Fish and Chips

gemma486

anna29 said:
Hi All.
Here - in the northwest [preston area]
We have an award winning fish n chip shop .
Folk will queue till get served !

I always play safe and choose a small ale based lightly battered fish with
a small portion of peas -absolutely - [NO CHIPS]
This will raise my levels by 3.5 to 4.5 took me a while to see
this is the certain rise and pattern with this meal.

Only have this about 3 times a year 'if' that :thumbup:
Its knowing what does in foods spike a little or too much ...

Hope this helps .

Anna.
Which chippy is it the one near the market I am at uni in Preston I have always been to the chippy near the market they are the best chips

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Lucyturner

gemma486 said:
anna29 said:
Hi All.
Here - in the northwest [preston area]
We have an award winning fish n chip shop .
Folk will queue till get served !

I always play safe and choose a small ale based lightly battered fish with
a small portion of peas -absolutely - [NO CHIPS]
This will raise my levels by 3.5 to 4.5 took me a while to see
this is the certain rise and pattern with this meal.

Only have this about 3 times a year 'if' that :thumbup:
Its knowing what does in foods spike a little or too much ...

Hope this helps .

Anna.
Which chippy is it the one near the market I am at uni in Preston I have always been to the chippy near the market they are the best chips

I was wondering the same I live in Preston and I know of 2 good chippy' s one is west end near lane ends and the other is blue sky which is a Chinese that does fish and chips in Ribbleton.

Lucy

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love fish and chips there is one in Great Harwood which is great ,thin batter cooked in proper lard I eat all of the fish and about 1/3 of the batter and 1 or 2 of husbands chips ,the fish are so big that I am full with that but the smell is divine and that keeps me going for days :lol:
CAROL

DaveNN

carty said:
I love fish and chips there is one in Great Harwood which is great ,thin batter cooked in proper lard I eat all of the fish and about 1/3 of the batter and 1 or 2 of husbands chips ,the fish are so big that I am full with that but the smell is divine and that keeps me going for days :lol:
CAROL
There used to be a chippy ( might still be there) on the main main road in harwood where you had to queue out the door each and every lunchtime.
Holly tree chippy in bburn is supposedly the best in the area...
The bestest Indian for miles is the anaz in Darwen.
Not the cheapest...but why should it be.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Fraddycat said:
I find chips to be really toxic to my blood sugar, I can't eat them at all. I had a burger without the bread and about 6 - 8 chunky chips while out a few weeks ago and my BGs shot up to 8.5 at +2 hours of eating. I'm not happy with these numbers so I now avoid ... :(

Try the same and add some vinegar on the chips you might just be surprised Fraddycat :wink:

Learn a few cheats and it opens up all sorts of food :D Although I probably wouldnt try chunky chips...That could still be a chip too far :lol:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Dave
Roe Lee chippy in blackburn is the best one in the area I make my own curries so dont use Indian takeaways .The Asian shops are great for buying all you need.
CAROL

DaveNN

carty said:
Hi Dave
Roe Lee chippy in blackburn is the best one in the area I make my own curries so dont use Indian takeaways .The Asian shops are great for buying all you need.
CAROL
Hi,
Not been to that one THB, it's to the north of the town and I'm way on the other side of the metropolis.
Holly Tree is a few minutes from me, likewise the Anaz.
It's not a take away ( I don't use them, not for a long time...though the kyber caff is still one of the best, along with Shad House) and I tend to only eat at the Anaz when I'm in the mood for a curry..
Plus they have excellent draught beer and are happy to serve my middle son with a kingfisher, he's still underage - but looks a lot older and is very sensible when it comes to having the occasional beer or brandy.

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think I've ever had good chips in East Anglia. The fish are good sometimes, but they always cook the chips in oil which tastes rancid and greasy. I make my own occasionally, cut thin, rinsed of starch, well dried, and blitzed in a wok with dripping or lard. Sprinkle with vinegar. Lots of salt.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Etty said:
I don't think I've ever had good chips in East Anglia. The fish are good sometimes, but they always cook the chips in oil which tastes rancid and greasy. I make my own occasionally, cut thin, rinsed of starch, well dried, and blitzed in a wok with dripping or lard. Sprinkle with vinegar. Lots of salt.
When I went "darn sarf" I was horrified to discover the saveloy.
(No offence my southern friends:lol:)

@myroomsadisco

DaveNN

MCMLXXIII said:
Etty said:
When I went "darn sarf" I was horrified to discover the saveloy.
(No offence my southern friends:lol:)

@myroomsadisco

Is darn sarf a euphemism?

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A euphemism is a generally innocuous word or expression used in place of one that may be found offensive or suggest something unpleasant.
In this case I was attempting the phonetic cockney*.
*cockneys are lovely people.

@myroomsadisco

Lucyturner

I was born a southerner and still classes myself as one I may have moved when I was only 5 but have kept my accent as much as possible and my dad is a London cabbie, and I go down to see all me relatives as much as I can, I used to love saveloys but you can't get them anywhere up north.

Lucy

DaveNN

MCMLXXIII said:
A euphemism is a generally innocuous word or expression used in place of one that may be found offensive or suggest something unpleasant.
In this case I was attempting the phonetic cockney*.
*cockneys are lovely people.

@myroomsadisco

Do have a read of your sentence which included the term saveloy. ;-)

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Etty said:
I don't think I've ever had good chips in East Anglia. The fish are good sometimes, but they always cook the chips in oil which tastes rancid and greasy.

We still have a few chippies that fry them in beef dripping. People travel for miles because they taste so much better. The fish fillets thesedays are however disappointing. They are much thinner because of the reliance on farmed cod and haddock.

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
well i eat fish from my local fish & chip shop at least once a week. i always ask for Haddock, with no salt and vinegar. im type 1 ok my reading only slightly increases. But if i eat Youngs & Birdseye fish the blood sugar readings are alot higher,the contents of the batter could be the problem.

Daff

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Brussel sprouts and aubergines...
What Whitbyjet stated with regard to fish and chips is absolutely correct! I ate the best fish and chips I ever tasted up there! :thumbup:
I have f&c perhaps once a year, but save the experience for one of my visits to North Yorkshire... Dee-lish!

lukkymik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The opposites of above!!!!
Coatham Chippy near Redcar N Yorks again!!! used to get its fish straight off the brothers boat ..... I now live down in Reading so to the chap in Reading... SFC on Wensley Road Coley Park is rated 5* and worthy of them. Regularly queuing out the door but well worth the wait. An irregular treat but yummmy!!!

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think what Daff and lukkymik are saying is that, if the fish is not caught in a coble, it ain't worth eating.

250px-Coble_SH105_1_(Nigel_Coates).jpg

Daff

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Brussel sprouts and aubergines...
Yorksman said:
I think what Daff and lukkymik are saying is that, if the fish is not caught in a coble, it ain't worth eating.

250px-Coble_SH105_1_(Nigel_Coates).jpg

That'll do for me Yorks! :D
I'm off to Scarborough early October to visit my dear old friend. She will be dragged to Whitby (gorgeous place...) kicking and screaming for F & C!

lukkymik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The opposites of above!!!!
Absolutely spot on lad by eck. 'appen as more people on 'ere 'l unnerstand what stuff from proper chip-oil shud taste like.

At this point one should probably appologise if one has offended anyone by ones apparently uncouth language..

Tough .. It aint appening lol

When 90% of southerners remember there's no "R" in BATH i'll stop talkin proper alreet!!!

Now y'all Have a nice day!!!