Who saw the channel 4 programme yesterday?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I watched the thing and ended up furious. the programme definitely imlied that 2 of the "guinea pigs" had put their T2 into remission. and this was shown by their normal fasting glucose.
I KNOW my T2 is still there and I haven't had a fasting higher than normal for YEARS.
Hana

A

Anonymous

hanadr said:
I watched the thing and ended up furious. the programme definitely imlied that 2 of the "guinea pigs" had put their T2 into remission. and this was shown by their normal fasting glucose.
I KNOW my T2 is still there and I haven't had a fasting higher than normal for YEARS.
Hana

Let's face it. A waste of what could have been a good hour's viewing. Just a plug for Newcastle University MRI unit and a dietician.

vertical188

I'm new to diabetes and just finding my way around what is known about it. I did see the C4 programme last night and found it to be the usual mix of entertainment and melodrama, with a little science, but not much, thrown in. And yes it did 'conclude' that two of the guinea pigs had 'reversed' their T2D. But what does that mean, other than that they have normal blood glucose levels? Hana, you say that your glucose has been normal for years but that you still have diabetes - how do you know that? Perhaps yours has reversed too?
Regards
Bill

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
It was a complete loss of an hour of my life, they couldn't have picked fatter women who appeared to not have a clue about diabetes or their role in taking responsibility for trying to lower blood glucose levels and the woman who had bariatric surgery who used to be a Nursing Sister, shame on you, on all of you.

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What really annoyed me was they picked the stereo type obese women . Diabetics come in all shapes and sizes and it would have been better to have a cross section of society who suffer from type 2 diabetes.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I watched it this morning on play back. I'm T1 and so don't know much about T2 but even then it just annoyed me.

What a load of twaddle!

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
Annoyed me too. All of the guinea pigs were obese. Not all type 2 are obese.
Plus were they still taking their medication or did they stop the medication for the trial?

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They made such a big deal about the COST of supporting type 2s. It's not like anyone who has it asked to have diabetes. Ridiculous

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
According to my DSN, I have normal blood sugar levels now and am no longer a Diabatic.

except that if I eat anything like cake, my levels skyrocket and it takes me 24 hours to get back down properly.

So I think her conclusion, and the information in that programme is actually dangerous. It gave the impression that one is cured and no longer in danger. Has it been reported to the authorities for dangerous advice?

I shudder to think of what would have happened to the progression of my diabetes by now, if i hadnt had fourms to inform me, and a meter to test in order to be aware that I am in remission for as long as I am very careful, and may become Diabetic again at any time.

Also the focus on cost sickened me. I am self funding test strips as my DSN has proclaimed me cured, and therefore no longer in need of strips. I am on a low income, but consider testing to be vital.

I wonder if these types of programmes are to soften public opinion to the idea that type 2 diabetics are to blame for their condition and should not be treated on the NHS?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Bill
my diabetes hasn't reversed. My fasting BG is NORMAL, because I eat very little of the foods which can put glucose into the blood. I'm certain that if I did an Oral Glucose Tolerance Test, I would end up with high blood glucose and confirm I'm still diabetic. What I am is a CONTROLLED diabetic Today's Hba1c result 40 [5.8%] Not too bad, but still a little on the high side. If I "Cheat" my bg goes up quite quickly.
Hana

sparkyrich

lucylocket61 said:
So I think her conclusion, and the information in that programme is actually dangerous. It gave the impression that one is cured and no longer in danger. Has it been reported to the authorities for dangerous advice?

Maybe a whole load of us should fire off a grizzle about this programme. I've no quibble with the concept of SOME T2s being able to gain better control by losing weight- heck, it's what I'm trying to do. My objection is with the pair of tv wannabes (didn't see the first five minutes so don't know who they were) who announced / pronounced one girl cured. Have they been put up for a Nobel prize? My understanding is that even T2 (said in a voice dripping with sarcasm) cannot be cured.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I've e-mailed them, saying how dangerous it was to state that she was 'cured'. If people watch it they may think they can carry on eating in the same way.

