to stay well controlled. I'm not prepared to wait 6 months to see if there have been any deterioration - indeed longer, as 2 consecutive readings don't establish a trend.
As I don't cost them anything in medication and don't waste their time with pointless appointments, they seem willing to do this (so far)They are still not happy with my home monitoring of bg, but as I buy my own strips, they can't do much about that.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
NICE recommends an annual HBA1c and I think you will find that many posters only have an annual HBa1C test with their annual check if they have stable sugars

jassi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think we know how inadequate NICE guidelines can be. I believe that regular monitoring is one of the keys to good control and it seems unsatisfactory to allow complications to develop simply because the practice hasn't bothered to monitor progress.

L

Luna21

Thanks for all the responses.

Thinking it over, I do believe I am going to ask my GP or nurse to get tested in 3 months time. I am just diet controlled and it would be reassuring to know that my diabetes is actually 'under control' as the diabetes nurse insisted. After all perhaps 4 months is a very short time to be sure of that.

I already have to get monthly blood tests taken for other conditions, so surely adding the HbA1c test isn't going to break their budget. You never know until you ask I guess.

Concorde

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you are constantly trying to manage your levels downwards its important to see what works and what doesn't. As a resullt I go for 3 monthly blood tests. Don't ask permission just make an appointment with the nurse and get it done.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I've had one every 3 months for nearly 3 years. I discussed it with my practice nurse last time and I'm now going on to every 4 months.

The nurse's opinion is that she will carry on giving me them as often as I want until someone tells her to stop!

I've got good control now and pretty well know what I'm doing, but I do find that the regular test help keep me on the straight and narrow. I need them to discipline myself :wink:

If you feel you need them every 3 months, then ask for them. Be prepared to explain why they help you so much.

Viv 8)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Many people only get 1 test per year. I ask for a second, so get every 6 months.
the ideal is probably every 3 months. since red corpuscles , which house the haemoglobin, have a life cycle of about 100 - 120days
Hana