But you can't be diabetic, you're so slim

mpe

ElyDave said:
Deep sigh as i explain yet again that it's t1, and it's an autoimmune condition

There are slim T2s (as well as obese T1s). Something like 1/5 of people diagnosed with T2 are not overweight anyway. There don't appear to be any figures for what proportion of the other 4/5 lose weight...

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
mpe said:
ElyDave said:
Deep sigh as i explain yet again that it's t1, and it's an autoimmune condition

There are slim T2s (as well as obese T1s). Something like 1/5 of people diagnosed with T2 are not overweight anyway. There don't appear to be any figures for what proportion of the other 4/5 lose weight...

I don't think Dave mentioned all T2's being overweight. He only mentioned his mother-in-law. A large proportion of the population as a whole are overweight, T1's, T2's and non-diabetics !

mpe

Andrea616570 said:
The way it was explained to me, a type 1 diabetic (after what they used to call the "honeymoon period") makes NO INSULIN on their own. So it's a pretty safe bet that they must take insulin in one way or another, if they expect to live...
Depending on how fast a T1 loses beta cells (or beta cell functionality) there need not always be a "honeymoon period". (Or it can be long past by the time they get diagnosed.

That, by definition would be a safe way to distinguish type 1 from type 2. Type 2's are harder to nail down because SOME TIMES: they make a bit of insulin, can control with diet alone, need oral meds, don't make any insulin, need to take insulin...or all sorts of combinations of the above, as long an actual paradox is not created.
T2 involves insulin resistance. Which means that cells don't respond as they should to insulin. Thus a T2, even with impaired beta cell functionality, may be producing more insulin than a non diabetic. A strange quirk is that often fat cells do not become insulin resistant (or as insulin resistant) as other cells. Something which may have a lot to do with the association between T2 and obesity. Being unable to use most of the glucose in the diet for respiration it gets converted to fat. But a high blood glucose level, frequently topped up with dietary glucose, inhibits non glucose respiration. Only cells without mitochondria actually "need glucose". (Typically cells use glycolysis to produce pyruvic acid from glucose. The issue with the brain is that only sugars, ketones & alpha hydroxy acids can easily get into neurons.)

Reactions: 2 people

elaine77

Auto immune diabetes and non auto immune diabetes. Really doesn't need to be anymore complicated than that.

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I am also diabetic and slim - I don't think there are any hard and fast rules as to what a diabetic should look like or whether or not they need insulin. I agree you can be type 1 and not on insuln - equally you can be type 2 and take insulin.

I was diagnosed with LADA 18 months ago and put on insulin and metformin - prior to this I was told I was "type 2 - diet controlled" but this was likely to change in the future as it was an auto immune type of diabetes.

I've never been overweight but now I find that I am losing weight due to the fact that I am always counting carbs and therefore reducing the amount of carbs I eat in order to manage my insulin.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
mpe said:
T2 involves insulin resistance. Which means that cells don't respond as they should to insulin. Thus a T2, even with impaired beta cell functionality, may be producing more insulin than a non diabetic.

Is that correct? I would agree with your statement if you are diagnosed pretty soon after the condition appears but surely if as in my case BG's ran uncontrolled for nearly a year the beta cell damage that occurs will reduce your insulin production capability.

I am a slim T2 who's condition may have been caused by a hormonal imbalance. I've been diagnosed that I produce excessive Prolactin which appears to have led to some weight gain (not huge) as Prolactin is known to stimulates insulin production and also has links to causing insulin resistance. My BG's ran uncontrolled for roughly a year prior to diagnosis which damaged a good proportion of my beta cells. I used LC to regain control of my BG's and to lose weight and I am now well controlled using just diet and Metformin. Nearly two years down the line since diagnosis even though I have lost a lot of insulin resistance I still have to follow a carb restricted regime because my first phase insulin response is pretty shot to pieces although losing weight and insulin resistance has increased my carb tolerance by a reasonable amount.