Northernangel

I'm sorry to say but I enjoyed the programme and found it informative..
The message I got was those ladies where not controlling there diabeties regarding there diet and they all admitted that!
They where put on the diets 40/30/30
and shakes .. Which improved there diabeties! (Which it would)
The diabetes being reversed? Well?
Could it be if they reduced there weight, by doing this maybe what they where trying to say was too much fat within liver and pancreas prevents normal insulin action and prevents normal insulin secretion. By reducing there weight this kick starts it again?
Just a thought guys.
But I do think the programme was targeting the overweight diabetics because if they had someone on a healthy diet there would be no improvment?

Northernangel

Also these people would have to stick to
that diet because if not and they went back to eating the way they did then they would put back on there weight blood sugars would go back up and they are diabetic again? So only cured while they stick to it!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Depends what your idea of "cure" is. If you no longer have signs/symptoms, normal BG levels and not on any medication, would you consider that a cure ?
If modifying your diet can bring the above results for Parkinsons Disease as an example, would you say that was a cure ?
Different people will have different views.
This is The Oxford Dictionary Definition

verb
[with object]
1relieve (a person or animal) of the symptoms of a disease or condition:
he was cured of the disease
eliminate (a disease or condition) with medical treatment:
this technology could be used to cure diabetes

mandydowns

Hi

If you go to the Channel 4 website you can make a comment/complaint about this programme very easily.

I feel very strongly about some of the comments made and would urge anyone who feels the same to make their voice heard.

Dangerous comments made about 'curing' diabetes by professional people - unbelieveable!! :thumbdown:

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Can I just chime in with a cure is a word/term to mean permanent state of riddence of disease/condition .
As in its GONE forever ...

If the ladies were to revert back to any POOR self management/control of their eating/lifestyle routine
Then the return of the disease/condition could be possible .
Hence no real permanent cure . (as in gone for good)

It is a worry :problem: that a programme showing/using HCP's sending out a very different message .
With the term/word of being a perspective cure so loosely .

This was the only bit I was unsure off - when they gave the ladies results out in the programme .

Anna .

trotskyite

So Mandy/Anna et al would you have a problem with an obese person who has lost weight now being called normal weight? Your logic seems to dictate that they should always be called obese as most people who lose weight will put it back on again and they are never "cured" of their obesity.
Also when the gene that affects levels of hepatic fat etc is identified people should be called diabetic even though they have not attained the levels of intra liver fat needed to become type2 diabetic?

These people are "cured" or reversed, if you prefer,as they have not got diabetes which is the inability to control blood glucose. They have a propensity to get diabetes (type2) when their own personal levels of liver/pancreatic fat become such that their bodies stop being able to control their blood glucose.

Your argument is semantics and conveniently excludes the ,admittedly, small percentage of people who do lose the weight needed to truly reverse their diagnosis and have the willpower and commitment to make lifestyle change so they stay that way. Also the many people who if they consumed excessive calories over time would become diabetic with increase in liver fat.

Keith Frayn, Professor of Human Metabolism, University of Oxford, said:
“For many years, doctors have believed that Type 2 diabetes is a life-long condition: it can be treated, but not cured. In the last few years, that idea has been disproved.
Prof Roy Taylor, Newcastle University:
"Our work has shown that type 2 diabetes is not inevitably progressive and life-long. We have demonstrated that in people who have had type 2 diabetes for 4 years or less, major weight loss returns insulin secretion to normal.This new understanding of what causes type 2 diabetes and how it can be completely reversed has been used by individuals worldwide, and their experiences have now been published"

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
would you have a problem with an obese person who has lost weight now being called normal weight? Your logic seems to dictate that they should always be called obese as most people who lose weight will put it back on again and they are never "cured" of their obesity.

sorry, but that is flawed logic. A person who loses weight knows, and is told that they will always have the propensity to regain that weight. Everywhere you look the info is there for them.

So, by that logic, the diabetics who get their blood glucose levels back to normal must be told that there is a likelihood that their diabetes will return if they go back to gaining weight.

The point being made on this thread is that those people are not being told that fact. They are being told they are cured, regardless of how they choose to eat in the future. They are not being warned of the likely risk of resuming their old eating habits. This is wrong.

And, as a side point, people are not cured of obesity. Our bodies retain their ability to put on unwanted weight. Only our control of our diets prevents obesity. So that logic is flawed too.