Insulin pump

Jokeeble1987

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I'm type 1 diabetic. Have been for 14 years now. I really want the insulin pump, but I've been told by my consultant I have to do the Daphne's course and if that doesn't work they will think about letting me have one. Anyone else having problems getting one?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
Part of the NICE criteria states that you need to able to carb count and adjust your insulin levels accordingly with what you eat and what your BG is.

Sent from Diabetes.co.uk Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Jokeeble1987 said:
Hi, I'm type 1 diabetic. Have been for 14 years now. I really want the insulin pump, but I've been told by my consultant I have to do the Daphne's course and if that doesn't work they will think about letting me have one. Anyone else having problems getting one?

We often here that a carb counting course such as DAFNE is a prerequisite before going onto a pump, the course itself is really good and spread over 5 days so you have plenty of opportunity to take in what it teaches.

Good luck and hope your successful :thumbup:

leb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I have been on a pump since last August. It is great for me and has improved my control amazingly but I must add that if you dont know how to carb count, work out your ratios etc then a pump is pointless because you need to have this knowledge to be able to use it accordingly.
The whole process can be a long one but if its what you want then its worth the wait.

Jokeeble1987

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I see, so I need to know how to carb count. This explains why I need to do this course. Before I can get a pump.

leb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yep definitely carb counting is a must and to be honest with or without the pump using the DAFNE principles makes controlling your levels muvh esxier