My eldest son is T1 and also suffers from insulin resistance problems so insulin resistance isn't necessarily just a T2 condition. If you are T1 and have insulin resistance issues then I believe it is called "double diabetes"

magicaldebs

I'm always confused by this.
I'm Diabetic Type 2 diagnosed when I was in my late 40's, I'm overweight so it all fits with Type 2 (I'm being slightly sarcastic btw, I know not all Type 2s are overweight). However I have a strong family history of Diabetes, my Father was Diabetic (he was as skinny as a whippet) and both Grandmothers on both sides were Diabetic. High urinary sugars were first detected when I was 14 years old, I had high urinary sugars throughout all four pregnancies and a Glucose Tolerance Test when I was 21 (and only 9 stone) showed that I was pre diabetic.
The differences between Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes seem to be unclear to me. What is the difference in a case like mine?

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been T1 now for 47 years and over this time I've been told I don't look like a diabetic, including nurses at a Diabetic Clinic I used to attend. Recently saw a cardiologist who told me I don't look like a 59 year old diabetic (not sure what he was expecting!). Can someone tell me what a diabetic looks like!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's always puzzled me. Perhaps we are suppposed to look all sick and pasty, walk with a stoop a shuffle along looking at the ground:lol:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diabetics look like people :shock:
They come in all shapes sizes ages and colours
Vive la differance
CAROL

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thundercat said:
It's always puzzled me. Perhaps we are suppposed to look all sick and pasty, walk with a stoop a shuffle along looking at the ground:lol:

So does that mean I shouldn't have had a season's best at tonight's time trial and enjoyed the pain :D

Marfmama

I get the opposite, "do you want some cake?" / " no thanks I'm diabetic" / "oh that's why you're so slim you lucky thing" - yes hahahah got to love this chronic illness, thank god I'm not FAT. Women are crazy.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App[/quote]

So does that mean I shouldn't have had a season's best at tonight's time trial and enjoyed the pain :D[/quote]

Are you crazy?? Exercising in your condition!! Quick, sit down - better yet lie down! :lol:

PS Congrats on your time trial. If I may ask an ignorant question, what is your sport?

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
last night was cycling. I'm also a runner and do yoga.

I used to play rugby many years ago, but that got too painful.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am forever promising myself I will get fitter but can't motivate myself beyond walking now and then. My mom is 83 and is on her exercise bike everyday. Puts me to shame really

LittleWolf

I have always been around 110lbs and lost even more lately since I took up pole fitness/ballet. You can see my ribs clearly, I have a 22 inch waist and get away with wearing children's sizes.

When I tell my doctor about readings in the teens he still chuckles and jokes that I am an artist and 'artists brains, they have a *unique* way of looking at things too analytically, hehehe...'

If I start seeing numbers above 15 I get scared to eat and will literally just starve for 2 or 3 days. GP is unconcerned despite me having real problems with anorexia in the past. I look at myself in the mirror and think about the lengths I went to be thin- I don't 'look like a diabetic'. Am I just crazy.

smcc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is a very interesting thread. I was diagnosed as type 1 diabetes in 1968 at the age of 25, after a few weeks of increasing thirst, polyuria and weight loss. At that time I was nearing the end of my pre-registration year as a doctor. I entered GP not long after this and the practice had a very small number of diabetics. The majority of the type 2s were elderly and overweight. Over the course of my years in practice the number of type 2s increased as did their weight. The age of the type 2 population dropped dramatically. We are now in the situation that type 2 diabetes is developing commonly in the 30s and 40s and the weight profile has increased.

There is no doubt in my mind that the main reasons for the huge increase in type 2 diabetes are the change in diet and the reduction in physical activity over the years.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
smcc said:
There is no doubt in my mind that the main reasons for the huge increase in type 2 diabetes are the change in diet and the reduction in physical activity over the years.

Poor nutrition and low levels of physical activity are the main culprits yes. Nauru has the highest incidence in the world, around 40% of the population. They used to be fit and healthy until in 1968 they started their rise to become one of the richest parts, due to phosphate mining. Instead of fishing and growing crops, they shopped in stores and sat at home and in office etc.

elaine77

smcc said:

Completely agree with this.

I think when the government suggested a low fat high carb diet it was completely detrimental as that diet should ONLY be used for people who do strenuous exercise every day. Exercise levels have dropped dramatically so all these carbs are just building up fat and nothing else.

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.