Type 1 and CV Help?

ImCozzaLewis

Hey, I'm 17, recently diagnosed with Type 1 and i'm new too everything, There's so many things I am confused about, I was wondering if there is anything specific I need to put onto my CV?, Like for an employer who is looking at my CV or do i just tell them in the interview or when I get the job??

Thanks soooo much :)

Corey

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Certainly shouldn't be on your CV. Your medical history is private. Certain employers or careers would need to know about it but not all. A lot of people like their employer to know, some don't. You're also covered under the Disability Act so you can't be treated unfairly because of your condition. In short, not on CV, if asked specifically, I would tell them. Up to you though. Good luck !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Jobs are hard enough to find I certainly wouldn't be telling anyone I was diabetic!

QasimH

Hi I think you should tell your employer if you do get the job (fingers crossed you do :) ) mainly for your own well being .. You will find that most employers will be sympathetic towards you especially if your feeling unwell due to a hypo.

Jessicasugar24

Dislikes
Needles!
Hi I have always been honest with my employer, I work in a busy hairdressers in ipswich, and my employer to this day appreciates that I did mention it as he has always been told the truth:) x

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
You medical history and the fact that you are diabetic isn't necessary to go onto a CV.

A lot of employers require you to complete an application form or health questionnaire prior to or once you have accepted a role. It is completely to your own discretion whether you mention it during an interview.

I usually mention it during mine as I'm interested in asking about the companies policy towards medical appointments, it also gives me a chance to explain that I would always provide a lot of notice before an appointment and that I try to have mine as early or as late as possible in the day and I will always make up the time as necessary.

Every employer / interviewer I have had (barring one, whom became my boss after I'd worked at the company for 1.5 years) have been perfectly reasonable (whether I'm just lucky or not, I don't know), I've always found honesty is best. Make sure you inform your employer once you have accepted a role though, to not mention any medical condition that could affect working performance (could include diabetes due to high / low BG Levels and how it may effect you) could be considered breach of contract

Best of luck with everything!

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
I'd say it's probably not worth putting on your CV. Your CV should essentially be your sales pitch. Let's be honest, if you were shopping for a new parasol and on the ad it said 'might fall down occasionally but is good when it stays up' you'd be a bit put off, wouldn't you? :lol:

Keep it to yourself for now, but when you do land a job, let them know then :)